BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X6 ActiveHybrid

29K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  Mannie BMW i6 
#1 ·
What are your thoughts on the Hybrid X6? I have found a certified model for sale and I love everything about the vehicle after researching it, however on a BMW the simpler the vehicle is the better off it will be in the long run and this thing is far from simple. With the certification can it be trusted? I want to add maintenance to it, but I'm guessing the maintenance extension costs will be a bit more than what a normal X6 would be? I have done a search and read about what different people had said, but they were fairly old posts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
x6 hybrid

Dear BMW lover, walk away from that car as fast as you can. I had one fully loaded, it stayed in the shop for months. I finally, with help forced BMW to replace that car with a X6 5.0 with all of the fully loaded toys. You do not understand they do not warranty the battery and the computer soft ware has lots of problems. I may be mistaken but do not think you can even order x6 hybrid anymore! IT really left a bad impression on me! Sorry to be so negative on this car. :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

#3 ·
Dear BMW lover, walk away from that car as fast as you can. I had one fully loaded, it stayed in the shop for months. I finally, with help forced BMW to replace that car with a X6 5.0 with all of the fully loaded toys. You do not understand they do not warranty the battery and the computer soft ware has lots of problems. I may be mistaken but do not think you can even order x6 hybrid anymore! IT really left a bad impression on me! Sorry to be so negative on this car. :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:
No wonder, a BMW broker here has both X6 Hybrid and X6 5.0i similarly options and mileage, the latter has $5k more asking price. I believe the hybrid has same engine as 5.0i and supposedly better 0-60 and more mpg but lower cost used, ehm....

#4 ·
x 6 hybrid

I would take the x 5.0 and get the additional warranty and service contract! If you drive as much I as do 15,000 yr, you will easily use the cost on the additional service and warranty. Make sure it is the BMW warranty! Good luck! They should be able to give the service records on those cars. I think BMW charge 175.00 for inspection etc.

#5 ·
California Emissions Warranty coverage

I've gained lots of knowledge through the forums so I thought I would give back a little :). I've recently bought a used BMW X6 ActiveHybrid and its a pretty sweet ride! As with most people in this forum, I had concerns about whether I would keep the car when the 4/50k warranty expired or get additional extended warranty. My car was originally registered in California (I live in WA) so I ended up contacting BMWNA to see if they would honor California Emissions Warranty. Below is what I got back from BMWNA.

"We thank you for your patience as we researched your inquiry.

The California emissions warranty applies to all vehicles that were sold in California, regardless of where the vehicle has been relocated."

It covers hybrid parts including HV battery, head cover gasket, HPFP, turbo charger, VANOS, ECU etc, 7/70k; pretty much most of the expensive parts.

#6 ·
I've gained lots of knowledge through the forums so I thought I would give back a little :). I've recently bought a used BMW X6 ActiveHybrid and its a pretty sweet ride! As with most people in this forum, I had concerns about whether I would keep the car when the 4/50k warranty expired or get additional extended warranty. My car was originally registered in California (I live in WA) so I ended up contacting BMWNA to see if they would honor California Emissions Warranty. Below is what I got back from BMWNA.

"We thank you for your patience as we researched your inquiry.

The California emissions warranty applies to all vehicles that were sold in California, regardless of where the vehicle has been relocated."

It covers hybrid parts including HV battery, head cover gasket, HPFP, turbo charger, VANOS, ECU etc, 7/70k; pretty much most of the expensive parts.
I believe thats' typical BMW original waranty, 7/70k on big items. For you it's good to have 7-yr waranty on battery those Li-Ion cells are rather temperamental.

#7 ·
X6 Active Hybrid LOVE it!

I actually believe this vehicle to be one of BMW's best models. I absolutely love it!!

I admit it has a couple software bugs but for the most part you use it with an idea of what goes into that, the appreciation and common sense, then you will find it is a perfect car at everything it does. Able to live in extreme worlds and do them precisely. Few vehicles can match that. This vehicle is for the smarter people. If you have no idea of what is there, then you won't be able to appreciate its innovation and end up creating your own issues.

this car is ahead of its time.

Best car I have ever owned, could not ask for anything more in a vehicle.

Oh and it will easily run 27.1 mpg on a tank and can sometimes run about 34mpg over half a tank.

#14 ·
I actually believe this vehicle to be one of BMW's best models. I absolutely love it!!

