Would like some info about the 330i x-drive - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 09:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
Thanks but I don't like the looks of the long Lexus front grille...would bother me every time I see it. Otherwise I'd gladly test drive one.

Also, try VW Passat VR6 4 motion. You would be surprised with that vehicle and VR6 is absolutely bulletproof engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
To OP, if u are in group F market(major metro areas), brand new 2019 G20 3 series have steep discounts as new 2020 is coming out. Do check with local dealers, seek out high volume/internet sales people to inquire.

Also are u in PZEV/TZEV states(PZEV phased out and TZEV takes over since 2018)? If so these PZEV/TZEV have 15 years/150000 miles warranty on expensive emission parts.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto:
How about the Kia Cadenza???
Old 08-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Not even close. It cannot go into same sentence with BMW.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Not even close. It cannot go into same sentence with BMW.

Based on what? It gets a top rating for large cars and has an impressive array of features AND has Apple Car Play that wouldn't charge me $80 /year.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
You will do yourself a world of good by test driving one. My 328 is 183 inches long; to me, that's significantly smaller than your 207" Riv. Yes, it's longer than an A3 or CLA, but comparing to the smallest in class is not where I think you want to be.

You've driven a cushy boat for 20+ years. Take a day going around town and driving some of your possible replacement cars; narrow down what you like, and eliminate what you don't like. I think you will quickly find that a 3-Series feels way different than your Riv--you may like it; you may not.

In the luxury makes, if I were you, here's some additional cars I'd consider:
Genesis G70
Lexus GS
Infiniti Q50
Upcoming Caddy CT5
MB E Class (or C Class if you think the size is right)
Volvo S60

Good luck.
My mechanic says to not even think about Volvo...says they're going out of business? Bankrupt? Otherwise, yes, the S60 was on my list. Don't like the Lexus front grill design. Infiniti doesn't have Apple Car Play. I put Genesis on my list though.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:39 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
My mechanic says to not even think about Volvo...says they're going out of business? Bankrupt? Otherwise, yes, the S60 was on my list. Don't like the Lexus front grill design. Infiniti doesn't have Apple Car Play. I put Genesis on my list though.
Your mechanic is Jim Cramer? If he thinks Volvos are mechanically unsound, or expensive to maintain, fine. Financially, take a look yourself--his data is probably about a decade old.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission

Last edited by tex2670; 08-08-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto:
Who's Jim Cramer anyway? All my mechanic said is that Volvo is going out of business.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 X2 M35
I have been reading this thread with some amusement and similar feelings to OP and the some of the folks who responded. I went through this in March/April time frame. FWIW, I was driving a BMW 335x (all wheel drive, 6cyl., manual) my first BMW. I have always liked the European feel, had a bunch of Saabs and a Volvo back in the day. Before the BMW I was driving an Acura TSX (stick 4 cyl and just before the stick same car automatic) I shopped the Mini clubman all road hybrid, the Alfa Giulia (not the quad) , the s60 a BMW 330x and the new Volvo s60 polestar add-on (I like speed) and somehow a BMW X2 M35 worked its way into contention. The new Volvo cam in second, I couldn't get past that Volvo is now owned by a Chinese company even though the car is built here. The Mini was nice, roomy handled well, just not fast enough. The Alfa was amazing, quick, handled great, could have found a good deal but (you knew that was coming) they are truly unreliable. I need a car that drives well. I ended up with the X2 M35 a small SUV (I know SAV). The car is a blast to drive, fast handles surprisingly well and has a practical side which Mrs. Rounderman appreciates. I leased this since I don't hold as long as you do (as an aside I am 65) but I appreciate the ease of getting in and out of car that does not sit on the ground. As has been mentioned drive a few. BMWs are not cheap to maintain but generally speaking they seem to last well. My 2013 has been rock solid only routine maintenance. I guess another choice as I think and tyoe would be an Acura, reliable, handles well, can be had with all wheel drive and can be optioned up with all the luxury stiff you want.

