Vibration in floor of car/behind dead pedal/foot rest on brand new 7 series - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)

7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
The next generation G11/G12 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. Unveiled June 10th, with production starting in August the 6th generation 7 Series comes in a light weight package with extensive use of BMW i carbon fiber technology. The interior quality raises the bar with a touch screen and gesture controlled infotainment system. Exterior styling has been a sticking point with mixed reviews so far.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Fellow BMW Enthusiasts-

I need your input and HELP! I have a 19 740i M sport with 20 inch wheels and staggered tire setup.

I have been experiencing vibration in the floor of the car in the driver's seat area, most notable behind the dead pedal/foot rest. Feels as if there's a high frequency almost constant vibration almost feels like my foot is going numb after driving long distances due to the constant high frequency vibration/buzzing.

RF balancing twice, all 4 tires replaced, alignment checked thrice, car is on Conti extreme contact dws 06 staggered setup. The steering does not vibrate, otherwise car is smooth as glass on the highway, but this essentially constant vibration under my left foot is driving me nuts. Car has approx 4 k miles on it. Most noticeable after 60 mph.

After 3 attempts my dealership to correct it, I wrote to customer care and they sent their tech who drove the car for 40 miles (non highway) and essentially said this is "normal road surface feel." That's a bunch of BS in my opinion. They're not even willing to have the tech come back again to investigate. Got a nasty call from customer relations saying BMW will not be investigating further car is operating as designed. I live 350 miles round trip from closest dealer and 1200 miles have been added to the car just going back and forth to dealership. Customer care has washed their hands and not willing to work with me anymore.

HELP! Any ideas would be appreciated!! I'm on my own at this point looks like as the dealership has distanced itself since I wrote to BMW NA when they couldn't fix the issue. I have no problems with the dealership they tried their best but just couldn't fix the issue.

Has anyone had this issue in their cars?

Last edited by AD99; 08-04-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019, 05:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD99 View Post
Fellow BMW Enthusiasts-

I need your input and HELP! I have a 19 740i M sport with 20 inch wheels and staggered tire setup.

I have been experiencing vibration in the floor of the car in the driver's seat area, most notable behind the dead pedal/foot rest. Feels as if there's a high frequency almost constant vibration almost feels like my foot is going numb after driving long distances due to the constant high frequency vibration/buzzing.

RF balancing twice, all 4 tires replaced, alignment checked thrice, car is on Conti extreme contact dws 06 staggered setup. The steering does not vibrate, otherwise car is smooth as glass on the highway, but this essentially constant vibration under my left foot is driving me nuts. Car has approx 4 k miles on it. Most noticeable after 60 mph.

After 3 attempts my dealership to correct it, I wrote to customer care and they sent their tech who drove the car for 40 miles (non highway) and essentially said this is "normal road surface feel." That's a bunch of BS in my opinion. They're not even willing to have the tech come back again to investigate. Got a nasty call from customer relations saying BMW will not be investigating further car is operating as designed. I live 350 miles round trip from closest dealer and 1200 miles have been added to the car just going back and forth to dealership. Customer care has washed their hands and not willing to work with me anymore.

HELP! Any ideas would be appreciated!! I'm on my own at this point looks like as the dealership has distanced itself since I wrote to BMW NA when they couldn't fix the issue. I have no problems with the dealership they tried their best but just couldn't fix the issue.

Has anyone had this issue in their cars?
I have heard complains similar to yours where owners were mentioning about vibrations despite countless RF balancing and so on. I remember about my mechanic mentioning a very interesting thing: if a rim is slightly bent no RF balancing or any kind of balancing for that matter will help. So the first step would be to confirm the rims, particularily frond driver one, are not bent. Also, make sure all 4 wheels are perfectly aligned.
If these 2 steps fail in addressing your vibration problem then your dealer will need to perform a thorough inspection of the suspension.
Hope this helps
Old 08-08-2019, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto:
TL2E90:

I thank you friend for taking the time to respond to me.

Since my last post, first, I have had the front two wheels cris-crossed to see if it will change the vibration. It didn't. Then, I took the car for another road force balance test and for wheel inspection which didn't reveal any issues according to the tire shop or the Hunter road force balancer. My left front tire has road force of 2, and right one has road force of 3. I drove the car after road force balancing and when I got off after 2.5 hours, half of my left foot felt numb/tingling. I again took it to the closest Bmw dealer where the foreman went for an extended test drive with me and verified that yes the vibration is infact abnormal and should not be there. He has tested the hubs of the front wheels, and stated they do not have a run out. He is tomorrow going to put on a fresh pair of 4 wheels and tires from a new 7 series and will test it to see if the issue resolves. If it doesn't, then he will inspect the suspension and if that doesn't even reveal anything then he will call the regional head tech again to come and try to fix my car.