I admit it has a couple software bugs but for the most part you use it with an idea of what goes into that, the appreciation and common sense, then you will find it is a perfect car at everything it does. Able to live in extreme worlds and do them precisely. Few vehicles can match that. This vehicle is for the smarter people. If you have no idea of what is there, then you won't be able to appreciate its innovation and end up creating your own issues.

this car is ahead of its time.

Best car I have ever owned, could not ask for anything more in a vehicle.

Oh and it will easily run 27.1 mpg on a tank and can sometimes run about 34mpg over half a tank.
Hi Eric,

Can you please elaborate on the do's and don'ts regarding proper use and understanding of the hybrid. I wanted to know how to make one last and what to avoid to keep it running.

Thanks!

#8 ·
Long term x6 activehybrid reliability

My first post here:
I see quite a few 2010 X6 hybrids being listed for around $40K and 45-60K KMs on them, but the reviews are alarmingly bad.
Pease confirm that the hybrid and 50i are both models to stay away from?
Also is xDrive 35i a good reliable vehicle?
Thanks!

#9 ·
X6 Hybrid

I am responding to your thread.

As an owner of the X6 hybrid I will tell you that version of the vehicle is far superior to any other version. People threads are incorrect. The configuration of the hybrid is highly intelligent and requires it's owner to also be to understand its finesse. If you are not that type of person unaware th stick with other versions, but my x6 hybrid is the best bmw and vehicle in general I have ever owned. Sure you have to appreciate it for it to be good to you as driving it is a shade of grey and not a black and white foot.

It's a machine and I beast. I actually think it is faster than the M version of same year. It's awesome to be so powerful then pull off the freeway and cruise in electric only mode. Plus you can get 27.1 mpg hwy with it and avg 22 city if you know how to drive with attention to it. If you are just a lead foot of stop and go this is not a vehicle for you and should get a mustang or something dumb like that. But if you are a finer more precision minded person, there is no more of an Awesome version of the X6. At 40k it's a steal. It's so fast, n no parasitic alternator or fan belts or starter on the engine, super cool.

#34 ·
Hows your BMW Hx6 today?
y
I am responding to your thread.

As an owner of the X6 hybrid I will tell you that version of the vehicle is far superior to any other version. People threads are incorrect. The configuration of the hybrid is highly intelligent and requires it's owner to also be to understand its finesse. If you are not that type of person unaware th stick with other versions, but my x6 hybrid is the best bmw and vehicle in general I have ever owned. Sure you have to appreciate it for it to be good to you as driving it is a shade of grey and not a black and white foot.

It's a machine and I beast. I actually think it is faster than the M version of same year. It's awesome to be so powerful then pull off the freeway and cruise in electric only mode. Plus you can get 27.1 mpg hwy with it and avg 22 city if you know how to drive with attention to it. If you are just a lead foot of stop and go this is not a vehicle for you and should get a mustang or something dumb like that. But if you are a finer more precision minded person, there is no more of an Awesome version of the X6. At 40k it's a steal. It's so fast, n no parasitic alternator or fan belts or starter on the engine, super cool.

#10 · (Edited)
thank you for the response - appreciate the insight!
can you please elaborate on what you mean exactly by the level of understanding and finesse you say is required? How long have you owned your 2010 Hybrid?

I drove camry hybrid for years and loved how seamless and smooth the operation of the hybrid was in that car!
But it seems that Toyota/Lexus might be the only one who really nailed it since aside of your comments that are highly positive there are many negative comments on hybrid failure etc?
Also isn't the V8 engine the same N63 engine that had so many recalls and issues?

#11 ·
Activehybrid

Your welcome.

This is my suggestions to you.

The BMW X6 ActiveHybrid and X6 in general is a very sophisticated car.

If the comparison is going to me made to a camery, hybrid or not then the X6 is not the car for you I think.

They drive train hybrid setup is more performance oreintated than a camery. Camery makes it easy and unoticable but it's not doing much.

The x6 is more of a speciality car and it's good to have an understanding and appreciation of what it is. Otherwise you will be disappointed and happier with your camery.

Not much more I can say. You have to want that vehicle for your self and understand it to have it work for you. But if like a camery then it is not or will not work for you.

Don't read forums I suggest to base a decision. People generally only write to complain n not praise.

I am not sure you want this car for you. A camery or prius might be better to your tastes.

#12 ·
N63

Is a good engine. It is fine. There are some updates that can occur with any motor.

I think you are too concerned about recalls or non concerning items.

