My 335i Coupe pricing inquiries from 31 dealers.. SouthWest USA (Enjoy the long read) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-19-2006, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
My 335i Coupe pricing inquiries from 31 dealers.. SouthWest USA (Enjoy the long read)

I hope this is the correct section for this, if it's not, moderators please move it to the right area, I appologize in advance.

This post is for informational purposes based on my experiences alone. All of the information I am providing is fact based upon emails sent from all of the respective names and dealerships I worked with when I started my hunt for a 'fair' price on a new 2007 335i Coupe. I have included all of their names and contact information pulled straight from the signatures of their response emails or off the BMW USA website in case you want to do business with one of them based on my findings. I take no responsibility for typos, and appologize in advance if I made any. This is not meant to bash any dealership, every dealership has it's pros and cons, but this was MY experience when buying a new 335i Coupe, and MY opinions.

I sent 31 requests for pricing to dealers... I received 23 responses back, 2 of which were from the same dealer. That means out of 31 dealers I asked, only 22 cared enough to respond. I did very little negotiating, and wanted to see what dealers were offering before I tried to get lower pricing.

To set the stage, I sent the exact same e-mail / web form to every single dealer on this list, I listed a very specific car, the invoice price, and the MSRP price for that vehicle. I then asked two simple questions... "What's your price on this car? And when is your next build date/production number available?". I didn't provide any info I found from other dealers, I just listed Invoice, MSRP, and asked what they would sell it for, and when I could get it. I know I have to order the car, not many dealerships have the vehicle, let alone the exact things I want on mine, I accepted that before I even started this process. I handled all of my responses in a nice and courteous manner, I asked the same style of questions to every single dealer that responded to me. I'm an honest and straight forward business man, tell me the bottom line and skip the BS in the middle, especially if I already know what I want (which most of us here do, we want a specific BMW). My feeling is if you do right by me, I will always do right by you, until that trust barrier breaks, we'll continue to do repeat business ventures.

I want to note that it seems a handful of these dealers use "dealerspace.com" to handle their internet leads, and I must say that they should all re-evaluate their agreements with this company. All of them have the same online web form, and all of them generate the same template email, including all of the broken variables. If you're going to host several dealer websites, their credibility and reputation are on the line, and you are doing them a giant dis-service by not having that form, or that e-mail response working correctly. Not to mention, it would be nice to have individuality between dealership response letters, I mean who wants to be "just another dealer?" ... Ever think to maybe ask the dealers what they would like their e-mail response letter to say? Maybe you do ask them, and maybe you can make them different, if that's the case, then some of these dealers should really make the effort to change the default letter, because it's poor quality.

I live in Southern Nevada and our dealership availability is limited (we have 2 dealerships in a 200 mile area, not much for options), and due to that those dealerships tend to strong hold their customers because they know most people don't want to go 200+ miles to another state to find a car. Well, I don't mind the distance and my research and time opened my eyes to some interesting things about purchasing this car. This is not my first new car purchase, in fact it's my 8th "New" dealership car, so I've been through all the usual games that dealers play. Here are the facts that I found about our Southern West Coast BMW dealers despite what your dealer may tell you about pricing and availability of this car. All of the dealers COULD get the car .. it was just a matter of WHEN they could get it .. almost all of them had production numbers for builds in January with a February delivery, I only found 1 dealership who had a December build date, and I found 1 dealership who had a February build date... most were January, which means that the market is fairly stable and you're going to get the same timeframe no matter where you go in this region if you order your car, so service, pricing, and experience are even more important since you will be getting your car around the same time regardless.

There are a few dealers below that I want to mention directly, take extra time when reading about these 3, they really were over and above the rest when it came to service, friendlyness and general responsiveness. These 3 were just damn great through my entire process. I would happily purchase from any of them, but only one could earn my business.

Ben Majidi - Chapman BMW on Camelback, Phoenix AZ
Chris Pruitt - Savage BMW, Ontario, CA
Greg Poland - Pacific BMW, Glendale, CA

Enjoy!

--

Henry Male - BMW North Scottsdale
480-538-3980
[email protected]
Phoenix, Arizona
Best Price Offered - $500 off MSRP, resistant to negotiation, production number available, January build time.
A persistant man, friendly, and generally very responsive to e-mails, but not the best price.

