Strange sound when turning steering wheel both left or right...any advice? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series

3 Series & 4 Series
The BMW 3 Series and 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 11-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
Strange sound when turning steering wheel both left or right...any advice?

It is very ugly noise like something is rubbing against something . It looks like steering pump problem to me but I could be wrong. Has anyone experienced similar problem that can shed some light here.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 05:07 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by es
It is very ugly noise like something is rubbing against something . It looks like steering pump problem to me but I could be wrong. Has anyone experienced similar problem that can shed some light here.
Thanks.
cv joint?

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 11-14-2004, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by es
Thanks.
Check your power steering fluid. I know ... the manual does not mention anything about this subject (nor say what kind of fluid is needed).
If you need to top up the fluid, the power steering fluid is Dexron III automatic transmission fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 05:37 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldn
Check your power steering fluid. I know ... the manual does not mention anything about this subject (nor say what kind of fluid is needed).
If you need to top up the fluid, the power steering fluid is Dexron III automatic transmission fluid.
Very good suggestion! Dunno why I didn't think of that one!

Old 11-15-2004, 04:00 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by es
Thanks.
If the noise is small "squeak" type, it could be something else: the contact ring for the airbag/buttons/horn. I had this noise mostly happen around the dead center, only at parking-lot speeds. Frustrating, but nothing major.

Was fixed under warranty. Hope this is what's in your case and not the steering pump.

adc
03 330 ZHP
Old 11-17-2004, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
thanks people...it was just oil low :)

Old 11-20-2004, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto:
I have the same problem when i turn left... like 45 degree the noise is comming from the connection between the steering wheel...dunno how to explane it but its like rubbing or something i went to fix it and they said we can't fix it and we have no clue how to fix it.. and i was like wtf.... anyone know what the problem is?um..the noise can only hear inside the car...not outside....
Old 11-20-2004, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 5
CV joint in a rear wheel drive car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jever
cv joint?
Old 11-20-2004, 05:14 PM
call me darkcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker
I'm no mechanic, hence the "?" Hell, I was never even a "car guy" other than just admiring BMW until I found this website. I'm learning new stuff every day.

Old 11-20-2004, 08:40 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_e46
I have the same problem when i turn left... like 45 degree the noise is comming from the connection between the steering wheel...dunno how to explane it but its like rubbing or something i went to fix it and they said we can't fix it and we have no clue how to fix it.. and i was like wtf.... anyone know what the problem is?um..the noise can only hear inside the car...not outside....
1) Change dealers. A dealer who says they don't have a clue how to fix things and sends you on your way just like that does not deserve your business. You should also call BMW of Canada Customer Satisfaction and report this behaviour.

2) At the new dealer, tell them the symptoms and tell them a friend of yours had the steering wheel contact ring changed. Of course they won't know if it's that until they take it apart, but they will have a starting point. In my car, the mechanic could actually see where the ring was deformed (warped) and the obvious rubbing marks.

I got to say, my relationship with my BMW dealer is one of the main reasons why we'll be switching our 2nd car from an A4 to a 325xiT or similar. We love the Audi car but hate the dealer's service with a passion. Find a good dealer and stick with it, it will make your car ownership experience positively shine.

Good luck, if it's just that then that's an easy fix...

adc
03 330 ZHP
Old 11-22-2004, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto:
Check your control arms!!!! I thought it was low oil on mine, which made the problem go away for a while but it was really the control arms. MANY 3-series have this problem!! Does it sound like a groaning noise?? Thats how mine sounded, it could get dangerous if you continue to drive on bad control arms. Even if you think you fixed the problem I would still suggest you check them.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series
Today's Posts Search