Order time frame question - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)

7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
The next generation G11/G12 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. Unveiled June 10th, with production starting in August the 6th generation 7 Series comes in a light weight package with extensive use of BMW i carbon fiber technology. The interior quality raises the bar with a touch screen and gesture controlled infotainment system. Exterior styling has been a sticking point with mixed reviews so far.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 Ford F350 Limited
Order time frame question

I ordered a 2020 750 at the end of May. The sales guy said the allocation is for Week 27, which is the end of July. Since I am not a patient person I check the “Track My BMW” all of the time.

So far the web site says Order Received. How long does it take to go to “Scheduled for Production”? I do not mean how long to “Production Begins” - just how long until the schedule is set.

Does “Scheduled for Production” pop up just before production starts?

I understand this is a meaningless question - the car will get here when it gets here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I've ordered three German BMW's. Yeah, about two months between the allocation and production. But, Frau Putzer's US-assembled G01 X3 was delivered five weeks after we ordered it. So, it all depends.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:40 AM

I am definitely getting restless. Maybe even grouchy. It has been a month now, and BMW still reports “order received”.

It seems like BMW could have figured out when they were going to build the car by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
From putting down a deposit to delivery, I had to wait 17 months for my E46 M3. It was worth it.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:37 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2017 G12 750ix 2014 F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post
I am definitely getting restless. Maybe even grouchy. It has been a month now, and BMW still reports "order received".

It seems like BMW could have figured out when they were going to build the car by now.
I think they may shut down for vacation the last 2 weeks in June. I don't think you can do an ED during that time. The factory likely never stops but the paperwork could get delayed. If you are getting really antsy, call the Genius line and see if they can get better info. I've done that on orders where I get antsy (like every one, so far)
'19 G01 X3 30
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3, 5 (E39, F31 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (yes I am old )

Last edited by AlteBMW; 06-26-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
From putting down a deposit to delivery, I had to wait 17 months for my E46 M3. It was worth it.
17 months - almost a year and a half to get a car. Hmmmm. Not worth it to me, that is certain.

AlteBMW, your note about a factory shutdown is interesting. That may explain some of this apparent lack of progress.

I just worry that my car is in Limbo.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:53 AM

I spoke with the dealership today, so I feel better. Apparently there is a schedule, and my car should finish in Week 30.

Woo-hoo! Might be driving it by middle of September.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto:
I placed my order at the end of March for a 2020 750. I had build week 21, May 19th. I checked the tracker daily. It didn't change to "production begins" until May 10. Assembly began on the 16th, paint booth on the 17th. It entered the assembly line on the 20th and skipped a bunch of status that day. It was dispatched from the factory on the 21st and arrived at Bremerhaven on the 22nd. It sat at the port until June 3rd on the app. It was on the boat for two days before BMW NA had a boat name. It landed in California on June 30. The website shows it back a step "at the port". It was released to carrier today and scheduled to arrive at the dealer on the 6th. The website, 800 number and genius reps all had different info. The automated phone message was always the furthest behind on status changes. The genius reps had much better info, including the ship name and most recently the trucking company.

I assume your car will come to Oxnard for an Idaho delivery. The month on the boat was a long wait. Once I had the ship name Marinetraffic.com was fun. I drove myself nuts trying to predict which ship from WW it would be on. You can find the scheduled online. I got worried when I missed the last June boat for WW but upended up on an NYK boat. The Panama Canal webcams actually captured my cars transit. I happened to be at the computer and watched it go through the Miraflores locks.

I did individual paint so it added a few weeks, but definitely not the 8 extra weeks they estimated. If I can take delivery this weekend I'll be 3 months 1 week from ordering. Good luck on the wait.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:42 AM

Good information, Alex00! Thank you.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:17 AM

You can find your boat on the WW website by entering your VIN. Google "track bmw production" and you will see some threads with information on how to keep track every step of the way. If you are compulsive, it will keep you occupied for quite some time. Ask me how I know?
'19 G01 X3 30
Past: 3, 5 (E39, F31 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (yes I am old )
Old 07-04-2019, 11:38 AM

I am sure I will track the boat when the time comes.

Even though I KNOW the car will not start production for one to two weeks I still check the web site every day!
Old 08-05-2019, 06:16 AM

Actual times

Actual times for production. This is a 750, with individual color and upholstery. The dealer told me it was an allocation for week 27. From the “Track My BMW” site, progress was as follows, just in case anyone is curious.

Placed order 25 May 2019
“Order Received” in a couple of days
“Scheduled for Production” 2 July
“Production Begins” 12 July
“Exterior Body Assembly Begins” 18 July
“In the Paint Booth” 18 July
“Entering Assembly Line” 22 July
“Assembly in Progress” 22 July
“Dispatched from Factory” 23 July (skipped Quality Check, Final Assembly, Ready for Transport, and Awaiting Carrier Assignment)
“At the Port” 25 July
“In Transit” 5 August

This car is headed for the west coast, so will be another month before it shows up at a US port.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post
Actual times for production. This is a 750, with individual color and upholstery. The dealer told me it was an allocation for week 27. From the “Track My BMW” site, progress was as follows, just in case anyone is curious.

Placed order 25 May 2019
“Order Received” in a couple of days
“Scheduled for Production” 2 July
“Production Begins” 12 July
“Exterior Body Assembly Begins” 18 July
“In the Paint Booth” 18 July
“Entering Assembly Line” 22 July
“Assembly in Progress” 22 July
“Dispatched from Factory” 23 July (skipped Quality Check, Final Assembly, Ready for Transport, and Awaiting Carrier Assignment)
“At the Port” 25 July
“In Transit” 5 August

This car is headed for the west coast, so will be another month before it shows up at a US port.
Congrats. Now is the hardest part. Waiting. And waiting. And waiting. If you check the boat's position every hour or every fifteen minutes, by the way, it does not make it get there any faster. Ask me how I know.
'19 G01 X3 30
Old 08-06-2019, 11:14 AM

Say it’s not so!

I checked the progress through construction several times each day - that had to have sped things up, didn’t it?

I have a fleet of one ship on marinetraffic.com, so I can follow the ship across the ocean.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Congrats. Now is the hardest part. Waiting. And waiting. And waiting. If you check the boat's position every hour or every fifteen minutes, by the way, it does not make it get there any faster. Ask me how I know.
Try being on vacation, with the family ready to walk out the door for breakfast, the moment your ship hits the webcam transiting the locks in the Panama Canal. "Just a few more minutes".

They may have been hungry, but I have a minute long stop motion movie of my car sailing through the canal.

Once the car hit Port Hueneme, I was given a delivery estimate of July 6. The car actually arrived on July 5, at my dealer and I picked it up that evening. It was the only step of the process that didn't take longer than I thought. Waiting was horrible.

Now if only I could break the car in faster so I can punch the accelerator!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search