You have to know it's the vehicle for you. If not then it's not the car to buy. It's a very sophisticated vehicle and blows away everything you could even think about.

It's the best car I have ever owned. But it's not an every day man's car or camery. If they like those cars they are not ready for a BMW

#13 ·
camry was my ex's car and it's gotten totaled recently so it's history LOL
my car is FX45, hence X6 looks appealing
I'm sure the car is fantastic when it drives - we drove several xDrive35is and they felt good (not exceptional since FX can keep up with them, but solid), but ActiveHybrid is @ a different complexity level!
the concern I have is around overall reliability and specifically the battery - Lexus/Toyota have 8 year warranty on these, and ex had her's replaced on camry
my understanding is BMW would not cover these even with the extended warranty, and it's an expensive component to be left hanging?!
speaking of which - it's installed low behind the rear wheels - not the best place to hide the battery anyway
realizing ppl mostly complain than praise on forums you Never see people complaining about Toyota/Lexus standing behind their vehicles which the same can't be said re BMW hence the concern

#16 ·
My X6 ActiveHybrid consume a lot of oil

Dear BMW's friends,
I'd like to exchange the experiences with you regarding to my X6 ActiveHybrid it consume a lot of oil. 1 quarter can run less than 1,000 miles but dealer told me that it normal consuming because hybrid system consume a lot of oil and use in multiple purposes. One more problem the hybrid battery when it full charged with 4 level can run not to far than 1 mile. I'd be appreciated if you could share your experience about these.

#17 ·
X6 Hybrid

Hello, in response to your experience:

- Your hybrid is okay.

- Be sure you have had the campaign upgrades done by bmw on the engine. Replaced the injectors.

- Sometimes the engine can go through about a quart of oil in between a change. It is okay. And it will also stop and soon not burn any oil. Just keep changing it every couple thousand for 3 times to help it clean out. Sometimes the engine goes through a clearing or clean burn cycle.

- Regarding your battery. It is healthy. Sometimes the charge cycle is not as fully charged as it voltage output. This happens when over time vehicle doing a lot of quick charges. Try a few times to give the battery a very long charge and run the vehicle in manual mode for a few trips keeping the hybrid system off. The battery has just sat a little too much and needs to be exercised again. It will regain it's full ability under continued stable use. You will soon be able to run 2 miles and maybe 2.5m on it. Also note: extreme cold will shorten the run, and if it's really cold the system will keep it off most of the time from pure electric running. This is also true for extreme heat. In Temps above 100 like say nevada you will find less batt capacity. And in general note that the AC system in use does take quite a bit of juice.

- the experiences you are having are just the settling with the car, you are learning it's method of use and after you go through a few cycles with it, oil changes, regular battery use and predictable driving habits ( the car learns you over a period of about 5k miles) the system will become and feel dialed in to you.

- On you next oil change, have them check the Aux water pumps, thermostat and the throttle bodies to make sure they are producing no faults. This is just preventative. And make sure you have the campaign done with new upgraded injectors. Have the two twelve volt batteries in back checked. They should be fine but if they are performing low they will put more load on hybrid batteries. Also possibly have at next oil change bmw reset the computer driving profile so it can learn you fresh deleting the previous owner drive habits. If after 3 more frequent oil changes you still burn oil regulary then you need new spark plugs. If you have about 60k you will need to change them anyway. Also in extreme hot Temps you are more likely to burn a little. But your vehcile is just cycling.

- a good driving habit. The vehicle is a good cruiser. Run it light see if you can hot 9 or 8 liters on Hwy, keep rpms under or around 2k. This is a minmal wear driving habit and good for system. You will begin to see battery staying a very high charge and supplimenting the drive a bit. Perfect. Then from time to time stretch the vehicles legs a bit and punch it for ten seconds to clear out deposits etc. Do that maybe every so often but not all the time.

- your good. Just stick with it and it will begin to line in with you.

#19 ·
Agreed. Alternate the use a little, keep it balanced.

Mine has been running fabulously. In ideal conditions the battery achieves much more than 1.6m. I can sometimes get it above 2.5m
but when its cold out or too hot out, or even the humidity is not conducive it is just the 1.6m
Good news, I think BMW published the "least" specs on that vehicle. Because as well, it can manage 26 - 28mpg and always gets 22 - 24 mpg much more than the 17-19mpg.
The more I drive it, the more seem less it seems, I sometimes find my self not noticing it is in electric mode and that is pretty cool. Though I actively love to have it in electric mode for the slow urban.