Brad Williams - BMW of Palm Springs
760-324-7071 x410
[email protected]
Palm Springs, California
Best Price Offered - $1,000 off MSRP, fairly good price, production number available, January build time.
Informative form letter response, but friendly and helpful when I replied with questions.

Chris Pruitt - Savage BMW
909-230-5988
[email protected]
Ontario, California
Best Price Offered - $1,750 over invoice, regardless of options, no questions asked. Production available, January build time.
Chris was just fantastic, no hassle at all, he nailed the price coming out the gate and was just pleasant to deal with. He was kind, courteous and helpful. He knew his product, he knew his market, he knew what others were charging and he still beat them. He gave me the feeling that his price was fair given the market condition, and he'd be happy to help me regardless if I bought my car from him, he offered to drive the car to me if I was out of state, or ship it for a few hundred dollars. To me, that says a lot. So thanks Chris, it was tough to choose, if I ever buy a 2nd BMW, I assure you, I will be knocking on your door.

Ron Lu - Assael BMW
626-358-4269
[email protected]
Monrovia, California
Best Price Offered - MSRP, not open to negotiation at all.
Ron was a grade A prick. Rude, arrogant, unhelpful, and told me the pricing other dealers were offering was not true, then he became sarcastic and started asking me where he could buy one for that price because it was too good to be true, and please inform him where he could get more than one so he could resell them at his dealership (Yah, clearly as noted by all these dealers, getting a price under MSRP is hard to do), He then told me if I could get such a great price, I should just go buy it from them then. (Newsflash Ron, I did, and I got a great price) After going back and forth with him a few times, I would never do business with him, he is a prime example of the car salesman you dread ever meeting.

David Boerman - Henderson BMW of Nevada
702-807-4271
[email protected]
Henderson, Nevada
Best Price Offered - $500 off MSRP, not open for negotiation. Production available, January build time.
David was nice, responsive, and up front on his pricing. No complaints, just not the best price.

Roger Campbell - BMW of Las Vegas
702-809-3009
[email protected]
Las Vegas, Nevada
Best Price Offered - MSRP, no negotiation.
Roger is an interesting one.. he's brutally honest and blunt, some can take it to be rude but I like straight forwardness, he and his partner David Thoreson are definitely arrogant and think they have a gift for us all because they sell a high demand vehicle. I originally wrote a long long detailed story about these 2 guys and their dealership's management (who was less than stellar too), but I decided to delete that because it got too far off my point of this post. Here is my summary: Don't buy your car here, don't buy anything here, you will regret your decision, I learned the hard way, trust me... it was a painful painful experience and this dealership did things unimaginable by any dealership, I have never in my life been drug through such BS that this dealership drug me through. I learned a valuable and costly lesson, and this dealership is the whole reason I started this search for pricing and a better dealership. They sell at MSRP, they think they're doing you a favor there, they lied to me, they screwed my car order up even with a deposit down and a production number, they called me a liar when I said some dealers don't sell it at MSRP, I proved my statements with hard written documented and signed facts, then they changed stories on me and back peddled. Thanks, but no thanks, so my opinion: Avoid them at all costs.

Luigi Alvarez or Payman Zadeh - Shelly BMW
714-994-8100
[email protected]
Buena Park, California
Best Price Offered - Unknown, couldn't get any answers out of them via e-mail, they wanted to speak over the phone, and they won't stop e-mailing me their stupid template response letter.
This one has to be the most annoying one so far, they keep sending the same form letter to me over and over and over asking me if I've driven an "Unknown" vehicle before and do I need any help researching my "Unknown" vehicle. And how soon would I be interested in purchasing my "Unknown" vehicle. If you're going to use a template based form letter at least learn how to properly fill the fields that I inputted on your website. Thanks but no thanks.. you lost this sale on pure technical inability. And they are STILL e-mailing me this stupid form letter even after I responded to them... I'm up to 7 now.

Russ Fowler - South Bay BMW
310-939-7367
[email protected]
Torrance, California
Best Price Offered - Unknown, same as above... got 2 form letter responses, also with variables misplaced... as much as I'd love to buy a brand new "Unknown" .. I think i'd rather buy a BMW, I responded to the form letters anyways, and inquired about price, and they never responded... so much for customer service.

