What Size Tires Can I Fit on a 320i/328i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 AM
LALeafs LALeafs is offline
Registered User
Location: LA
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 320i
What Size Tires Can I Fit on a 320i/328i

Hello, all.

I am hopeful that someone here could provide guidance on the largest tires I could put on a 2014 BMW 320i.

My thought, or hope, is that I will be able to put a set of 215/65 series BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires on a 2014 320i. Is this possible?

And, apart from a reduction in fuel efficiency, what are the downsides associated with putting muds/all terrains on a 320i.

Thank you, and I'm looking forward to any guidance this forum has to offer.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:49 AM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,388
Mein Auto: 540i; 330i
__________________
Current BMW's:

2020 540i MSport
2017 330i Sport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:57 AM
loggin loggin is offline
Registered User
Location: ca
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: f30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALeafs View Post
Hello, all.

I am hopeful that someone here could provide guidance on the largest tires I could put on a 2014 BMW 320i.

My thought, or hope, is that I will be able to put a set of 215/65 series BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires on a 2014 320i. Is this possible?

And, apart from a reduction in fuel efficiency, what are the downsides associated with putting muds/all terrains on a 320i.

Thank you, and I'm looking forward to any guidance this forum has to offer.
I suppose the first question is.. What are you trying to gain over using summer or winter tires??
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 04-19-2018, 12:01 PM
SC320.ix SC320.ix is offline
Registered User
Location: greenville sc
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: 320.i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by loggin View Post
I suppose the first question is.. What are you trying to gain over using summer or winter tires??
Duh !! goin muddin in swamplands ....

Hoping this is just a troll post ......
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2018, 12:28 PM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,388
Mein Auto: 540i; 330i
Anything is possible depending on the balance in your checkbook. A fellow 'Fester named ard has this for his weekend car at his gentleman's farm:

__________________
Current BMW's:

2020 540i MSport
2017 330i Sport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2018, 12:40 PM
pdegene pdegene is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Minneapolis, MN
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 216
Mein Auto: 14' BMW 335xi M-Sport 6MT
https://www.bmwcca.org/news/video-30...road-challenge
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2018, 03:52 PM
John MS John MS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia, USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,964
Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALeafs View Post
Hello, all.

I am hopeful that someone here could provide guidance on the largest tires I could put on a 2014 BMW 320i.

My thought, or hope, is that I will be able to put a set of 215/65 series BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires on a 2014 320i. Is this possible?

And, apart from a reduction in fuel efficiency, what are the downsides associated with putting muds/all terrains on a 320i.

Thank you, and I'm looking forward to any guidance this forum has to offer.

Just open those wheel wells a bit and get you a set of these. Will take you anywhere!
https://commercial.firestone.com/en/...uct/flot-23-dt

edit: Are you practicing for 4-1-2019?

Last edited by John MS; 04-19-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2018, 04:47 PM
LALeafs LALeafs is offline
Registered User
Location: LA
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 320i
As to why see: https://uncrate.com/1983-porsche-911sc-safari/

I think a pair of all-terrains would be bad ass. Also, roads are garbage in LA. And the pending apocalypse.

I'm 100% sincere about this post, but it's just a superficial mod. That's why I'm asking the forum for its collective knowledge. Is it possible, or what will a 2014 320i allow for?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2018, 06:17 PM
DCWhybrew DCWhybrew is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oklahoma
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 176
Mein Auto: 2014 320i
***129318;***8205;***9794;***65039;


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-20-2018, 01:43 PM
vw2bmw's Avatar
vw2bmw vw2bmw is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Internet
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 520
Mein Auto: 340 M Sport
Using big, fat tires will only worsen handling, acceleration, etc, and TBH they make a car look funky. Stick to recommended tire sizes for your vehicle. There really is no gain, except people looking and wondering WTH is that?


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
__________________
2018 340 M Sport, AT, Glacier Silver, Cohiba Brown
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Elk Elk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ~
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,306
Mein Auto: ~


Installing all-terrain tires is no sillier than putting on 19 inch wheels and/or lowering the car "to fill in the wheel wells," taping little carbon fiber spoilers to the trunk lid, and other "look at me" mods which are popular on this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-21-2018, 03:23 PM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,205
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALeafs View Post
Hello, all.