FYI: you can charge the battery without driving by putting the shift lever into manual mode keeping the engine on and turn on the auto hold or park. That is one way to do it at idle. But I actually think that its not often that you need to charge up the battery to top it off. The system keeps it pretty balanced. But good to do sometimes I suspect.

Keep taking care of your X6 Hybrid! Its a beautiful machine. my favorite BMW I have ever had.

#20 ·
My last up date regarding to my X6 Activehybrid car, it consum engine oil 1 quarter only for 863 miles, is it normal or too high? Another question concerning to the tire, which one is correct between 275/40 R20 and 255/50 R19, my X6 Activehybrid use 255/50 R19. I'm confusing because some one said the correct tire is 275/40 R20. I'd be highly appreciated if someone could share your experiences with me. Thank you friends.

#21 ·
Hello,

Your X6 Hybrid most likely has not consumed 1 quarter of oil. Pressure and temperature variations. And sometimes if you notice the oil level changing alot, you should have the oil change done agian. As I mentioned before, the engine can go through periods of cleaning, or burn of, it can run a bit hot, performs harder with the turbos and so you will find this flucation. If the oil metter is green but looks low it is still full, just pressure vesocity change, if it is yellow and lower, just means its getting time to change the oil.

The correct size of tire depends on which size rim you have. Do you have 19 inch rims or do you have 20 inch rims. The sizes you have listed are correct for the size of rim.

Take care of the care. Its more sophisticated than an average car and performs much better.

If not, keep me updated and I may buy it from you.

#23 ·
Your not going to be able to find a non OEM battery for that vehicle, nor do you want to.

The stock battery will last beyond the life of the car. Or if you want to replace it for any reason, you will need to order it from BMW directly. That car must stay OEM. Otherwise, don't purchase it.

#24 ·
Great discussion

Thanks Eric. My first choice would be to buy the battery from BMW, but with a cost of $10,700 for the battery I wanted to know my options. I read so many stories of customers paying thousands of dollars for hybrid batteries, and it concerned me a bit.

Not saying that anything would happen, but one never knows what may happen.

One thing I was wondering about. Can this BMW be driven on gas if the hybrid battery goes out?

#25 ·
I understand that thought before you purchase. But rest assured. A few worthy points to note:

- at 10,700 cost of OEM BMW battery replacement is a steal. That's cheaper than a prius.

- I plan to keep mine for a long time and have planned as well to simply purchase an extra new BMW battery to just have on stock if I ever needed it in twenty years.

- It would not be worth it to risk a non OEM battery in that vehicle, likely to bust the whole system and cause major damage.

- A very good thing about the system employed is that this is a NiCad battery system. It's top end, like the systems used in Boeing and Airbush planes. Highly robust, very long life. It why also it can charge so quickly like a capacitor system. This pack has a charge cycle of about a hundred X more than any LiPO pack. This pack thus can easily last twenty to thirty years as it behaviors more like a highvoltage capacitor.

- You NEVER want to work on it your self or try to replace it your self or with a third party, could kill your self and the car. This is 300 volts of instant current, more than your household, and can easilly electricut you if you fuss with it unknowingly and without proper procedure, OEM parts and correct tools. This vehicle you must commit to dealer servicing period.

- There are only 600 of these in the states. Only buy it if you plan to take care of it and keep it OEM. It's a fabulous vehicle to drive.

- Yes, it can always run on gas alone. If battery goes all that happens is hybrid mode is reduced or not used. It would warn you too. But I have never heard of one battery problem on this vehicle yet, so far as I know they are all still original first battery. And BMW put way more than 10k dev into that battery.

- it is a sophisticated car. It should last longer than an typical car. But you must take care of it. Plan a few K a year in maintaining maintenance care.

- It was ahead of its time like most BMW's are. The new Volvo XC90 SUV mimcs this system but still not as well.

- Enjoy. Mine had 11k on it only till just this last year and now has 45k just because I love driving it and had recently grown tired of the airport.

#31 ·
Oil Consumtion

I understand that thought before you purchase. But rest assured. A few worthy points to note:

- at 10,700 cost of OEM BMW battery replacement is a steal. That's cheaper than a prius.

- I plan to keep mine for a long time and have planned as well to simply purchase an extra new BMW battery to just have on stock if I ever needed it in twenty years.

