2,500 Mile Review of my 2013 328i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 528i M-Sport
2,500 Mile Review of my 2013 328i

So here is my 2,500-mile review of my 2013 328i Sport line.

I won’t re-hash a lot of the details everybody knows, but just focus on a few of the things I really like and just one or two things I don’t like.

The engine

This is an unbelievable 2.0 liter four… No way I would think a four-banger could run like this. It revs high, and runs smooth. I love it. It is unreal how fast you can be going 100+ miles per hour—and it feels like nothing. Then you see you are getting 30+ mpg even with spirited diving? Crazy.

I don’t love the sound of it. At idle, it does have a diesel-like clattery idle sound—especially when cold. But I can live with it.

The tranny

I’m not sure which is more impressive—the engine or the transmission. Quick shifts, very responsive—very cool. I love the aggressive downshifting, especially in sport mode. This car always seems coiled up and ready to strike.

Favorite options

I love the Xenon package. All of it. Love the Angel Eyes, love the adaptive lights that bend around the corners, and I love the bright-as-daylight illumination.

The HUD is one of my favorite features. Definitely worth the extra expense. I rarely even look at the analog speedo. Plus, having the Nav directions, radio, and caller ID in the HUD is great.

The blind spot detection system is an unexpected favorite. I already miss it when I drive my wife’s car. The parameters are a little conservative, but the system is pretty smart and doesn’t give too many false alarms. The steering wheel vibration really gets my attention!

Minor complaints

The iDrive is good—but could be better. The menus and such are not as intuitive as they could be. I wish BMW would take some lessons from Apple.

The Nav too, is not as good as it could be. I still like having integrated Nav, especially with the HUD. But my old Garmin’s interface is better in a lot of ways. Why are cars so far behind in terms of user interface?

The iDrive input wheel feels cheap. Most of the buttons and controls have a quality feel, but the plastic ring around the iDrive wheel feels really cheap. This is one of the most used controls, so why didn’t they make it a little more upscale? It feels like the cap of a cheap disposable water bottle.

Comfort access – I generally like it, but the “foot kick” to open the trunk seems pretty unreliable.

Center locking button – I hate having the button in the center of the dash. I’ve had this in other cars, but I just don’t like it. Too many times I am outside the car and have to lean way in to hit the button to open other doors. I would rather have it with the power window switches on the diver and passenger doors.

Lack of interior storage – the glove box and center console are pretty small. I’d like to have a little more storage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Black grill BMW.jpg
Views:	1203
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	386706

Mods I have made: 35% tint all around, Alpine White whiskers, M-Sport gloss black grill, gloss black emblems.

All that being said, I LOVE the car. Best car I have ever had. I look forward to driving it every day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: '17 VW GTI
Thanks for the post. The HIDs are mandatory for me (and should be standard equipment IMHO - especially at the 328i price point). It'll be interesting to see when the new iDrive knob makes its way to the F30 platform. LCI? And the 8 speed/N20 combination is really good.

Last edited by volsfan0911; 07-15-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDGator View Post

I won’t re-hash a lot of the details everybody knows, but just focus on a few of the things I really like and just one or two things I don’t like.

The engine

This is an unbelievable 2.0 liter four… No way I would think a four-banger could run like this. It revs high, and runs smooth. I love it. It is unreal how fast you can be going 100+ miles per hour—and it feels like nothing. Then you see you are getting 30+ mpg even with spirited diving? Crazy.

I don’t love the sound of it. At idle, it does have a diesel-like clattery idle sound—especially when cold. But I can live with it.

The tranny

I’m not sure which is more impressive—the engine or the transmission. Quick shifts, very responsive—very cool. I love the aggressive downshifting, especially in sport mode. This car always seems coiled up and ready to strike.

Favorite options

I love the Xenon package. All of it. Love the Angel Eyes, love the adaptive lights that bend around the corners, and I love the bright-as-daylight illumination.

The HUD is one of my favorite features. Definitely worth the extra expense. I rarely even look at the analog speedo. Plus, having the Nav directions, radio, and caller ID in the HUD is great.

The blind spot detection system is an unexpected favorite. I already miss it when I drive my wife’s car. The parameters are a little conservative, but the system is pretty smart and doesn’t give too many false alarms. The steering wheel vibration really gets my attention!

