G-Series Enabling wifi in G30 with NBT and TV via coding - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:15 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch View Post
I see thanks, on my G30 it is Alpine headunit which seems common in Asia market. And as you live in Kiev which is just in the middle of Europe and Asia So I just wonder if I can adopt your method.

As I heard it is a bit different between Harman and Alpine unit. And I didn't know that you haven't opened since first you were asking adding aerial to the headunit which must remove the headunit.

In face it is very easy to remove the headunit

Thank you for your info anyway and enjoy and carplay.
His is Harman Becker. Alpine is only Asian (Taiwan, China, Hong Kong / Macao, Korea, and Japan).

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 09-21-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2017, 12:30 AM

Mein Auto: G30 520D
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
His is Harman Becker. Alpine is only Asian (Taiwan, China, Hong Kong / Macao, Korea, and Japan).
Shawnsheridan, any method to activate carplay on alpine headunit as you know? thank you

Last edited by zilch; 09-22-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Shawnsheridan, any method to activate carplay on alpine headunit as you know? thank you
Not that I have seen.

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: G30 540i xDrive
Quote:
In face it is very easy to remove the headunit
Do you have photos of steps or general instructions on this for G30?
Old 09-22-2017, 06:44 AM

MORE INFO:

I've looked up in the Rheingold and I spot this:

So there is no WLAN Aerial. But Apple CarPlay works, wifi network is visible, and there is also a direct wifi network, all with half of bars of connection power. Conclusion - WLAN antenna isn't present, but metal connector still works as an antenna to service short range.

Once I disable WLAN Diagnose setting on HU, Screen mirroring and other 6NS stuff appeared.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Line-disconnection.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	671865  

Last edited by maxvpalov; 09-22-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvpalov View Post
MORE INFO:

I've looked up in the Rheingold and I spot this:
So there is no WLAN Aerial. But Apple CarPlay works, wifi network is visible, and there is also a direct wifi network, all with half of bars of connection power. Conclusion - WLAN antenna isn't present, but metal connector still works as an antenna to service short range.

Once I disable WLAN Diagnose setting on HU, Screen mirroring and other 6NS stuff appeared.
Strange as I thought all Gxx had WLAN Aerial.

When you set WLAN_DIAGNOSE = nicht_aktiv, and then check Rheingold, do you still have Line-Disconnection Error?

Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:

When you set WLAN_DIAGNOSE = nicht_aktiv, and then check Rheingold, do you still have Line-Disconnection Error?
I've checked today and unfortunately yes. Now I have also a Microphone 2 line connection error, but that one started to appear after I've added 6NS to HU. It shows this despite the fact that the setting for number of mic's stayed to 1. I've heard people coding that there still are only one mic, but mine gives an error anyway.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:03 AM

Mein Auto: G30 520D
Quote:
I've checked today and unfortunately yes. Now I have also a Microphone 2 line connection error, but that one started to appear after I've added 6NS to HU. It shows this despite the fact that the setting for number of mic's stayed to 1. I've heard people coding that there still are only one mic, but mine gives an error anyway.
Will you try Screen Mirroring with Android? Since screen mirroring is using wi-fi miracast, you will know if there is problem if you can or cannot screen mirror. Of cource you need coding to enable it first. just my 2 cents

Last edited by zilch; 09-25-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:59 AM

@Shawnsheridan, I remember you asked if the Rheingold still reports and error of WLAN line disconnect if I disable the WLAN_DIAGNOSE option. Today I double checked and the following info is 100% true:

With WLAN_DIAGNOSE disabled, I do not get any error on the ECU.

This still doesn't tell me if I do or do not have WLAN Aerial, but error is gone + CarPlay and everything else works just fine.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
@Shawnsheridan, I remember you asked if the Rheingold still reports and error of WLAN line disconnect if I disable the WLAN_DIAGNOSE option. Today I double checked and the following info is 100% true:

With WLAN_DIAGNOSE disabled, I do not get any error on the ECU.

