BMW E60 Android Screen replacement - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-03-2018, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 e61 535xi
I was looking at the SMARTY trend from another link and youtube video but in the comments the seller said that the "click wheel" doesn't work on the Android side but on the still works on the BMW side. This would leave me to believe you would be having to touch the screen a lot for navigating the android side. If the display was closer to the driver like in some other cars from 2008 then it wouldn't be an issue but e60/61 you would have to lean forward like every other time you wanted to do something. I'm still leaning towards what the OP shared even with the older Android OS.

@etherghost, how will it weaken the BMW security system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2018, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
I did a fair bit of research of all the different units and their capabilities and concluded this one was probably the best of the lot https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-E60-...AAAOSwItJacsg7

Installed it last week and have been trying it out and I'm pretty happy with it, the idrive wheel does work in the android menu including scrolling through and selecting apps just not deep in android settings. steering wheels buttons work too as well as reverse camera shows up as soon as its put into R without having do do any additional switch wiring.

I was told voice command doesnt function although I installed google voice and it does work (when connected online, still looking for offline option, personal assistant app maybe?) would have liked the voice switch on the steering wheel to work but it acts as a hotkey for navigation instead.

certainly modernises an ageing vehicle with the kind of tech we come to expect these days, beauty of it being android is I can expand its ability with apps.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 525xi E60 N52 automati
Quote:
Originally Posted by reegz View Post
I did a fair bit of research of all the different units and their capabilities and concluded this one was probably the best of the lot https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-E60-...AAAOSwItJacsg7

Installed it last week and have been trying it out and I'm pretty happy with it, the idrive wheel does work in the android menu including scrolling through and selecting apps just not deep in android settings. steering wheels buttons work too as well as reverse camera shows up as soon as its put into R without having do do any additional switch wiring.

I was told voice command doesnt function although I installed google voice and it does work (when connected online, still looking for offline option, personal assistant app maybe?) would have liked the voice switch on the steering wheel to work but it acts as a hotkey for navigation instead.

certainly modernises an ageing vehicle with the kind of tech we come to expect these days, beauty of it being android is I can expand its ability with apps.
Can you still Access vehicle Maintance and such like oil level and tpms brake pad life and all that good stuff? And how is the sound quality after replacing the unit?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2018, 08:04 AM

Yes can still access my old CCC menu as per normal by holding the menu button for 1sec, can switch between displays easily doing this and all the standard idrive stuff is there. Still get the warnings etc (although I need to be on original menu screen too see them) this doesn't fully replace your old system it replaces the screen and adds additional functionality whilst integrating into the original stereo.

Sound wise, no complaints sounds as good if not better than original except I have more music to choose from
Old 02-06-2018, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: yanks mad!
Quote:
Yes can still access my old CCC menu as per normal by holding the menu button for 1sec, can switch between displays easily doing this and all the standard idrive stuff is there. Still get the warnings etc (although I need to be on original menu screen too see them) this doesn't fully replace your old system it replaces the screen and adds additional functionality whilst integrating into the original stereo.

Sound wise, no complaints sounds as good if not better than original except I have more music to choose from
Which one did you get? The one with 1.2 Ghz Cortex A9 or the one with the 1.6 Ghz Allwinner?
Old 02-06-2018, 03:55 PM

Mine is the 1.6ghz cortex a9
Old 02-06-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Mine is the 1.6ghz cortex a9
What's the boot up time like and do you like the unit overall?

By the way, when buying from that ebay link where is the option to let the seller know which unit I want (CCC/CIC, AUX Input, etc.)?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by Etherghost; 02-06-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E60 545i
So I got the answers back on the questions that I sent to avinusa.com

Have tried to put the relevant parts here..

The unit is basically a monitor replacement unit. Your factory radio stays in place and continues to work normally as it does now. Only the monitor is replaced.

Bluetooth support for newer phones:
Yes, our monitor has built-in Bluetooth that does work with the iPhone X.

Software updates:
Software updates are free for all of our customers.

You must install AUX input for it to work with our monitor. Without it, you will have NO sound.
The monitor uses the AUX channel and that AUX channel outputs sound to all of your cars speakers.

Apple Car Play:
The CarPlay adapter requires a USB connection to your iPhone X.

Spotify support:
Spotify is supported.

DAB Support (may be relevant for Europe only)
It is DAB+. Correct you can start to use DAB+ radio right away.

TPMS Option
The TPMS kit includes the receiver and 4 tire sensors that go on your tire valve.

As my DVD drive have the lens issue and I have not had it replaced I asked if I need to have that working and the answer was no

Warrenty:
1 year replacement warranty.

Guarantee:
We guarantee it will work. We have sold a lot of these units around the world.

All factory features and function will continue to work normally as it does now. This includes all steering wheel button controls, factory TPMS, the backup camera, iDrive controls, SiriusXM, and iDrive menu settings and options.

Hope this helps
Old 02-07-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annolago View Post
So I got the answers back on the questions that I sent to avinusa.com

Have tried to put the relevant parts here..

The unit is basically a monitor replacement unit. Your factory radio stays in place and continues to work normally as it does now. Only the monitor is replaced.

