Mod Questions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M4 Convertible
Mod Questions

Hey y'all, recently picked up a 2015 M4 that is bone stock and am considering some mods for the near future.

I would love any thoughts, suggestions, or warnings that I should know before proceeding. Stock the car is pretty dang quick, but the thirst for more power almost always gets the better of me, so the first power mod I'm considering is a JB4. I've read a lot of great things about them and they seem to remain pretty reliable afterward. For those that went that route, what sort of power gain did you see? With the added boost would I need a new intercooler or will the stock one suffice? Is heat soak an issue afterward?

I like the fact that I can have a nice quiet car when I want it, but a little growl when I want it too so I think I plan to keep the stock exhaust. If it helps performance

As for aesthetics, right now just thinking carbon front lip, side skirts, mirrors, rear diffuser, and lip spoiler.

Again, I'd appreciate your thoughts and insight!
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 08:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F25 x28 n20 tunerwerks
I am on Dinan Stage 1. went to the track recently and did not see temps go past the half way point. Maybe I'm not driving hard enough!
Old 09-25-2019, 09:14 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
My instructor told me, "If you ain't spinning then you ain't trying!"
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: Tardis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralSpeed View Post
Hey y'all, recently picked up a 2015 M4 that is bone stock and am considering some mods for the near future.

I would love any thoughts, suggestions, or warnings that I should know before proceeding. Stock the car is pretty dang quick, but the thirst for more power almost always gets the better of me, so the first power mod I'm considering is a JB4. I've read a lot of great things about them and they seem to remain pretty reliable afterward. For those that went that route, what sort of power gain did you see? With the added boost would I need a new intercooler or will the stock one suffice? Is heat soak an issue afterward?

I like the fact that I can have a nice quiet car when I want it, but a little growl when I want it too so I think I plan to keep the stock exhaust. If it helps performance

As for aesthetics, right now just thinking carbon front lip, side skirts, mirrors, rear diffuser, and lip spoiler.

Again, I'd appreciate your thoughts and insight!
First thing I would do is get it wrapped in a proper PPF, but being that it's a 2015, that may be a moot point.

Secondly, Get an Oil Cooler Guard - "Fall Line Motorsports" ("Ind") or "Turner".

Unless you're going for a dedicated Track Car (Pads, Tires, etc.), the stock TMIC is more than sufficient.

If you do want a tune, consider "BM3" (Flash) over a piggyback.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dr. Who; 09-25-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker838 View Post
I am on Dinan Stage 1. went to the track recently and did not see temps go past the half way point. Maybe I'm not driving hard enough!
Good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Lol, I can't disagree with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
First thing I would do is get it wrapped in a proper PPF, but being that it's a 2015, that may be a moot point.

Secondly, Get an Oil Cooler Guard - "Fall Line Motorsports" ("Ind") or "Turner".

Unless you're going for a dedicated Track Car (Pads, Tires, etc.), the stock TMIC is more than sufficient.

If you do want a tune, consider "BM3" (Flash) over a piggyback.

Cheers!

Nope, just beefing up the DD a bit. I had bad heat soak in a previous turbo car which is why I asked, but that's what I thought.

Why does it being a 2015 make the PPF a moot point, just too old to matter at this point? Is the paint a concern for this gen?

Thanks for the info
Old 09-25-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post

In all seriousness to OP, what use case would warrant upgraded cooling? He did not say he plans to track / auto cross / dragstrip.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker838 View Post

In all seriousness to OP, what use case would warrant upgraded cooling? He did not say he plans to track / auto cross / dragstrip.
It will see occasional drag/track time, just not every weekend. From what I've read and from driving the car for about a bit now I don't think an upgraded TMIC will be needed. Just wanted some advice from those with more experience with this car than I have.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: Tardis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralSpeed View Post
Good to know, thanks!

Lol, I can't disagree with that

Nope, just beefing up the DD a bit. I had bad heat soak in a previous turbo car which is why I asked, but that's what I thought.

Why does it being a 2015 make the PPF a moot point, just too old to matter at this point? Is the paint a concern for this gen?

Thanks for the info
Didn't mean it to sound off or rude but, ideally the purpose of PPF is better served when the car is new. Swirl marks and scratches
are easily acquired by badly sourced rags/towels alone. Since the paint has had at least 4 years of exposure, it probably already
has plenty.

On the other hand, if you do want to protect (PPF) it going forward, get it properly prepped - polished/paint corrected beforehand.

Critical:

* Hood (whole)
* Front Bumper
* Rocker Panels (? - below doors)
* Rear (fenders) Quarter Panels

The latter two will receive the most punishment during Track Days.

Cheers!

Old 09-26-2019, 08:20 AM

I did PPF at 10,000km covering full hood, bumper, A pillar, mirrors, rear quarter panel (expanded the factory protection) and rear rocker. I was not the original owner of the car and the previous owner took it across Ontario regularly in its first year to what I would expect to be in a semi rural area. Fender was already sandblasted and there were chips up front.

The company I went with tried to touch up as much as possible and put film over the rest.. some are masked away, but some are still visible. No getting around that without a repaint.

OP - mod your car to your tastes. I know this platform attracts a lot of power hungry folks chasing after 600++ but realistically.. most of them are doing it for show.

Oh - and M Performance Exhaust is a must.. especially if your neighbors don't mind the noise

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search