This still doesn't tell me if I do or do not have WLAN Aerial, but error is gone + CarPlay and everything else works just fine.
Pull Head Unit from Dash, and see if WLAN Antenna is connected or not.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: F30
Enabling wifi in G30 with NBT and TV via coding

iím not surprised wifi / carplay still works without a physical antenna plugged. In fact, bluetooth can work also without antenna plugged but itís quite unit dependent. itís just a matter of range how far it works

if wifi diagnostic is aktiv and there is error from ista, you can pretty much rely on the result (for factory antenna)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by bmwdd; 09-28-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:39 AM

Mein Auto: 118i LCI 2017
Quote:
Ok, so I've purchased the FSC codes but haven't applied them yet. I did an FDL coding on HU_NBT2 and have enabled Apple car play, Apple enhanced support, WLAN status, WLAN direct, WLAN AP and WLAN diag and something called "mirroring" which I assume is Screen Mirroring, since it's on NBT CADF.

After applying coding, I see "In-car Wifi" in the connectivity menu. After two iDrive controller clicks, I can get it to become checked.
No wifi newtorks appear in the car I could connect to.

Given that you guys now know the info above, do you think I don't have a WLAN antenna connected and I should disassemble dash to connect it to NBT module, or should I go ahead and apply the CarPlay FSC code and then try it? I've seen people writing that they see that WLAN antenna has a short circuit, but I wasn't able to get the details on where I could look-up this error. This would really allow me to know if I have WLAN antenna in without opening a dash of a brand new vihecle.
Hi Max,
could you pls. advise about the source of fsc code for activation of CarPlay and how much did it cost you?
Given the fact you are not very much impressed with performance of carPlay in your car , do you think it's been worth to pay that money for fsc?
Thanks!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X30 x20d G01 2018
Anyone would provide a link to a guide on how to disassemble headunit to coonect aerial antenna please?
Before purchasing an fsc code I want to know how easy is to connect an antenna...
Old 08-10-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpaty View Post
Anyone would provide a link to a guide on how to disassemble headunit to coonect aerial antenna please?
Before purchasing an fsc code I want to know how easy is to connect an antenna...
Why do you think you do not have one? I am under impression all Gxx cars with Nav Professional, have WiFi Antenna.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X30 x20d G01 2018
Quote:
Why do you think you do not have one? I am under impression all Gxx cars with Nav Professional, have WiFi Antenna.
Shawn, I'm sorry man but that's just not true. Maybe in the US market all ID5/6 have that but not in EU. I have activated screen mirroring by coding, for which I needed to enable WLAN and the signal is extremely poor, meaning about 50% with the phone just under the head unit. If I move the phone a few centimetres out, signal gets a lot lower. This means that the HU has a WiFi module that can be activated, but that there is no hardware Antenna attached to it...
I honestly do not believe that people actually purchasing this option have such low signal, so Antenna MUST be missing...

Last edited by Simpaty; 08-11-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpaty View Post
Shawn, I'm sorry man but that's just not true. Maybe in the US market all ID5/6 have that but not in EU. I have activated screen mirroring by coding, for which I needed to enable WLAN and the signal is extremely poor, meaning about 50% with the phone just under the head unit. If I move the phone a few centimetres out, signal gets a lot lower. This means that the HU has a WiFi module that can be activated, but that there is no hardware Antenna attached to it...
I honestly do not believe that people actually purchasing this option have such low signal, so Antenna MUST be missing...
You make be right, maybe not all Gxx. G01 is new and can be different. But, WLAN Aerial is cheap, and popping Head Unit out of dash and pushing WiFi Aerial onto back of it is not difficult.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 08-11-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 3GT
Quote:

To add to the above, my F34 did not come with an aerial
After 6CP FSC and coding, CarPlay worked as expected but with limited range
As expected, I also got a WLAN aerial disconnection error

I installed a WLAN aerial today - the feature is now working as expected
Both the range and signal levels (RSSI) have improved dramatically

However, ISTA-D still returned the WLAN disconnection error as existent
Clearing the code did not make any difference either

As a workaround, I disabled WLAN_DIAGNOSIS after which the error has disappeared

As far as I understand, WLAN_diagnosis wert_value is expected to be aktiv for 6CP
now that the antenna is connected and actually working `as expected, I'd have thought the error would disappear but that does not seem to be the case..
Weird!
Old 05-08-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_czar View Post
To add to the above, my F34 did not come with an aerial
I installed a WLAN aerial today - the feature is now working as expected
Both the range and signal levels (RSSI) have improved dramatically
Can you describe where did the antenna pigtail go from Head Unit on? I say something like it should be streched down to underneath the driver's seat. Wonder where your antenna got installed to. Thanks.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
coding, nbt, wifi

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search