What are You Planning Next for Your E39? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-18-2020, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 528i
What are You Planning Next for Your E39?

Now that I have my cooling system completely gone through... my next plan of action will be to replace the drive line support bearing and guibos,,, from there it will be front end refurb....

So whats next on your 5 series??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528i Steptronic
Ok, Iíll take the 1st bite on this new thread. I plan on replacing my whole driveshaft from a place in Texas, I have looked into this and they offer a complete unit, balanced and ready to go. They offer it with or without the Guibo, cannot recall the brand, I plan on buying one (Guibo) separately. It comes with the CSB and CV joint all ready to go, I just want to do a plug and play, donít want to take apart the drive shaft. If you choose to take apart your driveshafts, make sure you mark them for correct balance upon reinstallation, very important, plus, there is a driveshaft preload procedure that needs to be adhered to for success when doing this before you cinch up the center support bearing. There is only one ďGuiboĒ BTW, Iím guessing that was a typo.
Need to replace my tie rods purchased from FCP euro 5 years ago, Lemforder, Chicago streets have taken them. Those have lifetime warranty so only labor of my own and an alignment, itís been 3 years since the last one, car still tracks straight. Waiting till spring to put on the front bumper I grabbed at the bone yard last fall ($35.00 and its OEM BMW plastic) had it painted for $300.00 by a shop down the alley from my work, they mix their own paint and did a real nice job matching the Orient Blau Metallic.
My car is a bit lowered and through the years I have destroyed the lower part of my front bumper, parking lot challenged I am apparently, worse in the summer months with the M-Pars and Michelinís on my car, I just back in to parking spots now. Got some fairly unmolested pork chops to go along with my bumper replacement as well. Original chops are shot but the outside temp sensor is holding strongly in place and I am really pleased with that....LOL. And then there is this that and the other, on and on.
Really dig the E39 platform, BMW got it right on this one.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:51 PM
Nothing to read here...

Mein Auto: 2001 525i 5 spd
I got drive line issues too. Originally guibo gave out and left everything worn. Both output shaft on the trans and input on the diff have play. Diff is top priority I guess.

Intake and CC is chock full of carbon. Ill probably get a used intake and clean it up. As for the chambers well carbon=increased compression=powah lol

And the 17in style 32 rims need refinishing

Other than that car is in ok shape. I do have some plans for it tho but being low on cash plus school and work fulltime leave little time to do any projects.
-Coilovers or lowering springs on blisteins or something.
-Forced Induction. Either a Eaton m90 with a diy bracket kit or a turbo. I would really like a top mount but all the manifolds dump too close to the abs so ive considering welding up my own with a friend. I dont want crazy power, just want the FI.
-Tranny swap. Will do this only when the clutch gives out.
-Maybe just maybe do an engine rebuild.

**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

If you live near me and need help reading codes give me a buzz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: E39 1998 528i (b.d.07/98)
Promising thread! No shortage of work to be done on these cars, given their age. My 98 528i, even though it only has 110k Miles on it (178k KM), required a lot of work to get the all the rubber refreshed, as it is dried out after 20 years+. I'm talking bushings and gaskets.

Since I bought the car, almost a year ago at 97k miles, I changed all suspension components, including 7 rear subframe bushings, got driveshaft balanced, flex disk & CSB replaced, CV joints re-greased, all fluids changed, and a few parts in engine bay have been renewed. Next up: tranny+engine mounts. Hopefully that will take care of the last little vibrations. I'll leave those to the local shop though. It's kinda too cold out (-15įC in Montreal, Canada).

Also planning on adding a tranny oil temp gauge. Just missing the M14 sender, which should fit in the drain hole.

Cheers
Old 01-20-2020, 03:00 PM
What Speed Limit?

Mein Auto: 2003 M5, 2002 540i RIP :(
I made a list of things to sort on my M5 from simple items like replacing cracked side marker lights, to major things such as coolant and suspension overhaul. Last check, the list is at 50.

So yeah this car will keep me busy for awhile lol.

Sent from Uranus with Love
Old 01-20-2020, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528i, '03 530i '06 X5
Currently waiting on ABS module rebuild from BBA-Reman

Need to replace plastic elbow at top of radiator for vent hose.

Front suspension refresh when it gets a little warmer. Parts are already in hand.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:56 PM

This was on my list for a while... easy but a nice improvement.... Next up, front end parts refresh.
Before/After
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200121_135932_resized.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	879317   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200121_140022_resized.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	879319  

Last edited by Ultm8drvnmchn; 01-21-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540iT
Now that my engine swap is done in the 540iT and new transmission, cooling system and way more other stuff... this is the list;

Dinavin 7 install
BAV sound speaker replacement
Carbon fiber vinyl wrap wood trim panels
Order CoCo mats
Send car to be painted

It will be new again...
Old 01-21-2020, 07:51 PM
Nothing to read here...

