Water in battery box - 530xi wagon - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-31-2018, 02:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530xi Wagon
Water in battery box - 530xi wagon

EDIT: this is a long story - so here's the summary of my questions in case you don't want to read the whole story:
After weeks of rain, I found battery box full of water. I had the local independent replace my battery a couple years ago - I notice that they didn't connect the overflow tube to the little nipple in the battery box. Is that how water got into the battery box? I mean does the sunroof drain on that side "Y" into the battery drain and did the water back up into the battery box that way? Or do I have some leak somewhere else? (how could the water have gotten into the plastic tray above the battery?)

Also --- could any of the cables around the battery being wet (isn't there some goofy sensor to disconnect the battery in case of a crash) have caused the battery to drain or the battery current to not be able to reach the car to power it fully?

=============================

I haven't driven the car in about 5 weeks (I have an MR2 that I drive unless I need the space or taking a trip) so it's just been parked - and it's been raining a lot.

Yesterday my alarm went off and I couldn't stop it with the key press ... and I couldn't open the door with the key press either (doh! battery dead and the alarm must have it's own battery). I was able to open the car manually with the key and got a battery charger connected (to the posts under the hood, not directly to battery at this point in time).

I let the battery charge for several hours and then disconnected the charger and locked the car. And about 40 minutes later the alarm was going off again and the battery was dead again.

So this time I opened the back to look at the battery and the plastic cover and the battery box below were both filled with water. YIKES! I immediately had a panic attack because I haven't relocated the electronics that are under the spare tire.

I disconnected the battery and got the charger directly on the battery and then I proceeded to pull out the spare tire and get down to the electronics - they seemed dry (whew!). However something seemed to be draining the battery and even after charging it for several hours I couldn't get anything to work (windows wouldn't roll up or down, car wouldn't start and the radio kept going even after I turned the key off - I had to turn the key back on and turn off the radio to get it to shut off).

So at this point I'm worried that the electronics are fried. I disconnect the battery and put the charger back on and then disconnect the four electronic boxes down under the spare and bring them in the house and open them to see if there is moisture inside - there isn't any moisture that I can detect. But I put them in a sunny window with the plastic covers open just in case. And meanwhile leave the battery charger going for several hours (and I had the car open to ventilate since all the wiring around the battery was soaked).

that was yesterday... today I charged the battery again for another 5 hours or so just to be sure. And then I closed up the plastic cases on the four electronics boxes and reconnected them in the car and then reconnected my battery and Voila! the car starts and seems to work (just had to reset the time and turn steering from stop to stop and re-initialize the sunroof - anything else I need to initialize?).

Now I'm still waiting to see if the battery drains quickly and my alarm goes off again in an hour or two. But so far, so good (relieved)

Last edited by AndyPanda; 03-31-2018 at 05:17 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
battery, sunroof drains, water damage

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search