I personally enjoy the hunt so good hunting to you and let us know where you end up
Old 08-08-2019, 12:53 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Your mechanic is an idiot. Since 2010, Volvo has been owned by Chinese automaker Geely Holding Group. Even Jim Cramer knows that.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 08-08-2019, 12:56 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
By the way, if you're going to hang out here, you should learn the rules (Terms of Use). Bimmerfest states that posting the same question in 2 or more forums is SPAM and a violation. You're now asking essentially the same question in 3 different forums. Enough already.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 08-08-2019, 01:05 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
but then will still stay in the luxury class with something else.
Quote:
I can't really square these 2 statements. Are you just messing with us?

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 08-08-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Based on what? It gets a top rating for large cars and has an impressive array of features AND has Apple Car Play that wouldn't charge me $80 /year.

I could explain you, but at this point I think you are just lazy to do any kind of research. Go get KIA. BMW in all honesty is not for you.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto:
Not messing with anybody...but can see I apparently over-stayed my welcome. Like most forums I frequent for awhile, I seem to wind up being accused of trolling at some point. Ok then. As was said, "enough already". Edycol.....seriously? All I've BEEN doing is research...reading reviews, doing comparisons, etc. I posted to more than one forum here because of asking about both the 3 and 5 series. Sorry to have apparently ruffled some feathers.

Last edited by three4rd; 08-08-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:46 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
Like most forums I frequent for awhile, I seem to wind up being accused of trolling at some point.
So this happens to you frequently, but we're the bad ones. Got it.

Best of luck with your search.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderman View Post
I have been reading this thread with some amusement and similar feelings to OP and the some of the folks who responded. I went through this in March/April time frame. FWIW, I was driving a BMW 335x (all wheel drive, 6cyl., manual) my first BMW. I have always liked the European feel, had a bunch of Saabs and a Volvo back in the day. Before the BMW I was driving an Acura TSX (stick 4 cyl and just before the stick same car automatic) I shopped the Mini clubman all road hybrid, the Alfa Giulia (not the quad) , the s60 a BMW 330x and the new Volvo s60 polestar add-on (I like speed) and somehow a BMW X2 M35 worked its way into contention. The new Volvo cam in second, I couldn't get past that Volvo is now owned by a Chinese company even though the car is built here. The Mini was nice, roomy handled well, just not fast enough. The Alfa was amazing, quick, handled great, could have found a good deal but (you knew that was coming) they are truly unreliable. I need a car that drives well. I ended up with the X2 M35 a small SUV (I know SAV). The car is a blast to drive, fast handles surprisingly well and has a practical side which Mrs. Rounderman appreciates. I leased this since I don't hold as long as you do (as an aside I am 65) but I appreciate the ease of getting in and out of car that does not sit on the ground. As has been mentioned drive a few. BMWs are not cheap to maintain but generally speaking they seem to last well. My 2013 has been rock solid only routine maintenance. I guess another choice as I think and tyoe would be an Acura, reliable, handles well, can be had with all wheel drive and can be optioned up with all the luxury stiff you want.

I personally enjoy the hunt so good hunting to you and let us know where you end up
The 'not cheap maintenance and repairs' seems to be a general theme that is emerging both here and elsewhere in my research. That alone might be enough to sway me from BMW, having spent $31k+ in repairs and parts (including 2 replacement engines and 1 transmission replacement) on the Riviera. Loved the car, but it was not kind to me in that regard. Often felt that it liked my local auto repair shop better than my garage! I think I'm done here for now...will test drive and go from there. Thanks to all for the input. Most helpful.

Last edited by three4rd; 08-08-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
So this happens to you frequently, but we're the bad ones. Got it.

Best of luck with your search.
Didn't accuse anyone here of anything. Just the nature of many forums the way it seems. The power of anonymity. Happens both behind the wheel and computer screen all the time. Just stating fact. Nothing directed personally. Sorry if taken that way.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The 'not cheap maintenance and repairs' seems to be a general theme that is emerging both here and elsewhere in my research. That alone might be enough to sway me from BMW, having spent $31k+ in repairs and parts (including 2 replacement engines and 1 transmission replacement) on the Riviera. Loved the car, but it was not kind to me in that regard. Often felt that it liked my local auto repair shop better than my garage! I think I'm done here for now...will test drive and go from there. Thanks to all for the input. Most helpful.