Jeff Kline - Bob Smith BMW
818-346-3144
[email protected]
Calabasas, California
Best Price Offered - $1,250 off MSRP, no questions asked, negotiation possible depending on additional options added.
Jeff was also a friendly and helpful individual. Although his initial e-mail was an automated response letter, and the e-mail address on it had a typo, once I actually got to him he was great to work with. Friendly, and straight forward about pricing, no head games... then it got interesting. 1 day later, he sent me another e-mail as if I was a new customer and he quoted me $1,000 off MSRP. Which is it Jeff? Is it $1,250, or is it $1,000? Do you even remember talking to me yesterday? Thankfully you were pleasant to deal with and very helpful, for many this would have been an instant deal breaker, but I give you the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure you deal with lots of people daily.

Jack Lorent - Cunningham BMW
619-442-8888
[email protected]
El Cajon, California
Best Price Offered - MSRP, fairly unwilling to negotiate.
Jack was a bit abbrasive. First he asked me if saving a few hundred dollars on a $50k car would make a difference in my purchase. (Tip Jack, not the best way to start off a conversation with a customer, asking them if money really matters on something so expensive.... of course money matters on ANY purchase) then after I responded letting him know that service, experience, and a fair price were all important, then he got defensive. At the end of the multi-email spread, he wasn't going to sell it for less than MSRP because that's "fair" in his mind, because he doesn't even have the car so it's not worth his time negotiating on a vehicle he doesn't even have available (Yah he actually said that... all dealers have to order it, imagine that .. I said that in my very first line of my message to you when asking about the price). You coulda saved me some time Jack and just said you were selling it for MSRP, instead of dragging me through several emails to get that answer.

Doug Alverson - Harloff BMW aka BMW Encinitas
760-753-6301
h[email protected]
Encinitas, California
Best Price Offered - Unknown, got a form letter response, and never heard a word from them after that.

Internet Sales (No name tied to it) - Long Beach BMW
562-427-5494
[email protected]
Signal Hill, California
Best Price Offered - Unknown, got a form letter response, and never heard from them after that.

Neda - Beverly Hills BMW
310-358-7827
[email protected]
Beverly Hills, California
Best Price Offered - Never came to one, back and forth on a few e-mails, no real answers.
Neda was very friendly, and very responsive, just never got to the goal of what the price was. I'm sure Neda would be great to work with once a price was set, she was persistant, and did respond fairly promptly.

Scott Callister - Bill Pearce Motors
775-826-2100
[email protected]
Reno, Nevada
Best Price Offered - %1 off MSRP (On a 50K Car, that's $500 off MSRP). He was open to negotiation, as long as I could provide proof that other dealers were discounting it beyond that, OR if I was a return customer.
I didn't respond to his e-mail, he gave me all the details and facts in his response, and it didn't sit well with me, no need to contact him back, I'm sure he'd be fine to work with, but it shouldn't matter if I'm a return customer or new customer to get a great price, and 1% isn't that great of a price.

Joe Chamoun - Bill Pearce Motors (NOTICE: Look above, a different guy, same dealership)
775-826-2100
[email protected]
Reno, Nevada
Best Price Offered - His response came 1 day after Scotts above. He told me to call him to discuss a price. I didn't bother, considering someone else from the dealership already responded to me, 1 day earlier, and gave me the info I needed. Chances are, he wasn't going to offer me a better price than Scott would, which wasn't super to begin with.

Candace Fisher - Brecht BMW
760-291-2819
[email protected]
San Diego, California
Best Price Offered - None received, the auto-response letter was so poor, I didn't even bother responding. I wish people would take a few minutes and at least look at the e-mail letters they send out before they go to customers. Another thing that would be great, is if you provide fields for people to fill in, read them before you respond so you have a clue what I'm interested in. To her credit though, she did follow up with me 7 days later to find out if I was still interested in the car, and if she could help me in any way (Didn't include a price though). Not the most timely response, but at least she followed through with it, so props to you Candace for at least trying but 7 days is too long, I bought my car 6 days ago, most of us future owners know what we want before we come to you and we move fast, which means you have to move even faster to earn the business.