Minor complaints

The iDrive is good—but could be better. The menus and such are not as intuitive as they could be. I wish BMW would take some lessons from Apple.

The Nav too, is not as good as it could be. I still like having integrated Nav, especially with the HUD. But my old Garmin’s interface is better in a lot of ways. Why are cars so far behind in terms of user interface?

The iDrive input wheel feels cheap. Most of the buttons and controls have a quality feel, but the plastic ring around the iDrive wheel feels really cheap. This is one of the most used controls, so why didn’t they make it a little more upscale? It feels like the cap of a cheap disposable water bottle.

Comfort access – I generally like it, but the “foot kick” to open the trunk seems pretty unreliable.

Center locking button – I hate having the button in the center of the dash. I’ve had this in other cars, but I just don’t like it. Too many times I am outside the car and have to lean way in to hit the button to open other doors. I would rather have it with the power window switches on the diver and passenger doors.

Lack of interior storage – the glove box and center console are pretty small. I’d like to have a little more storage.

Attachment 386706

Mods I have made: 35% tint all around, Alpine White whiskers, M-Sport gloss black grill, gloss black emblems.

All that being said, I LOVE the car. Best car I have ever had. I look forward to driving it every day.
Thanks for the review. Very useful. I'm confused about your use of the central locking button. Why not unlock the doors from outside by using the fob?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.

@ddgator

You can set all doors to open via key fob / comfort access via idrive. That prevents having to reach in and use the central locking button to unlock the passenger / back doors

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 07-15-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Why not unlock the doors from outside by using the fob?
It may be particular to me, but here is an example. I tend to leave my keys in my car when inside my (locked) garage. I drive into the garage, open the drivers door (with the inside handle) and get out to go in the house. Later when I come back and want to open a rear door, say to get my dry cleaning, or someone wants to get in before me, or whatever -- door is locked. I have to open the drivers door and lean in to reach the central lock button.

Same thing tends to happen when I am cleaning the car, etc.

It may not bother anyone else, but I like my lock button on my drivers door. It may also be related to the fact that my previous cars have unlocked all doors when placed in park (althought that is not ideal either).

Again, a minor complaint, but enough that I have noticed.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
It may be particular to me, but here is an example. I tend to leave my keys in my car when inside my (locked) garage. I drive into the garage, open the drivers door (with the inside handle) and get out to go in the house. Later when I come back and want to open a rear door, say to get my dry cleaning, or someone wants to get in before me, or whatever -- door is locked. I have to open the drivers door and lean in to reach the central lock button.

It may not bother anyone else, but I like my lock button on my drivers door. It may also be related to the fact that my previous cars have unlocked all doors when placed in park (althought that is not ideal either).

Leaving the keys in car may not be the user case that the BMW engineers accounted for. Now I am curious if comfort access locks the door with keys in car or not(that won't be good though).
Old 07-15-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Leaving the keys in car may not be the user case that the BMW engineers accounted for. Now I am curious if comfort access locks the door with keys in car or not(that won't be good though).
Agreed. And, no -- the comfort access won't work with the keys in the car (at least, not in the center console).

Old 07-15-2013, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i X-drive
Nice review..............
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: Looking to return to BMW
I enjoyed your review, especially about the HUD. Should I go with a 2014 F30, I am struggling if I should spend the extra $ on it. I guess for 2014 you can get the Nav package with everything the tech package includes except for HUD and smaller items like concierge service (which I would never use anyway) for about $1,000 less. So for me, do I spend extra grand just to essentially just get HUD (or am I reading the packages incorrectly)? I know I would like that option, but the overall cost is getting up there already. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplev View Post
Any input would be appreciated.
I don't know about the 2014 pricing/packages -- but I will never go without the HUD now that I have had it. One of my unexpected favorite features (along with blind spot detection).

Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 328xi MT
Nice review, thank you.

I always assumed that I would find the HUD distracting. I appreciate your take on it.

CURRENT
2015 F30 335i xDrive MT - Melbourne Red - Black Dakota Leather - M Sport - Cold Weather Package - Dynamic Handling Package - Lighting Package

RETIRED
2009 E90 328i xDrive MT - Tasman Green - Oyster Dakota Leather - Premium Package - Navigation w/ IDrive - Cold Weather Package - Park Distance Control
Old 07-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Been there, Done that.