- It would not be worth it to risk a non OEM battery in that vehicle, likely to bust the whole system and cause major damage.

- A very good thing about the system employed is that this is a NiCad battery system. It's top end, like the systems used in Boeing and Airbush planes. Highly robust, very long life. It why also it can charge so quickly like a capacitor system. This pack has a charge cycle of about a hundred X more than any LiPO pack. This pack thus can easily last twenty to thirty years as it behaviors more like a highvoltage capacitor.

- You NEVER want to work on it your self or try to replace it your self or with a third party, could kill your self and the car. This is 300 volts of instant current, more than your household, and can easilly electricut you if you fuss with it unknowingly and without proper procedure, OEM parts and correct tools. This vehicle you must commit to dealer servicing period.

- There are only 600 of these in the states. Only buy it if you plan to take care of it and keep it OEM. It's a fabulous vehicle to drive.

- Yes, it can always run on gas alone. If battery goes all that happens is hybrid mode is reduced or not used. It would warn you too. But I have never heard of one battery problem on this vehicle yet, so far as I know they are all still original first battery. And BMW put way more than 10k dev into that battery.

- it is a sophisticated car. It should last longer than an typical car. But you must take care of it. Plan a few K a year in maintaining maintenance care.

- It was ahead of its time like most BMW's are. The new Volvo XC90 SUV mimcs this system but still not as well.

- Enjoy. Mine had 11k on it only till just this last year and now has 45k just because I love driving it and had recently grown tired of the airport.
Eric does your burn oil? My X6 has about 89K on it and has been fabulous; however, I still must putoil in it when it ask for oil which is likely with in a month. Only one quart.

#26 · (Edited)
I just bought a used 2010 x6 with the Activehybrid. The engine light came on so I plugged a reader to it and the message reads as follows "hybrid / ev battery cooling system chiller performance" please help as some of these reviews are making me nervous. This is my dream car and I don't want anything else.

#27 ·
Hello,

Congratulations on the purchase. Best vehicle ever made.

That said, you need to just take your X6 into the BMW dealer service so that they can properly diagnosis and fix your check engine light.

There is no sense in even talking about what you found as you do not have the proper tools or equipment to asses it. Don not work on that car your self, only damage will occur.

You just need service to check it all out and look for topical component issues that trigger or cascade errors codes. Check throttle bodies, water pumps etc. Make sure all service campaings are done. Have the cooling system flushed, thermostate checked. AND DO ALL OF THIS AT BMW SERVICE. I'll say nothing more. DONT WORK ON IT YOURSELF, YOU WILL MESS IT UP MORE.

#28 ·
Thank you for your reply. I live in a remote town and just wanted to know if the car was still drivable. That's the only reason I checked what the reading was. I intend very much to bring it to BMW, I just wanted to know that it would make the 8 hour journey. Thanks once again as you have answered many questions I had on other people's posts.

#29 ·
I don't mean to be blunt, but to make point that you have a specialty car, and it requires sophistication in all things. Thus, it is no use to worry about what your code generator says, it's most likely incorrect of the true fault that is occurring.

You just got this vehicle, so what you need to do it take in for total update servicing. You don't know it's history or how long it's been sitting without updates.

Things to have done, and it will I suggest planning to put 5k into it.

Oil, check and replace any faulty water pumps as there are 4, air filters there are also 4, spark plugs, check and replace thermostate, flush entire cooling system including battery cooling system, make sure any BMW campaigns have been done for updates, check hybrid module and or replace, check throttle bodies abd replace if needed.

When I got mine, I did all these things. I had a check engine light and a cooling warning on start up. It was throttle body faulting and took a while to find. I have replaced a watew pump twice. But now all is perfect. Just have to take car of this vehicle and it will do you well. Also have bmw run it through the injector cleaner fuel service too, not additive you buy b UT have them un hook vehicle fuel system and run it on thier cleaner system.

Take car of this car. It's amazing. And always maintain it with bmw service.

#30 ·
My BMW X6 2010 Wouldn't Crank

I am an Aerospace Engineer and sometimes work on Ground vehicles.
My X6 has refused to crank. At first, i noticed misfiring while driving. I had checked the spark plugs and coils and the CAT. Till this time, it has refused to come up. Not even cranking, I need suggestions please.
1. Could the battery be responsible
2. If its the battery, can it be jump start
3. If the battery is bad, how can it be tested and where can i get a new one
4. Can it run without battery as i would probably love to run it on gas only

Thank u

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.