Ben Majidi - Chapman BMW on Camelback
602-791-8559
[email protected]
Phoenix, Arizona
Best Price Offered - $1,800 off MSRP .. after some discussions and option changes on the vehicle, it ended up being $2,200 off MSRP or $1,700 over invoice depending on which you prefer.
I can't say enough good things about Ben, I was a stranger to him, I sent him my request, he responded with a phenominal price, with zero hassle. He was the 17th dealer I mailed out of 31, and after I got his response I knew that the next 14 probably didn't matter, he was in the game to sell cars and he knew exactly where he was on price and availability. He was friendly, honest, and went over and beyond. He provided me a rock bottom price, tossed in a couple of BMW freebies, offered to pick me up from the airport when I flew in to get my vehicle, offered me out of state temporary registration so I could get the car home safely if I didn't want it shipped, and to top it off I didn't even have to ask, this is what he offered openly. There was no bartering or bickering, it just wasn't necessary for what he was offering. Then after I agreed to buy my car there, he had a signed purchase order detailed with the complete price breakdown including tax/license deposit due and remaining balance, an active production number changed with my options including the full option sheet printed in detail to me on my fax machine in under 30 minutes. He made this purchase the smoothest I've ever had in buying a new car. In case you havn't guessed, this is who I bought my car from after all of this research was done. About 3 days later, I came to find out one of my executive staff bought a car from him 5 months ago and got another buyers full feedback on him and his experience, he had nothing but good things to say about Ben as well, and told me to say hi to him when I picked my car up. I'm very happy with my purchase so far.

JD Decoste - Irvine BMW
949-387-8254
[email protected]
Irvine, California
Best Price Offered - Unknown, typical dealerspace email with broken links and variables and never heard from him after that.

Don Helm - BMW of Bakersfield
661-396-4040
[email protected]
Bakersfield, California
Best Price Offered - I'm not sure if he made a typo or not, but he marked my vehicle up nearly $3,000, I'm not sure if he meant to type a 4 or a 1 on his keypad, but if it was a 1, he would have given me $700 off MSRP, if it really was meant to be a 4, then it's $3k over MSRP .. regardless, it was enough for me to skip on to the next dealer... did I do him a dis-service by not asking if he made a mistake? Maybe .. but with 31 dealers to choose from... I'll continue on and see what happens.

Peter Abeysekera - Crevier BMW
714-667-3387
[email protected]
Santa Ana, California
Best Price Offered - He wouldn't give me one .. he also didn't have any January production, only February, which would mean March delivery... that's a month longer than the other dealers, so I'll move on. This however could be a sign that they are a great dealership since they have lower availability ... or the opposite, they have limited production due to lack of sales. I didn't bother to find out, maybe you could and report back.

Hans Dakhlia - Santa Monica BMW
310-829-3535
[email protected]
Santa Monica, California
Best Price Offered - None, he replied back asking me to search his website to check his inventory (I guess him doing it for me to let me know if he did/didn't have the car, or could/couldn't order it for me is too much to ask)... maybe he didn't pickup on the extremely detailed e-mail (including all of BMW's part numbers) I sent him outlining the exact car I wanted, that would need to be ordered. Oh well, I checked his inventory anyways and guess what? No car that matches what I want ... on to the next dealer I guess.

Greg Poland - Pacific BMW
818-254-1491
[email protected]
Glendale, California
Best Price Offered - $1,000 off MSRP for a coupe, but he included in his email sedan pricing at $800 over invoice. Too bad I want a coupe... but that's a great price.
Greg actually was good to work with, no games, he cut me the facts in one email, saved me loads of time and told me what he could and could not do. I appreciate the fast pace, and honesty Greg, if your pricing was just a little better, I could easily buy from you.

Edmund Cronin - Alexander BMW
800-800-6425
[email protected]
Los Angeles, California
Best Price Offered - $750 off MSRP, he had December availability (Week 52 of '06), which would mean early February delivery time.
Straight forward, put all the facts and numbers in one email. Thanks Edmund, I appreciate that kind of response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 10:40 PM
This is the Cubs year)

Mein Auto: camel
wow very detailed information. Great post. not sure about giving specific pricing information from each dealer is the way to go without PM'ing the info to whoever may want it.

It might have been better to say

Best price

1. john doe
2. jane doe
3. ect ....

Most courteous

1. aalkjdfldkj
2. ajldk
3. dkj

Being a fairly new member (i'm assumign you aren't a present member who created a new screen name) talking specific prices from a specific dealer is discouraged in an open post but would be good information for anyone in a PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:47 PM

I'd agree if I negotiated these prices, but I didn't. These are straight prices right off the top from a simple inquiry any of you could have done.

Almost every inquiry response was generic, in the sense that they'd give X dollar amount off the car, regardless of what features I did or did not buy.

