Road noise!!! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)

7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
The next generation G11/G12 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. Unveiled June 10th, with production starting in August the 6th generation 7 Series comes in a light weight package with extensive use of BMW i carbon fiber technology. The interior quality raises the bar with a touch screen and gesture controlled infotainment system. Exterior styling has been a sticking point with mixed reviews so far.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Road noise!!!

After over a month of driving my G12 M Sport with 19" wheels, I am disappointed with the level of road noise that comes in the cabin (especially when driving over coarser asphalt). My previous F02 M Sport with 20" wheels was quieter overall. I purposely ordered the car with the 19's to get a quieter ride despite loving the look of the 20" M Sport wheels.
Perhaps its the lighter body structure that's letting all the noise in. Makes the car feel cheap when driving on the highway having to turn up the radio! Besides this issue and the light steering, I like everything else about the car.
I switched to non run flat tires on my previous F02 to cut down noise and improve ride and will probably do the same for this one. Any suggestions on quiet tires and whether it would help this model would be appreciated. Current tires are Bridgestone Potenza S001.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Consider Michelin Pilots or Pirelli Pzeros. Both are softer tires and should ride quieter.

Currently: 2015 Porsche 911 GTS and 2018 718S Boxster

Past BMWs: `05 645CiC; `07 650i; `08 M6 convertible; '08 135i; `11 750ix MSport; `15 M235i convertible

Others: '11 Panamera 4S; '13 Boxster S; '13 911 C4

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 02-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 7 Series
I also was disappointed with road noise both from the tires and from the C Pillars, even in my current 2014 7 series. I switch to non run flat tires and it made a huge difference in the road noise and rough ride from the tires. The wind noise is still too loud for a $90,000 car. My guess is that they are trying to save weight by reducing the padding and insulation.

The tires I switched to are the 19" Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus. They were rated as one of the quietest tires and have been really awesome. Definitely felt like I got a new car when I made the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by october View Post
After over a month of driving my G12 M Sport with 19" wheels, I am disappointed with the level of road noise that comes in the cabin (especially when driving over coarser asphalt). My previous F02 M Sport with 20" wheels was quieter overall. I purposely ordered the car with the 19's to get a quieter ride despite loving the look of the 20" M Sport wheels.
Perhaps its the lighter body structure that's letting all the noise in. Makes the car feel cheap when driving on the highway having to turn up the radio! Besides this issue and the light steering, I like everything else about the car.
I switched to non run flat tires on my previous F02 to cut down noise and improve ride and will probably do the same for this one. Any suggestions on quiet tires and whether it would help this model would be appreciated. Current tires are Bridgestone Potenza S001.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 12:37 AM
Wardaddy in retirement

Mein Auto: g11
I also chose the 19" M sport wheels for a bit more comfort and versatility, and I am not expecting wonders regarding the road noise of the RF's...But I had a chance to benefit from RF tires on my other car and the advantages of staying mobile when you have no time to change tires etc. are worth it to me.
The testdrive car I had so far has 20" M sport wheels and the noise is actually not that bad.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:19 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Also, bear in mind that temperature can be more of a factor than wheel size when it comes to road noise. A softer tire, such as a non run flat, will benefit in colder temperatures.

Currently: 2015 Porsche 911 GTS and 2018 718S Boxster

Past BMWs: `05 645CiC; `07 650i; `08 M6 convertible; '08 135i; `11 750ix MSport; `15 M235i convertible

Others: '11 Panamera 4S; '13 Boxster S; '13 911 C4

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 02-05-2016, 04:55 AM

I have owned previous gen 7's (E66, F02) in the past and this current gen has a different noise quality. Its more boomy sounding and pervasive in the cabin than the past cars. I definitely play with the volume knob more when driving over different road surfaces and cannot find the right setting on the auto volume compensation adjustment feature. When the asphalt is smooth however, the car is very quiet.
Prior to purchase, I was paranoid that the lighter carbon reinforced structure would lead to more noise. During the test drives, the new model seemed quieter. However, now having driven the car over the past 1 1/2 mos., I am bothered by the noise.
Looks like new non-RFT's soon for me! Will probably try the Pirelli Cinturato... thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by october; 02-05-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dino07
Mein Auto: bmw
how sold man ,,,,,, pm sent
Old 02-05-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I Will probably try the Pirelli Cinturato... thanks for the suggestion.
After you switch come back here and let us know if it made a big difference. My guess is that it will, especially once the RF tires start to wear out a bit. They get noisier after about 3-5K miles.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: X5, 540, 911 Cabriolet MT
I guess road noise is in the ear of the beholder.

"the incredibly quiet nature of the car, which glides along with nary a hint of unwanted road noise. Hands-free calls over a paired phone can be completed without raising your voice the slightest bit."

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2016-bmw-7-series/
Old 02-07-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

"the incredibly quiet nature of the car, which glides along with nary a hint of unwanted road noise. Hands-free calls over a paired phone can be completed without raising your voice the slightest bit."

Definitely something that you either really are bothered by or not. I would get pissed off every time I came to a stop and heard the rumbling of my run flats. I've owned five 7 series since 2000, and the 2014 with RF was the worst in terms of both wind noise and run flat tire noise. Also, the run flats are ok for the first 2-4000 miles. Its once they start to wear down a bit that they really get loud, so reviewers are never going to hear the worst of it.

