Tire Rotation - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)

G20 (2019 - Current)

Old 01-12-2020, 10:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: locally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Maybe somebody stole your relatively new rear tires (and wheels) and replaced them with old tires (and wheels).
You think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closem Joe View Post
You think?
I wouldn't put it past somebody at a crooked dealer.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 330i
So do you agree the tires should not be worn after that little mileage? Besides someone swapping them would there be any other cause to the premature wear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 02:32 PM

Drifting, track day...
Old 02-03-2020, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrjohn View Post
Do I need to rotate the run flats on my new 330i?
I never rotated it.

At 25,000 my Summer pirelli run flats were changed and perfectly worn down EVENLY on all 4. The alignment Was perfect and didnt suffer any damage.

If you hit a major pothole then get it inspected.

Last edited by Matera007; 02-03-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matera007 View Post
The BMW techs in Los Angeles told me Tire Rotations are a thing of the past.

Most BMWs are aligned with that particular tire characteristics. They said Leave it alone.

At 25,000 my Summer pirelli run flats were changed and perfectly worn down EVENLY on all 4. The alignment did its job.
It's a thing of the past with a staggered set-up (back tires wider than the front ones). If you have OE summer (high-performance) tires, you probably have a staggered set-up.

The driven tires on a 2WD vehicle generally wear faster than the undriven ones. xDrive (BMW lingo for AWD) doesn't evenly distribute power. On everything xDrive but the X1 and the new 2 Series Grand Coupe, about 60% of the power still goes to the back tires.

BMW's alignment spec's call for a little bit of toe-in on all four tires, and a lot of negative camber in the back. Those spec's can cause uneven wear, but are beneficial for handling. Alignment values can be tweaked and still be within the BMW spec' window, to make the tires wear more evenly.

I precisely measure my tread depths (in the four circumferential channels) when I rotate tires. My sDrive (RWD) 535i's rear tires wear about twice as fast as the fronts. Frau Putzer's xDrive (AWD) X3's rear tires wear only slightly more than the fronts. I absolutely flog my FWD Chevy Cobalt SS. The front tires on it wear three times as fast as the back ones.

If you have a staggered set-up, the wider rear tires would last longer without rotation than if you have a square set-up (all tires and wheels the same size). Also, you might have received an alignment skewed more toward even tire wear, and maybe you do a lot of fast, fun turning, rip-snorting through Topanga Canyon and all. Where I live the roads are straight and flat. The only turning we do here is at intersections.

I have square set-ups on all three of my cars, and rotate my tires. I'll get almost 40k miles out of my summer non-run-flats on my 535i, and almost 45k miles out of my summer non-run-flats on my Cobalt. I'm expecting around 55k miles out of the OE, all-season non-run-flats on the X3.

Most new BMW's are leased, and most have a square-set up. Rotation is another tool to get to the end of a BMW FS lease and still have enough tread (4/32") to avoid the dreaded excessive tire wear fee at turn-in.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 02-03-2020 at 02:03 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)
Today's Posts Search