I don't feel this information is anything private... you could e-mail any one of these people and probably would get exactly the same response I did. All I did was save folks some time and compile it all into one giant message to make it faster for folks in our region to shop around.

-F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Advocate de diabolo

Mein Auto: 2017 S4, 2018 X3
Wow. I give you alot of credit doing this. I myself shopped around for my car in '04, but not like this, this is pretty amazing. Thank you for the information, I think alot of people in or around your area will benefit greatly from this, and since this is your first post, welcome to bimmerfest. This is by far one of the best first posts I have ever seen. Now, did you purchase from Roger, b/c you stated you had lots of problems w/ him, or did you go w/ Chris, who was your first choice? Curiousity, thats all, if you haven't bought yet, best of luck, it sounds like Chris is the way to go w/ the purchase in your area.

Edit: I think it is good you put out specifics, which is needed more in this forum.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:49 PM

330ximd:

I bought my car from Ben Majidi, out of Phoenix. I probably would have bought from Chris, both of them were by far the top 2 to work with. The advantage Ben had was DMV laws between Arizona and Nevada are a lot easier to manage, than California to Nevada. In the sense, it's less work on my part to buy from Arizona, and the prices were within about $100 of each other so I went for what was easiest on me in the long run, because Nevada DMV is a nightmare.

-F
Old 12-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Advocate de diabolo

Mein Auto: 2017 S4, 2018 X3
Ahhh yes, after rereading more carefully I saw your purchase choice. Excellent, have fun w/ the new car. Welcome again.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Wow, you put in a lot work. Good post. Very informative.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto:
Wow!!! Awesome Post!!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: a bucket and a Hayabusa
Assael BMW seems to pride themselves in as being one of the, if not THE snootest BMW dealerships in So. Cal. I live practically 15 from them by street, yet I chose to drive over 80 miles to a dealership in Camarillo to buy my '07 335i sedan instead. I don't know what they feed their sales people over at Assael, but I guess, they figured it's a BMW, so they can treat customers like crap, or like we're getting the cars free from them. I may not even take mine to them for any service at all.

The other bad one is McKenna off of the 605 fwy. Guy kept insisting I come in to sit down with him, KNOWING I'm at least 25 minutes drive from him, but wouldn't give me a price quote over the phone or email. I've NO time for that kind of BS so he can try to spin his salesman tactics on me. Then he try to have someone else, that claims to be his "manager" call me. I've took down his email and sent him the top 2 best quotes I got so far to ask what can he do to be better... Not a simple response back.

I also dealt with Ed Cronin at Alexander BMW in downtown L.A. He first PROMISED he can BEAT WHATEVER the lowest written qoute I got. Then when I came to him with $2100 off of MSRP in writing, he wiggled out saying it's too good to be true, and that it sounded like a scam, and that I should jump right on it and buy from this other dealership. Guess what, Ed, I did. And I don't think I'm driving around in a scam, nor does my monthly payment look like a scam to me.

Unfortunately, BMW has the reputation of having some of the WORST dealers selling their cars in So. Cal. And from past experience, I can say that it may be true. I would guess-timate that out of 10 dealers, 8.5 of them I wouldn't care to ever hear from ever again.

I guess a good dealership is like a mechanic... Hard as hell to find.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: ED 335i Mar 07
I did more or less the same experiment, but asked for a certain amount over ED invoice in my emails with 22 dealers.

The one thing you do not mention in any of your posts are the total costs. I received alot of "great" $ over invoice offers, but most of them tried to get me on the back end with points, paper fees, transfer fees, non-existent fees etc.... Basically it just is not all about $s over invoice and to just post this is not being thorough or necessarily fair to any of the dealers....

An example from my experience.... I had a guy offer $850 over invoice, but when it was all said and done his offer was more like $3k over and not even in the ball park with several dealers that offererd a higher amount over invoice but without the added BS fees....

Munich Drop Off....................April 4th, 2007
On Coral Leader, Arrived.......May 11th, 2007

Delivery ..............................May 26th, 2007
Link to ED Blog... http://335bmwed.blogspot.com/
Old 12-20-2006, 03:09 AM

Mein Auto:
Perhaps the East Coast is different, but you should be able to make a deal at $500 over invoice.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:44 AM
Cockney Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 50i MSport
Awesome post. Good job. I hope most of those a-holes read this board.