Mein Auto: 2001 525i 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultm8drvnmchn View Post
This was on my list for a while... easy but a nice improvement.... Next up, front end parts refresh.
Before/After
bruh gotta tell me how. did you use a rebuild service or diy?

**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

If you live near me and need help reading codes give me a buzz.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyApple View Post
bruh gotta tell me how. did you use a rebuild service or diy?
$150. German Audio Tech sent the rebuilt unit to me. The site says they will buy the old ones. I have an email out to see for how much.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW e39 540i
Next for me is custom 3" stainless exhaust from the headers back. Last weekend I installed a Cipher Bucket seat. definitely holds me in a lot better.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:43 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
If I had not moved to California two years ago, I'd consider dropping a supercharger in her. Illegal here. Instead, I may have Ceramic Pro applied to her. I did it to my 2011 Porsche Cayman a year and a half ago. The Cayman looks showroom new.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MyCayman2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	879781  
Conti Extreme Contact 06 DWS
HAWK Ceramic Performance brake pads
KONI FSD
M5 Swaybar (rear)
DINAN Tune (+AFE dry air filter)
Beisan VANOS Seals + anti rattle kit
Dynavin N6 (NAV Unit) + Rearview Camera
BavSound Stage 1 Speaker Upgrade + JL Wedge SubWoofer

Last edited by seemyad; 01-25-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: E39, E53, E92, F86
My beloved needs a 'lil refresh as follows:
- Valve stem seals
- Valve cover gasket
- Coolant and thermostat
- New valve cover
- O2 sensors
- Trans solenoids and gasket/filter
- Air pump
- Rear BSW speakers. Others updated together with Eonon Android HU with IBUS-App. The app gives me AE DRL via software!
- Front window cowl
- Repaint wipers
- Beisan Seal
- Replace front seat leather covers

That's all . Spent about $1,200 on all these stuff. Wify thinks I've lost it. This car is very special to me, though. Bought it in 2001 with 48k miles. Now at 230k miles and still as solid as ever .

Last edited by musa; 01-25-2020 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:22 PM
BMW ****ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
My beloved needs a 'lil refresh as follows:
- Valve stem seals
- Valve cover gasket
- Coolant and thermostat
- New valve cover
- O2 sensors
- Trans solenoids and gasket/filter
- Air pump
- Rear BSW speakers. Others updated together with Eonon Android HU with IBUS-App. The app gives me AE DRL via software!
- Front window cowl
- Repaint wipers
- Beisan Seal
- Replace front seat leather covers

That's all . Spent about $1,200 on all these stuff. Wify thinks I've lost it. This car is very special to me, though. Bought it in 2001 with 48k miles. Now at 230k miles and still as solid as ever .
Great list.
KONI FSD
M5 Swaybar (rear)
Old 01-25-2020, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: E39
Coilovers (it has DINAN springs and yellow koni adjustables)
Wheels/tires
For now.
Iím also going to replace the Vanos oil line with a ss one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2020, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i Touring
E38 front seat seat swap.

Planning to pick up seats later this week and install by the weekend. Should be plug and play given the E38s Iím lining up are post 3/99 production and are heated like mine.

Only bad thing is the E38s going to give me an excuse to spend more money. They are black while my 2003 525i Touring interior is grey...so now Iím going to be on the hunt for black rear seats, carpet, and other interior bits.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwgoo1 View Post
E38 front seat seat swap.

Planning to pick up seats later this week and install by the weekend. Should be plug and play given the E38s Iím lining up are post 3/99 production and are heated like mine.

Only bad thing is the E38s going to give me an excuse to spend more money. They are black while my 2003 525i Touring interior is grey...so now Iím going to be on the hunt for black rear seats, carpet, and other interior bits.

Well, this isnít happening now. Too bad people canít trust othersí word nowadays (or are just plain opportunistic above any other value).

After badgering dude ever since I saw the ad about when he could make himself available for the transaction (and offering to Zelle or PayPal a good faith deposit since Iím not local), we finally settle on a day. Then a few hours later I get a text with the ďI got people interested in this. Itís first come first serveĒ treatment.

Dude never would accept the deposit offer and never would commit to at least holding the goods once I started on my four hour drive there. He acted offended that Iíd even suggest that he would or should. He finally told me he was just going to sell locally.

