7 Series Display Key lost - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)

7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
The next generation G11/G12 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. Unveiled June 10th, with production starting in August the 6th generation 7 Series comes in a light weight package with extensive use of BMW i carbon fiber technology. The interior quality raises the bar with a touch screen and gesture controlled infotainment system. Exterior styling has been a sticking point with mixed reviews so far.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
7 Series Display Key lost

So I did not actually lose the key more like I never had it bought this car and the seller had lost the key and never cared,
Now I see this key for about $150 on Ebay and wanted to know if it is something that can be programmed easily
This car has the option I decoded the vin
Thanks in Advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 01:57 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2017 G12 750ix 2014 F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDeuS View Post
So I did not actually lose the key more like I never had it bought this car and the seller had lost the key and never cared,
Now I see this key for about $150 on Ebay and wanted to know if it is something that can be programmed easily
This car has the option I decoded the vin
Thanks in Advance guys.
Be wary of keys on eBay. I do not believe there is a way to program it yourself. Maybe some third parties could do it but I'm not sure. A dealer will not. BMW for security reasons controls the keys tightly.
'19 G01 X3 30
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3, 5 (E39, F31 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (yes I am old )
Old 07-20-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Be wary of keys on eBay. I do not believe there is a way to program it yourself. Maybe some third parties could do it but I'm not sure. A dealer will not. BMW for security reasons controls the keys tightly.
oh so you think the only way would be something like bimmertech $900 retrofit option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 06:03 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2017 G12 750ix 2014 F31
I don't know about Bimmertech. though they are a reputable co.
When you say the car has the option, are you saying display key or remote parking? I ask because the display key is not very useful other than for remote parking. Everything else you can do on the key you can do on the BMW connected app. If you don't have remote parking or if you think you won't have a need for it, spending $900 on a display key is a lot of money for nothing. What I am pretty sure about is you will not get a functional display key for $150.
'19 G01 X3 30
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3, 5 (E39, F31 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (yes I am old )
Old 07-20-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
I don't know about Bimmertech. though they are a reputable co.
When you say the car has the option, are you saying display key or remote parking? I ask because the display key is not very useful other than for remote parking. Everything else you can do on the key you can do on the BMW connected app. If you don't have remote parking or if you think you won't have a need for it, spending $900 on a display key is a lot of money for nothing. What I am pretty sure about is you will not get a functional display key for $150.
My thoughts exactly, I was willing to get one if there was not a lot of money to get get it but I will do a little more research just to make sure, my car does not have remote control parking but I did wondered if it was possible to retrofit as it has every other package on the d.o.g.
there was a thread about it but nothing too specific

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
740i, bmw, display key, g12

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search