2006 E90 330i (retired)
2009 E90 335i (retired)
2012 E70 X5 50i M Sport, JB Stage 1, 0-60 4.64 secs. Woot!
See me for Industrial Electronic Repair.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:24 AM

Mein Auto: 335i F30 M-Sport
Agreed, mjrunning. It wasn't the only factor but between two dealerships that I spoke to that had pretty similar "over invoice" pricing at first glance but turned out that one added $150 for floor mats and wheel locks and also had a $400 MACO charge as well as some kind of processing fee. The other dealership had a similar over invoice price but no MACO fees and included the customary mats and gas the other guys were charging for. More importantly they offered all of that in pretty much the first email where the other guys took forever to even get to dealing. But my point is the same that while starting at over invoice is great you also need to see what is going to get tacked on as an additional fee.

Nice post but I think this goes quite a long way perhaps to the particular style of the CA as much as the dealership. I would think there are certainly some dealerships where the whole culture is awful. But perhaps at many it can just depend on who gets your email?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:15 AM
kid hater

Mein Auto: '07 328
Great info. I like to see when people do their homework.
Around my area we have 2 BMW dealers that scoff at you if you request a price lower than MSRP. I asked one CA about performance delivery and he asked me why I would want to do something that foolish? I think he was the dealership diansour.
Interesting enough now I am getting phone calls and emails from both dealerships requesting me to visit the dealership to make a deal. I guess since the real estate market has dropped in Naples, Bonita and Ft Myers they are getting a bit more hungry.
I didn't purchase my car from the cheapest dealer. I could have saved another 300 dollars. I purchased from a sponsor here partly so I could support bimmerfest, and also because I felt comfortable with him.
It is even worse when I purchase my Dodge worktrucks. Seems the salesman there feel that since they are knocking 11k off list that you should fall all over them to sign on the dotted line. Idiots......
Old 12-20-2006, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto:
Nice post, just my two cents but, stay away from Ed Cronin at Alexander BMW. Not an honest salesman at all.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks flash2k6 for taking the trouble to post this. One thing that stands out are the problems with using the web site forms without having a specific name to direct things to. They must get many of these a day and the person detailed to deal with them is often the low man on the totem pole. Even the best of them can make mistakes when having to deal with so many inquiries.

A case in point is Jeff Kline at Bob Smith. I got his name from a recommendation on another forum and he's been great in responding to emails directed to him personally even when I made it clear that I wasn't buying for several months. Now that I'm in the buying process his replies have been both friendly and complete.

Another dealer not in the above list is Steve Thomas BMW who has been recommended by Jon Shafer:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...mw#post2055506

I'm doing a Performance Center Delivery and Chris at Steve Thomas took the trouble to call South Carolina to be sure that the date I wanted was available. He did this BEFORE he responded to my inquiry. I highly recommend him and Steve Thomas.

A third case that shows the importance of having a name at the dealership is South Bay BMW. They got poor marks above for the quality of the response. I emailed Steve Marx there and got back a no-hassle (if somewhat terse) quote without any problem.

One point on prices: Often there is a training fee and MACO included in the quote (or tacked on later). Many people think these are gimmicks to jack up the price. Since neither KBB or Edmunds shows them in their invoice prices it can be confusing. However, these are legitimate fees that the dealer has to pay to BMW and/or the local BMW dealer organization. In some cases the dealer just hides them in the quote but they are definitely part of his costs. It's important to be sure that the quote includes them so you won't get surprised later.

Last edited by jmonier; 12-20-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:30 AM

No argument, I made sure to include the individuals I worked with because many times there may be multiple people that have the ability to respond to their internet and e-mail requests. And one may be better than the other in responsiveness and customer service.

I wanted to clarify my experiences, and mine alone. Information is important to share. The more you know and prepare yourself, the better off we all are. If dealers start seeing that one dealership is getting more reputation and business because of word of mouth experiences, then they have to work that much harder to better the quality of their establishment, which in the end helps everyone, and also helps drive price stability.

These were just my experiences .. some were more pleasant than others. Some were just form letter responses and nothing more.

I will say however that the 2 dealers I went down to finalized numbers with, neither of them had training fees, MACO fees, or any other fees visable in the purchase orders that had finalized numbers line itemed out and signed, sure it may have been wrapped up into their price but if it was, they still beat the other dealers by a large margin, which means I was getting an even better deal. The only "fee" that popped up outside of the sales tax and license, was a documentation/admin paperwork fee, but it was an insignificant amount of money (sub $100).

