F31 Sportwagon Cargo Area Dimensions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328d Sportwagon
F31 Sportwagon Cargo Area Dimensions

We will be departing in eleven days for Munich for our ED on the 29th. We will be doing 24 days and 4,500 Miles driving through seven countries before turning in our new 328d Sportwagon on May 22nd.
Question: Would somebody with an F31 Sportwagon be so kind as to do some measurements of the their cargo area, so we can figure out what suitcases we can fit behind the rear seats and under the cargo cover please?
Specifically, I would like the dimension from:
1. 2nd row seat back to the inside of the tailgate.
2. Wheel well housing to wheel well housing.
3. max width aft of wheel well housings.
4. Height from load floor to bottom of cargo cover.
Unfortunately our local dealer does not have a wagon in stock, and has not had one in the last five months since we placed our order. So we couldn't just haul an assortment of bags in to do a test fit.
We would really appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Len
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 14' F31 328xi (ED)
I'll get some measurements when i get home. Have fun on your ED! I picked up my F31 last September in Munich too.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Don't be a left lane hog

Mein Auto: M2
These are the measurements I got:

1. The seat back angles back and the tailgate angles forward so at the floor level I got 38", but at the cover level I only got 29".
2. Wheel wells also have a taper but wider at the top so at the floor I got 37"; at cover, 42".
3. Max width at floor was 49"; at cover, 48". This max width is not that useful as it's only like 10" long maybe enough to cram a backpack or small bag after you've loaded the bigger pieces.
4. 16"

You'll have a great time. I wish I could take off for 24 days . And I wish I could go back and drive around for 4,500 miles. You'll need to fill up a few times so keep in mind to arrive in Luxembourg on empty, it was the cheapest diesel I found in Europe. Also make sure to post compliance pics in the ED forum to ward off bad spirits.
E61 535xi ED Aug 31 2007- ED Report--N. Italy
E90 330i ED June 26 2006- ED Trip Report

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"- George Carlin

Last edited by Asteroid; 04-15-2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xiT
Have a great time! I'll be behind you by about 2 weeks (fly on the 9th for ED on the 13th) - F31 gas.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: '14 F31 328d SportLine
The thing I never realized until the ED was how much extra hardware the wagon has in the back. I was amazed when they showed me the bar thing and the straps and the net that goes up when you have the seats folded down.

I wish I had been able to take some time off but I did my entire ED in around 72 hours. Now, if only the car will finally show up at the dealer. Got an email on Sunday they were expecting the car 4/15. Still no peep from them though.

You will have lots of fun!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
These are the measurements I got:

1. The seat back angles back and the tailgate angles forward so at the floor level I got 38", but at the cover level I only got 29".
2. Wheel wells also have to taper so at the floor I got 37"; at cover, 42".
3. Max width at floor was 49" at floor; at cover, 48". This max width is not that useful as it's only like 10" long maybe enough to cram a backpack or small bag after you've loaded the bigger pieces.
4. 16"

You'll have a great time. I wish I could take off for 24 days . And I wish I could go back and drive around for 4,500 miles. You'll need to fill up a few times so keep in mind to arrive in Luxembourg on empty, it was the cheapest diesel I found in Europe. Also make sure to post compliance pics in the ED forum to ward of bad spirits.
Thanks a lot for doing the measurements, that is exactly what I needed. I now have ten days to build a cargo compartment replica, and then try out every possible combination of bags we have. Actually I think I will just modify the cargo area of our current E61 Wagon with masking tape and cardboard, and then put all our bags in.

We will not be going to Luxemourg. We will be going down into Italy first (wanted to do the Stelvio Pass, but it is snowed in until at least the end of May). A night in Milan and then down the French Riviera to just beyond Cannes. The next day a liesurely drive up the coast and then to Florence for six nights. Next will be a couple nights in Venice, three nights in Budapest, two nights in Prague with a stop in Cesky Krumlov on the way. On to Berlin (where I lived for six years), for two nights and then on to my wife's sister's, just South of Hanover, for three nights and then back to Munich. Will turn in the car and fly home on the 22nd of May. Will then wait the ten weeks for re-delivery at the Performance Center around the end of August.

By the time we get the car back home to Oregon it will have about 7,000 miles on it. In other words just broken in.

Thanks again for the measurements, that is the great thing about "festers", just ask and someone steps up to help.

I promise to post lots of photos in the ED section of the forumn as we go.

Last edited by expilot; 04-15-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 14' F31 328xi (ED)

A: Height from load floor to bottom of cargo cover 15"

B: Wheel well housing to wheel well housing (closer to 2nd row seat) 36"

C: Wheel well housing to wheel well housing (closer to tailgate) 38"

D: Depth of left wheel well housing 19"

E: Depth of right wheel well housing 21"

F: From bottom of cargo cover to the inside of the tailgate (right at the point before the tailgate starts to incline) 28"

G: Bottom of 2nd row seat back to the inside of the tailgate 38"

Under the cargo floor storage that may be useful. The divider seen in the picture is just a styrofoam and can be removed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45-2014-bmw-3-series-sports-wagon-fd.jpg
Views:	70003
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	434011   Click image for larger version

Name:	48-2014-bmw-3-series-sports-wagon-fd.jpg
Views:	6493
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	434012  
Old 04-15-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktula View Post

A: Height from load floor to bottom of cargo cover 15"

B: Wheel well housing to wheel well housing (closer to 2nd row seat) 36"

C: Wheel well housing to wheel well housing (closer to tailgate) 38"

D: Depth of left wheel well housing 19"

E: Depth of right wheel well housing 21"

F: From bottom of cargo cover to the inside of the tailgate (right at the point before the tailgate starts to incline) 28"

G: Bottom of 2nd row seat back to the inside of the tailgate 38"

Under the cargo floor storage that may be useful. The divider seen in the picture is just a styrofoam and can be removed.

Fantastic Photos. A huge thanks to you and Asteroid for your quick answers.
You guys are the greatest

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search