Taking a trip with the 430i Vert - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 430i xdrive cv
Taking a trip with the 430i Vert

I thought these notes describing real world convertible usage would be helpful to prospective 430i xdrive vert buyers. I know I would have valued this information when I was considering purchase.

While I love having our retractable hardtop, I immediately knew that cargo space was going to be at a premium, so how do you take a weekend trip with the convertible (especially if you expect to be lowering the roof).

Compounding the lack of cargo space, I decided to purchase a compact spare with a nylon tire carrying cover for when we make trips a distance from home. The tire is strapped down to the 2 forward tie downs at the back of the trunk. For shorter trips or local driving, the tire can be removed. I was concerned about how to handle a problem with the run flats, so I also have a compact scissor jack, plug kit and a Slime kit with compressor. The scissor jack and the Slime compressor kit fit in the space between the rear seat and the trunk pass-through drop down door. The plug kit and a breaker bar with a specialized non-marring socket are stored under the trunk flooring.

Say we are planning a weekend trip to the beach. If I fold down the trunk pass-through door and rear seat, I can put the compact spare on top of the folded down pass-through door and get 2 folded Ipanema beach chairs, a full size market-style beach umbrella, a chair umbrella, a couple of pack telescopic chairs and maybe a couple of small backpacks. That leaves the folded down rear seat for a medium size or even larger suitcase (size limitation is really how much you can lift out of the back seat) and maybe a couple more small items. I strap down the luggage to the tie down hooks for safety and cover everything with the convertibleís windscreen for some security.

With this type of organization, I am able to take weekend or 2 and 3 day trips with the option to have the convertible roof up or down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 02:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius
I have a 2014 435 Vert and I love it.

More than anything, I just get a lot of joy getting in that car and driving, especially with the top down on a sunny day. I love road trips in this car, and itís great in inclement weather, too. Itís just a very fun, joyful, pleasurable experience.

If you have the run flat tires, thereís no need for a spare or a patch kit. But without the run flats, Iíve put together a tested kit with a jack, a BlackJack tire plug kit, a pump and other essentials for complete tire repair, which will cover all but a sidewall cut.

Storage space and back seat space is pretty bad, but if youíre going away for a trip, you can fit two suitcases and still have room to take down the top. Instead of a spare tire, I keep sunscreen in the car, in the console between the front seats.

I could have paid less for a hard-top or coupe which would be faster, but I love this car and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
I have a 2014 435 Vert and I love it.

More than anything, I just get a lot of joy getting in that car and driving, especially with the top down on a sunny day. I love road trips in this car, and itís great in inclement weather, too. Itís just a very fun, joyful, pleasurable experience.

If you have the run flat tires, thereís no need for a spare or a patch kit. But without the run flats, Iíve put together a tested kit with a jack, a BlackJack tire plug kit, a pump and other essentials for complete tire repair, which will cover all but a sidewall cut.

Storage space and back seat space is pretty bad, but if youíre going away for a trip, you can fit two suitcases and still have room to take down the top. Instead of a spare tire, I keep sunscreen in the car, in the console between the front seats.

I could have paid less for a hard-top or coupe which would be faster, but I love this car and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

There is no need for patch kit or spare until you are in mountain West and you get nail in side of tire. Than you realize fast that you are stuck for few days wherever you are.
I had nail in Las Vegas of all places, and no one had RFT 255/50 R19. I had to get all four as it was AWD and old ones were at 5/32.
RFT is the biggest crime against people who take long trips. I have now minivan with RFTís, and spare is there when traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto:
I have the 2016 428I, I love it have taken a couple of trips since I bought it in May. Never a problem about the space... I use the back seat if needed for extras... I took a huge soundbar system to my son in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago, a box of family pictures, enough clothes for a week, cooler and a few other smaller items with no problem. I drove partway there with the top down, till it got to hot and I wanted the air conditioning on. Remarkable amount of space in this vehicle.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search