Pretty sure what happened is he got a lead on selling the entire interior and wanted to reserve the right to let it it go out the door even if I were en route. Screw that.

I hate sleazy Craigslist sellers.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:04 PM
BMW ****ie

Quote:
Well, this isnít happening now. Too bad people canít trust othersí word nowadays (or are just plain opportunistic above any other value).

After badgering dude ever since I saw the ad about when he could make himself available for the transaction (and offering to Zelle or PayPal a good faith deposit since Iím not local), we finally settle on a day. Then a few hours later I get a text with the ďI got people interested in this. Itís first come first serveĒ treatment.

Dude never would accept the deposit offer and never would commit to at least holding the goods once I started on my four hour drive there. He acted offended that Iíd even suggest that he would or should. He finally told me he was just going to sell locally.

Pretty sure what happened is he got a lead on selling the entire interior and wanted to reserve the right to let it it go out the door even if I were en route. Screw that.

I hate sleazy Craigslist sellers.
I feel you. Sorry for your experience.
KONI FSD
M5 Swaybar (rear)
Old 01-27-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemyad View Post
I feel you. Sorry for your experience.

Thanks. Didnít mean to hijack but I had to vent to someone....and these are the type stories where my wife totally gives me the ďdgafĒ looks. Lol!
Old 01-28-2020, 01:14 PM
RIP #9

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Selling it. Anyone want a parts car?
Old 01-28-2020, 03:30 PM

Some great things planned for you guys and your cars!

Just also wanted to give an update on German Audio Tech.... The part is great and works perfectly, which is the most important thing to me and probably anyone else buying an Ebay part...

What is not the greatest thing is the company's communication. I have sent at least 3 emails to them that were never even acknowledged. I still have no clue what they will pay for a core, or if they will buy back at all.

I guess the company stands on their parts quality, and thats fine, but as a business, they are no where near a company like FCP Euro or the like...

If you send them emails, dont expect answers soon or at all....

Last edited by Ultm8drvnmchn; 01-28-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:23 AM

What are You Planning Next for Your E39?

Quote:
Thanks. Didnít mean to hijack but I had to vent to someone....and these are the type stories where my wife totally gives me the ďdgafĒ looks. Lol!

They texted me back Tuesday afternoon saying seats were still available. Clearly (and I later confirmed this with the seller in conversation), the full interior sale fell thru. My pride and stubbornness wanted me to tell them to get bent or to try to squeeze them for a discount just for the principle of it. Glad I didnít...because these seats are ah-mazing!

Re: the Craigslist seller...turns out they seem like decent people. Just pretty clear that they trust no one. Guess maybe it comes with dealing on Craigslist all the time. There are punk buyers out there, too.

Iím still shocked that even in 2001 a 740 would have been made with 16 way driver and passenger side power seats but no heat. A little bit of bummer for these cold morning but Iíll take the trade from my twisted up E39 seats with busted plastics.

Side note..despite all the warnings about getting an airbag light if you donít disconnect battery first...I did not get a light.

Excuse the nasty interior. Between me generally not liking to clean cars, the cold weather making me want to do it even less, and what having little kids in your car every morning will do, itís pretty gross in there!

Last edited by pwgoo1; 01-30-2020 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 525i
Awesome stuff guys.....I worked on replacing the tyre liners (front) on my 2003 525i, some window visors, and oil change. Plans on the agenda is to replace tranny fluid...
Old 02-05-2020, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 01 540i m-sport
My repair list.

Need to do timing chain and guides and rebuild vans. Dead pixels on head unit and speakers maybe new amps.Paint bumpers and trim around windows. Fluids. Need to do brakes new pads, rotors in good shape but will have them resurfaced. The struts , shocks , and springs. Rebalance drive shaft and replace carrier bearing.
It seams like there is always something to do, just refreshed both front and rear suspensions. Would love to shove more air into motor via both larger throttle body and supercharger but thatís a wish .
I drive this car hard and it doesnít complain. I hope a track day wonít piss it off but city streets and highwayís need to be kept safe. If it does come off the rails on the streets, where I end up may not be good. Havenít found a corner yet that at the speed limit could be taken with ease. Will have to check the throttle cables that I donít have , they seem to stick wide open sometimes while on the freeway and by the time they free up I am doing speeds that impress myself .
Sure they are expensive but the driving experience is like no other. Sure there are others that are equal too or better but the E39 540i has my praise. 20 yrs old and still out performs most newer cars
Old 02-06-2020, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 528i
Been having o2 sensor codes for a while now so I ordered two new ones.
Also ordered a windshield washer pump, it stopped working, hope it not the stalk.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search