Regardless, I've received a handful of PM's from folks, outlining similiar experiences with some of the names I listed. So, in that regard at least I know that for those particular sales people I wasn't anything out of the ordinary, just another customer to try and sell a car to, which is fine .. just means they are consistant, both good and bad.

I'm glad some of you found this helpful ... and hope that if nothing else, it at least prompts you to do your own homework when spending your own hard earned money.

-F
Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto:
I bought my 335i coupe from Greg Poland at Pacific BMW. And he is a straight shooter. Absolutely fantastic to work with. If I have the time right now to write a full review of my experience with it, it would be a page long praise. HE IS THE BEST. Bar none.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto:
GREAT THREAD. I like how you did your homework.

I am in the same general area as you are and I am looking to put my name on the list to get a new m3 (yes I know they are not out yet) but I want to find out who I can trust and a list of people to email.

I just do not want to wait too long and I will pay MSRP (not a penny more then MSRP)
Old 12-20-2006, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash2k6 View Post
Peter Abeysekera - Crevier BMW
714-667-3387
[email protected]
Santa Ana, California
Best Price Offered - He wouldn't give me one .. he also didn't have any January production, only February, which would mean March delivery... that's a month longer than the other dealers, so I'll move on. This however could be a sign that they are a great dealership since they have lower availability ... or the opposite, they have limited production due to lack of sales. I didn't bother to find out, maybe you could and report back.
Your first guess was right. They are a great dealership (in terms of sales). They are the number one BMW dealership in USA. I've been there a few times and they don't negociate much, but they did't give me any bull crap either. I ended buying my 325 from Irvine BMW. I got a ok deal but they run you through a lot of crap. They tried to sell me lojack and my car has BMW assist

Anyways good job with this post, it will help a little in with my 335 purchase
Old 12-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Carefully
Good thread, I would have made sure those quotes were 'out of the door' prices, otherwise at the last minute you'll get probably be hit with a MACO and doc fee.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 12-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Color blind photographer

Mein Auto: 2010 X3 MT Space Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by spots View Post
...... I asked one CA about performance delivery and he asked me why I would want to do something that foolish? I think he was the dealership diansour.
Amazing. Too bad this dinasour doesn't know that having a customer do performance center delivery it saves HIM a ton of work and he doesn't have to delivery the car. One more example of how little car salespeople know.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by schley View Post
wow very detailed information. Great post. not sure about giving specific pricing information from each dealer is the way to go without PM'ing the info to whoever may want it.

It might have been better to say

Best price

1. john doe
2. jane doe
3. ect ....

Most courteous

1. aalkjdfldkj
2. ajldk
3. dkj

Being a fairly new member (i'm assumign you aren't a present member who created a new screen name) talking specific prices from a specific dealer is discouraged in an open post but would be good information for anyone in a PM.
Why is this discouraged? Free market works best with free flow of information.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
i got mine from edmund from nick alexander... pretty cool and like you said straight forward guy. I had called around quite a bit of dealers before i settled at nick alexander. I didn't even bother w/ ASSael just because of the rep they had... they really live up to the first part of their name aparently!

btw nice and long review flash, i'm sure this will come in handy for people looking for their cars... thanks for the hard work happy holidays!
2007 E92 335i | Spark. Graph. | ZSP | 6 speed MT - retired
Old 12-21-2006, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schley View Post
It may be discouraged but I have seen specific prices posted from specific dealers many times before. This user was thorough and mentions the prices arent with negotiation but only the first price offered after sending the same, complete information to all dealers. This info could be gathered by emailing all these dealers. After a couple months this info will no longer be valid as dealerships change personel and prices regularly.

I for one find this thread very interesting. Most of the internet sales depts in dealerships dont spend time online (can barely put together an email) so they wont see this. Those dealerships that see this know what to change to be competitive. Just follow the Chapman Camelback BMW dealership example.

BTW, I talked to a friend from Phoenix. There are two Chapman BMWs - one in Scottsdale the other in Phoenix. The one mentioned here has a couple guys working internet sales. They initially use the default Ben email but give their names if you correspond beyond the first contact. One of them is Ben and he is very friendly. All the guys are very nice and dont play games with prices or hidden fees. I guess they do so much volume they dont waste time screwing with the customer like many dealerships. They have figured out that a quick and happy transaction means more in the long run than the extra $500 and aggrevation caused by too much dealing.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search