You have to realize that there is huge difference between cars like Buick and BMW. BMW way out of that league. Luxury car is not only what is inside. It is what is under the hood. BMWís are actually very stout vehicles, but if you expect to go to Wal Mart and pick up any jug of oil, forget it (and oil is not anymore expensive for BMW, but it is very specific). If you going to maintain car in dealership, get ready for brakes in range of $1500-2000. Of course you can DIY for friction of the price or 1/2 price at indy. If your indy is telling you these bogus excuses why you should not get Volvo , that means he is not comfortable with anything more sophisticated.
But you need to understand that there is much more that makes luxury sports car than just comfortable ride. How is engine positioned? Cheap way like in KIA or Buick or proper way like in BMW? What is suspension? Simple McPhearson or double wishbone? How is weight distribution? Who makes transmission? You ainít gonna get ZF8 in KIA or Buick.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto:
I'm sure you're right and know far more about all of this than I do. Interestingly, though, my mechanic owns and drives BMW. Thanks again...interesting info. I have no idea why he's so down on many other cars. I don't argue with him cause he always says that they 'see it all the time' with what comes in the shop and what needs to be done to these various other makes and models. Still, I'm a bit skeptical of some of it and think he might have a thing going with the local BMW dealer (it's his neighbor) being that he asked me to check with him first to arrange a test-drive and direct me to the right person. So, possibly gets a percentage of any sales from referrals?

Last edited by three4rd; 08-08-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you're right and know far more about all of this than I do. Interestingly, though, my mechanic owns and drives BMW. Thanks again...interesting info. I have no idea why he's so down on many other cars. I don't argue with him cause he always says that they 'see it all the time' with what comes in the shop and what needs to be done to these various other makes and models. Still, I'm a bit skeptical of some of it and think he might have a thing going with the local BMW dealer (it's his neighbor) being that he asked me to check with him first to arrange a test-drive and direct me to the right person. So, possibly gets a percentage of any sales from referrals?

You need to try several different cars. You will never get answer here or somewhere else that will answer your question.
First and foremost you need to decide what is your priority? Reliability or ultimate driving experience?
If you still want reliable Euro car, VW might be an answer as many maintenance stuff is cheaper and requires less labor. I had VW CC which was excellent car for a FWD car. Inside was almost on par with Audi. Great turbo 4, DSG transmission.
But if you want to forget maintenance, get Lexus. I got myself Toyota minivan for family hauling. Miserable driving experience, but pretty dumb proof.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks edycol. Agreed on the need to now go out and look / test. The internet research and comparisons, while helpful to narrow down choices, can go on indefinitely.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks edycol. Agreed on the need to now go out and look / test. The internet research and comparisons, while helpful to narrow down choices, can go on indefinitely.

Yes. You will get info on maintenance. But ultimately, question is what you like. Do you need snow capable car? While XDrive is good, VW/Audiís are better in snow as a. Audi has best AWD in business, and b. Both VW and Audi are nose heavy, not good in cutting corners, but really good in snow.
Then, while you donít like Lexus grill, you might find it good driving wise. Donít forget, Buick customers moved to Toyota Avalon, while Cadillac/Lincoln customers moved to Lexus. It might appeal to you.
But, ultimately if you really want BMW get it, then research as much as possible, then ask pointed questions if you need clarification and you will. Generally European cars are not that more difficult, but it is different philosophy from Asian and American cars due to European road demands and cultural differences.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
Quote:
Honestly, the car you have described sounds to me like a Buick Regal GS Sportback.

Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 08-09-2019, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto:
Glad we were able to humor you....but rest assured I won't be buying a Regal!
Old 08-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 X2 M35
Seriously, check out both the TLX or RLX from Acura, it just might hit the sweet spot for you in terms of handling, luxury and they are Hondas, well built. They may not be tops in any one category but I have owned 3 and liked them all
Closed Thread

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search