BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bremerhaven to California (waiting at the port)

73K views 1K replies 108 participants last post by  jmlhmbmw1401 
#1 · (Edited)
Been following the "Bremerhaven to NY" thread for a bit just for kicks, so thought I would start a thread for those of us who are on the west coast waiting for our cars to ship.

My 328i M Sport started "production" on September 16th and finished production on September 24th. According to the 800 number, the car is on its way to the "port of exit" today September 26th.

According to the WW website, their ships to Port Hueneme leave Bremerhaven every two weeks. The next ship (Tortugas) leaves on October 5th arriving at Port Hueneme on October 30th. After that ship, the next ship (Elektra) leaves on October 19th arriving at Port Hueneme on November 13th.

From what I have read, BMW does use carriers other than WW.

#5 ·
My car supposedly finished production today and I'm waiting for it in SoCal. So I'll be following this thread for sure! I also noticed the WW Oct 5 schedule and figured my car would (hopefully) make it on that ship.

#8 ·
The Auriga Leader is a couple hundred miles northwest of the Panama Canal.

The status of my car has changed to "at the port waiting" for a ship. Hoping it makes the Tortugas by next Saturday. The Tortugas has been sitting in Bremerhaven for a few days now. Hopefully, its taking cars as it waits to depart on the 5th.

If anyone knows how to find a schedule online for the NYK line ships leaving Bremerhaven for the US west coast, please let me know.

#11 · (Edited)
According to the 800 number my car is still sitting at the port. However, I was able to obtain a schedule for NYK Lines ships to Port Hueneme.

Other than the Tortugas (WW) which is scheduled to leave Bremerhaven on Oct 5, NYK Lines has/had ships leaving Bremerhaven for Port Hueneme on Sept 26 (Sagittarius Leader), October 11 (Rigel Leader), Oct 24 (Metis Leader) which is a brand new ship.

The Auriga Leader which left Bremerhaven on Sep 14 is making its way through the Panama Canal this morning.

#196 ·
OK. Good to know that I shouldn't be worried that my VIN isn't showing up anywhere. I suppose either way there's not much I can do anyway.

Anyone know which ship we should expect after the Elektra?

(Just checked the WW website and see that Taipan leaves for Port Hueneme on 10/29, but any others?)
JT01 had posted the above earlier in this thread. The Metis Leader leaves 10/24.

#12 ·
Do all California dealers receive vehicles through Port Hueneme or are there ships that come in to Long Beach? I could only find Port Hueneme.

#24 ·
My understanding is that they have a port facility at Bayonne NJ, Brunswick GA and Port Hueneme CA. They were also building one in Baltimore MD which I believe is operative now. Those are the only ones that showed up when I did a web search on the subject a year or so ago...:thumbup:

#15 ·
NYK Lines does have ships that stop at Long Beach from Bremerhaven. Some of the ones I mentioned above stop at Long Beach just before Port Hueneme. However, I believe they only offload BMWs at Port Hueneme. Again, hopefully someone with a bit more experience can confirm this.

#17 ·
I'm waiting to hear from my CA, but I think the 328 I picked up in Munich and dropped off in Zurich 4 weeks ago will be on the next ship to Port Hueneme. That ships name is Tortugas LOL. Toutugas translates to "at a snail's pace" in English. Really? I wish they would put it on a ship named Zippy or Lightspeed. :)

#21 ·
My 428i was produced Aug. 26. Two ships (to my knowledge) have come and gone during the time between production and today.

The car reached the port of exit on Sept. 21 so it sat around somewhere for 26 days between production and reaching the port of exit.

Car awaiting transportation from Bremerhaven to Calif. since Sept. 21.

#25 ·
My 428i was produced Aug. 26. Two ships (to my knowledge) have come and gone during the time between production and today.

The car reached the port of exit on Sept. 21 so it sat around somewhere for 26 days between production and reaching the port of exit.

Car awaiting transportation from Bremerhaven to Calif. since Sept. 21.
My car finished production of 9/26. Today the status changed from 'on it's way to port of exit' to 'at port of exit waiting for shipping vessel.' That's 5 days from end of production to being at port.

I am hoping it will be on the POrt HUeneme bound Tortugas ship that departs Bremerhaven 10/5 and arrives California 10/30. That would mean delivery first week of November I assume which is prefect timing for any possible holiday incentives....

#23 ·
There seems to be little inconsistency in getting cars onto these ships. Production on my car was completed on September 6. About a week later it was loaded onto the Independence II which reached the port in Baltimore this past weekend and should be at my dealer by this weekend. From end of production to dealer (through East coast port) in less than 5 weeks.

#26 ·
At the port waiting for a ship. Hope it gets on the Tortugas, but not holding my breath.

#27 ·
My scheduled completion date is 10/12 out of Regensburg. I'm hoping to catch the Elektra out of Bremerhaven on 10/19, getting into Port Hueneme on 11/13.

#28 ·
anyone know at what point the status will change to include shipping info? Right now, "at port waiting for shipping vessel" but no shipping info. Will they add it once it is on the ship or would they already have it scheduled to be on a vessel at this point? Hoping for the Tortugas 10/5!!

#30 · (Edited)
My understanding is that ED vehicles can be scheduled for specific ships but the cars coming directly from the production line are not. Its a crap shoot. I have read posts on this forum that indicate port waiting times of 3 to 23 days. It also appears its not a FIFO process.

The Tortugas has been docked in Bremerhaven for about a week. I assume it will move to the auto export area tomorrow to get loaded and head out on Saturday.

In regard to shipping info being available, sometimes it takes a couple days after the ship departs for your VIN to show up.

I too am hoping to get my car on that ship.

#34 ·
Kaxon, when did your car finish production and when did it arrive at the port?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.