I think its because they are trying to save weight and have reduced the damping and isolation materials in the car. You notice that when they market the new 7 now they never mention anything about it being quieter than previous generations?
Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKBimm100 View Post
Also, the run flats are ok for the first 2-4000 miles. Its once they start to wear down a bit that they really get loud, so reviewers are never going to hear the worst of it.

This is so true!
Old 02-07-2016, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F12
Quote:
I have owned previous gen 7's (E66, F02) in the past and this current gen has a different noise quality. Its more boomy sounding and pervasive in the cabin than the past cars. I definitely play with the volume knob more when driving over different road surfaces and cannot find the right setting on the auto volume compensation adjustment feature. When the asphalt is smooth however, the car is very quiet.
Prior to purchase, I was paranoid that the lighter carbon reinforced structure would lead to more noise. During the test drives, the new model seemed quieter. However, now having driven the car over the past 1 1/2 mos., I am bothered by the noise.
Looks like new non-RFT's soon for me! Will probably try the Pirelli Cinturato... thanks for the suggestion.

I am surprised car manufacturers haven't started using sound compensation through the speakers to cancel out the noise from the road, wind etc.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:

This ^^^^

My wife constantly raves about how quiet the car is. She has a 2015 Audi A8L and when we talk via bluetooth she always says "why is your car so quiet"!!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimori View Post
This ^^^^

My wife constantly raves about how quiet the car is. She has a 2015 Audi A8L and when we talk via bluetooth she always says "why is your car so quiet"!!
That has nothing to do with road noise. That is the noise cancelling microphones in the 7, which are way better than the Audi. I have a friend who has a new Q5 and it's the same. The BMW noise cancelling is great. I can talk with the windows rolled down and it's almost not audible on the phone. That doesn't mean it's not noisy in the car.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with road noise. That is the noise cancelling microphones in the 7, which are way better than the Audi. I have a friend who has a new Q5 and it's the same. The BMW noise cancelling is great. I can talk with the windows rolled down and it's almost not audible on the phone. That doesn't mean it's not noisy in the car.
I hear you. I am not talking about noise cancelling. Don't know about talking with windows rolled down. Point is the car is quieter than the F02. I only gave that example because in my F02, that wasn't the case. Carry on!
Old 02-11-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Microphones? Can you provide a reference link for this technology?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Microphones? Can you provide a reference link for this technology?
Not sure what you mean? The 7 series has several built in microphones for voice calls in the ceiling - one on the drivers side and one on the passengers side. This allows them to perform significant noise cancelling for phone calls.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
This allows them to perform significant noise cancelling for phone calls.
Yes can you provide references for this as pertains to the new Series 7? I can not seem to find ANY.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Yes can you provide references for this as pertains to the new Series 7? I can not seem to find ANY.
The best thing to do would be to drive one for yourself and pair your blutooth phone to it and make a phone call. The person on the other end of the call will tell you how good the conneciton quaity is (Hint: its great).
Old 02-12-2016, 02:24 PM

Alright. If anyone finds a reference to this documented anywhere, would love to see it!

Last edited by God-Follower; 02-13-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:44 AM

In my experience, compared to Japanese and American auto brands, BMW has the best tech when it comes to the other side hearing me when on the phone. In other cars, the voice quality deteriorates when highway/road noise creeps in the cabin. This is especially true when my wife, who is shorter and sits farther from the mic calls me..... when she's driving the BMW, its always perfect. In other cars (GM, Toyota/Lexus, Infinity/Nissan), I would annoy her because I'd make her repeat herself frequently since her voice cuts off a lot when on the highway. So for phone reasons alone, my wife either drives a really quiet car or a BMW. Since someone said Audi was not so good, how about Porsche/VW (probably same as Audi), Mercedes, or Volvo??
Old 02-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Alright. If anyone finds a reference to this documented anywhere, would love to see it!
I recommend you contact BMW. They are the best source to give you information on whatever it is that you are looking for.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 Alpina B7
Interesting thread, road noise is my pet peeve, I hate road roar. I love hearing the right sounds of a high end car.
Road noise on all my past and current 7's has not been great in my opinion, but I have had 21" Alpina wheels on my past 3 cars and I know that's a contributor vs a standard car.
On my test drives of the new car I found it to be allot quieter and I test drove an M sport with 20" wheels
I will let you know in a few weeks when my car arrives. This will be my first car with RFT, my wife has had a few and a few with really noisy RFT that I swapped and it made an AMAZING difference.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 PM

Great thread.

Its so bad It put me off buying one.

I then tried a 2016 and could not hear much. It really is car specific or they made slight changes to 16my cars.

This is shocking, sound proofing does not add weight, its such an easy fix, gutted.

Any more replies on this would be useful.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:56 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2017 G12 750ix 2014 F31
I have a 17 with Pirelli runflats. I don't agree the car is noisy. I came from a F10. Everyone who rides in the car remarks about how quiet it is, especially at highway speeds. I'm happy. My wife's happy. Maybe my hearing needs to be checked.
'19 G01 X3 30
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3, 5 (E39, F31 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (yes I am old )

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search