In the interim BMW NA still refuse to believe there is an issue with my car. Let's see how this situation works out. Feeling really frustrated.

Thank you again so much for your response I really appreciate it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 750Li
Did you have the wheels alignment done? This might help. Also ask your BMW service advisor to have all brake rotors checked and made sure they are clean. Otherwise the problem can come from suspension or even a faulty engine mount.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:54 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2017 G12 750ix 2014 F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD99 View Post
TL2E90:

I thank you friend for taking the time to respond to me.

Since my last post, first, I have had the front two wheels cris-crossed to see if it will change the vibration. It didn't. Then, I took the car for another road force balance test and for wheel inspection which didn't reveal any issues according to the tire shop or the Hunter road force balancer. My left front tire has road force of 2, and right one has road force of 3. I drove the car after road force balancing and when I got off after 2.5 hours, half of my left foot felt numb/tingling. I again took it to the closest Bmw dealer where the foreman went for an extended test drive with me and verified that yes the vibration is infact abnormal and should not be there. He has tested the hubs of the front wheels, and stated they do not have a run out. He is tomorrow going to put on a fresh pair of 4 wheels and tires from a new 7 series and will test it to see if the issue resolves. If it doesn't, then he will inspect the suspension and if that doesn't even reveal anything then he will call the regional head tech again to come and try to fix my car.

In the interim BMW NA still refuse to believe there is an issue with my car. Let's see how this situation works out. Feeling really frustrated.

Thank you again so much for your response I really appreciate it!!!
At least you have made progress in that the dealer reccognizes there is an abnormality. BMWNA will now have a hard time not accepting that there is a problem.
'19 G01 X3 30
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3, 5 (E39, F31 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (yes I am old )
Old 08-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks so much again for your advice my friend. It is so much appreciated.

So today the BMW foreman is telling he spin the wheels and tires on the balancer and that there is excessive road force measuring like 32 on left and 30 on the right. He says before anything we should change the front tires again. So now on Monday AM he will personally mount and balance the tires again. This will be the SIXTH continental tire (extreme contact DWS06) to be mounted on my car since getting delivery. I will personally request him to check alignment and brake rotors like you have recommended.

I just hope this is it and that the issue resolves. Will keep you posted!!
Old 08-09-2019, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto:
At least you have made progress in that the dealer reccognizes there is an abnormality. BMWNA will now have a hard time not accepting that there is a problem.[/QUOTE]

I just hope the issue gets resolved. I have come to realize how much we depend on our vehicles in this day and age, and how much of a headache they can be when not working as they should. I am still amazed at how customer relations wasn't even willing to have their tech meet with me so I could atleast show them what the issue is. The problem is that until now, the dealer kept writing "performing road force alignment for customer satisfaction no vehicle defects identified." Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed that the change of front tires resolves the issue.

I REALLY appreciate all of you guys giving me your input. Thank you my friends. I'll keep updating so if anyone else has this issue they can benefit from this thread.
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto:
Update:

So the shop foreman did extensive evaluation of hub, suspension, and finally told me that my tires have unacceptable road force and that they are faulty and causing the vibration. Accidentally, the wrong tires were first placed and I test drive that car and notes the vibration to persist. Then, tires were re-ordered and the correct ones placed. He said RF was 2 on the left, and 3 on the right.

I drove the car back 340 miles, and I could t feel the outside of my foot again. The tires he said were faulty were also mounted and balanced by a BMW dealer, and the car was road tested by BMW's regional technician both of who said the car is operating as designed.

I then notified BMW NA of my foot going numb and that despite being told my car is perfect, the vibration was accepted and repair was again attempted for a full week. They responded by saying the case is closed your car had faulty tires that have been corrected.

I am super frustrated and also disappointed. Thinking of getting a lemon lawyer now as 4 attempts have been made to fix it and a total of 8 tires have been mounted despite which the issue persists.

Any input from you guys would be great. Don't want to take the legal approach but BMW not cooperating and dealer says they don't have anything to fix because they can't find the cause of the vibration.

Also don't want to transfer lease to someone knowing this issue as it is not fair to them or ethical in my opinion.

If anyone has any ideas or advice pls let me know. Thanks

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search