Mein Auto: Does it matter?
Enjoy in good health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 M Sport
DITTO 12K Review

Quote:

The engine

The tranny

Favorite options

Minor complaints

Attachment 386706

Ditto DDGator. I have 12K on my 3 month old 328I M Sport and I agree with your review. I have almost the same feedback.

I had some trouble with the trunk too, but think I have it figured out now. You cant stand too close, and my dealer told me to kick as if I were punting a ball; walk up to driving machine , keep leg straight and punt the ball, bring leg back while its bent at knee.
Hope this helps.
__________________________________________________ _______________
2013 Estoril Blue II 328i XDrive M Sport
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04297.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	386811   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04391.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	386812   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04390.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	386813   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04394.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	386814  
Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328 M Sport View Post
I had some trouble with the trunk too, but think I have it figured out now. You cant stand too close, and my dealer told me to kick as if I were punting a ball; walk up to driving machine , keep leg straight and punt the ball, bring leg back while its bent at knee.
Where do you kick -- center of the car? I will try this technique tonight. Thanks!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Been there, Done that.

Mein Auto: Does it matter?
Quote:
Where do you kick -- center of the car? I will try this technique tonight. Thanks!
Kick right under the BMW badge, that'll work every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.

Re: comfort access trunk...either kick your leg gently forward like you are punting a football, OR " wave " your foot from 1 side to the other, underneath the trunk.

The key is to make sure your foot passes under the center of the car and is removed in a smooth motion. Forward and back, or right to left / left to right...as long as your foot passes underneath the center of the trunk and then is removed it will work.

I can do it 100 percent of the time now,even with stuff in my hands.

We should make a video, lol

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 07-16-2013, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation. You are kind of an outlier in this regard but your point about preferring the button on the driver's door is a good one. I guess I've become accustomed to the center button after 6 years in a BMW and forgot that it's not ideal.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Kick right under the BMW badge, that'll work every time.
Yes, that method seems to work very well. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:

I completely agree. This is my first BMW and my first vehicle with the lock button on the center console and not on the door. I've found myself several times inconvinienced by this. A part of that is being initially unfamiliar with its location but several times its been in situations such as described above. With items in the back seat I frequently forget to hit the unlock button prior to getting out and then, after exiting the vehicle, have to reach across the seat to unlock the back doors.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukja View Post
I completely agree. This is my first BMW and my first vehicle with the lock button on the center console and not on the door. I've found myself several times inconvinienced by this. A part of that is being initially unfamiliar with its location but several times its been in situations such as described above. With items in the back seat I frequently forget to hit the unlock button prior to getting out and then, after exiting the vehicle, have to reach across the seat to unlock the back doors.
As my E90 needs the key to start the car, I still carry the fob. If you have the fob, you can unlock the doors. I guess people leave their fobs in their cars in locked garages. This sounds like a bad idea. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
^^ I actually carry the FOB in my pocket. It really is just a small nitpick of the F30 which I think is a great car.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I guess people leave their fobs in their cars in locked garages. This sounds like a bad idea. Maybe I'm missing something.
The car may not even be unattended. I may just get out of the car with the keys still in the center console. Try to open back door from the outside -- and I can't. It would be easier if I could just open the driver's door or reach in the open driver's window to the lock button than bend down and reach in to the middle of the car.

Again -- this is a MINOR issue. However, I see no advanatage to having the lock button in the center of the car, and some disadvantage. (The advantage is probably for BMW -- cheaper, easier than putting lock buttons on both front doors).

Old 07-16-2013, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 M Sport
Quote:
Sounds as if the Captain answered your question DDGator. He's correct. This is how I made it work every time. Walk up to the center of badge (not real close) with leg straight, "punt the ball" (lol) then bring back leg bending at the knee. As the leg bent at the knee comes back, the trunk opens. Hope this helps.
__________________________________________________ ________________
2013 Estoril Blue II 328i XDrive M Sport
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	062.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	387017   Click image for larger version

Name:	031.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	387031   Click image for larger version

Name:	036.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	387032  

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search