Bluetooth support for newer phones:
Yes, our monitor has built-in Bluetooth that does work with the iPhone X.

Software updates:
Software updates are free for all of our customers.

You must install AUX input for it to work with our monitor. Without it, you will have NO sound.
The monitor uses the AUX channel and that AUX channel outputs sound to all of your cars speakers.

Apple Car Play:
The CarPlay adapter requires a USB connection to your iPhone X.

Spotify support:
Spotify is supported.

DAB Support (may be relevant for Europe only)
It is DAB+. Correct you can start to use DAB+ radio right away.

TPMS Option
The TPMS kit includes the receiver and 4 tire sensors that go on your tire valve.

As my DVD drive have the lens issue and I have not had it replaced I asked if I need to have that working and the answer was no

Warrenty:
1 year replacement warranty.

Guarantee:
We guarantee it will work. We have sold a lot of these units around the world.

All factory features and function will continue to work normally as it does now. This includes all steering wheel button controls, factory TPMS, the backup camera, iDrive controls, SiriusXM, and iDrive menu settings and options.

Hope this helps
I found yet another unit with more RAM (2 GB), Android 6.x and, supposedly a Quad-Core 1.6 Ghz CPU as opposed to a 1.2 Ghz CPU on most units. Supposedly because most of the listing mentions 1.6 Ghz and some still shows 1.2 Ghz. Probably not a big difference in terms of speed but still better...
Old 02-07-2018, 10:09 AM

can you post a link to it
Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
can you post a link to it
Sure...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B079JY...60+android+6.x

Old 02-07-2018, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: '87535is / 2008 535xi e61
That unit is biig money.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbp14 View Post
That unit is biig money.
A cic retro fit is big money. You looking at cheapest I have seen and actually got the guy down to 900 but was 1100... I just can't see spending that right now considering I'm looking to buy a 2016 audi S4 and tune it.. I'm still keeping my E60. I put alot of time and work into her and for a 11 year old car she looks and drives new..

Old 02-07-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknice91303 View Post
A cic retro fit is big money. You looking at cheapest I have seen and actually got the guy down to 900 but was 1100... I just can't see spending that right now considering I'm looking to buy a 2016 audi S4 and tune it.. I'm still keeping my E60. I put alot of time and work into her and for a 11 year old car she looks and drives new..

+1 on the CIC retro fit cost.. This Android unit is the best bang for buck and gives a lot of options that a traditional CCC or even CIC doesn't or can't...

Anyway, so you are still hung on that 2016 S4, huh?
Old 02-07-2018, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: '87535is / 2008 535xi e61
Any idea if those units are able to connect and display jb4 Bluetooth?
Old 02-08-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherghost View Post
+1 on the CIC retro fit cost.. This Android unit is the best bang for buck and gives a lot of options that a traditional CCC or even CIC doesn't or can't...

Anyway, so you are still hung on that 2016 S4, huh?
Yeah I'm still gonna go for it... I have looked around at some 2014-2016 550i xdrive and just want to go a different route. But still gonna keep my E60. I can't let her go. I feel in love with it lol

Old 02-08-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherghost View Post
What's the boot up time like and do you like the unit overall?

By the way, when buying from that ebay link where is the option to let the seller know which unit I want (CCC/CIC, AUX Input, etc.)?
its about 30 secs boot up to the time it continues playing the song I left off from, its instant if the car hasn't had time to go to sleep. yeah I'm happy with it pretty sweet unit.

I Provided the details tot he seller by email before finalising payment.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:47 AM

I heard that the higher android units arent very stable and tend to freeze/restart which is why most of them are android 4.4
Old 02-08-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
its about 30 secs boot up to the time it continues playing the song I left off from, its instant if the car hasn't had time to go to sleep. yeah I'm happy with it pretty sweet unit.

I Provided the details tot he seller by email before finalising payment.
What unit did you end up getting?

Old 02-08-2018, 05:32 PM

I got one of these units https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112784396646
Old 02-09-2018, 07:51 AM

And are you happy?
Old 02-09-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
And are you happy?
Check his other posts above...

Old 02-09-2018, 12:17 PM

Quick headsup... Supposedly, Android 4.4 is the most stable release for this unit. I'm tempted to buy the most recent unit with Android 6.0, 2 gigs of RAM and Cortex 1.6 Ghz CPU..

Last edited by Etherghost; 02-09-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:51 AM

I was tempted too but I knew if it kept crashing or freezing, restarting on me I'd be annoyed as hell especially if I might need to pull over to restart the car to get it running again. if it freezes the restart button is on the box which you hide inside the dash so not really accessible where turning the car of and on doesnt resolve it. if the restart button is on the screen unit itself its probably a good sign it does freeze a bit.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 525xi
Not too much talk of the Dynavin N6 unit which has been available for some time.
http://www.dynavin.com/products/n6_e60.php

I never considered it for my E60 as I wanted everything OEM but wouldn't that be a better solution compared to the Chinese products?
I think the Dynavin N6 unit is highly regarded on E39, E90 forums.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search