I am hopeful that someone here could provide guidance on the largest tires I could put on a 2014 BMW 320i.

My thought, or hope, is that I will be able to put a set of 215/65 series BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires on a 2014 320i. Is this possible?

And, apart from a reduction in fuel efficiency, what are the downsides associated with putting muds/all terrains on a 320i.

Thank you, and I'm looking forward to any guidance this forum has to offer.
225/55R16 is the correct size. The 215/65R16 profile gives a tire that is 4% bigger in diameter than what it should be.

If your car isn't an xDrive it won't matter at all; maybe not even then if you have a square setup. Acceleration and handling will be for ****, and your speedo/odo will be off.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-21-2018, 06:37 PM
tex2670's Avatar
tex2670 tex2670 is offline
You Don't Need to Know
Location: Phila
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,032
Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALeafs View Post
As to why see: https://uncrate.com/1983-porsche-911sc-safari/

I think a pair of all-terrains would be bad ass. Also, roads are garbage in LA. And the pending apocalypse.

I'm 100% sincere about this post, but it's just a superficial mod. That's why I'm asking the forum for its collective knowledge. Is it possible, or what will a 2014 320i allow for?

Thanks.
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Shon528's Avatar
Shon528 Shon528 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,401
Send a message via AIM to Shon528 Send a message via Yahoo to Shon528
Mein Auto: '16 GLE350
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALeafs View Post
As to why see: https://uncrate.com/1983-porsche-911sc-safari/

I think a pair of all-terrains would be bad ass. Also, roads are garbage in LA. And the pending apocalypse.

I'm 100% sincere about this post, but it's just a superficial mod. That's why I'm asking the forum for its collective knowledge. Is it possible, or what will a 2014 320i allow for?

Thanks.
Oh, you're serious!, ok, I'll bite. Any surface upon which an a/t tire will be beneficial, your limited ground clearance will make thir advantage null and void. A mod is supposed to be a change to give an improvement, even if it only in the eye of the beholder. There is no improvement to be had by running an a/t tire on a sport sedan. For what you're looking to do, I'd advise to trade the 320 in for a Subaru Legacy and throw those tires on that.
__________________
Boston CCA 383036
'20 M340i (on order, ED 7/2020)
'19 MB GLS450
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD

Gone: '17 340i 6mt, MPPSK, PCD 2/17, '16 GLE350, '06 LR3 HSE, '14 320i 6MT ZSP ZPP PCD 5/14, '12 ML350 diesel, '11 Accord 5mt, '10 MDX, '08 Accord 5mt, '06 Xterra 6mt, '98 528i, '95 Mazda Millenia
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-24-2018, 03:54 PM
LALeafs LALeafs is offline
Registered User
Location: LA
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon528 View Post
Oh, you're serious!, ok, I'll bite. Any surface upon which an a/t tire will be beneficial, your limited ground clearance will make thir advantage null and void. A mod is supposed to be a change to give an improvement, even if it only in the eye of the beholder. There is no improvement to be had by running an a/t tire on a sport sedan. For what you're looking to do, I'd advise to trade the 320 in for a Subaru Legacy and throw those tires on that.
Hi, Shon.

Thank you for the helpful reply.

What are your thoughts about a 2007 BMW X3 AWD 4dr 3.0si .

What size tires do you expect that model BMW to take?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-24-2018, 03:55 PM
LALeafs LALeafs is offline
Registered User
Location: LA
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw2bmw View Post
Using big, fat tires will only worsen handling, acceleration, etc, and TBH they make a car look funky. Stick to recommended tire sizes for your vehicle. There really is no gain, except people looking and wondering WTH is that?


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-24-2018, 03:56 PM
LALeafs LALeafs is offline
Registered User
Location: LA
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
225/55R16 is the correct size. The 215/65R16 profile gives a tire that is 4% bigger in diameter than what it should be.

If your car isn't an xDrive it won't matter at all; maybe not even then if you have a square setup. Acceleration and handling will be for ****, and your speedo/odo will be off.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-26-2018, 09:43 AM
Eagle11's Avatar
Eagle11 Eagle11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley of the Sun
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,939
Mein Auto: 2017 330i
__________________
2017 330i, 475, KCL3, ZDA, ZPP, 2A5, 494, 4GA, 609, 6CP BMS JB tune and Many Coded goodies

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.