2009 328i Xdrive Misfire Cylinder #1 & #5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-02-2018, 01:19 AM

Mein Auto:
2009 328i Xdrive Misfire Cylinder #1 & #5

Hello,

On my way home my car started shaking and sputtering. I was able to get it diagnosed. Had a Cylinder misfire in #1 and 5#.
I replaced all my spark plugs with Bosch double plat and coil packs #1 and #5.
I noticed a little oil leaked into cylinder #3, I removed all the oil but some residue. I started up the car and it ran like normal.
Later I drove it to work and it almost started sounding like it was going to misfire again. As I start my car up leaving work. It started misfiring again.

Going to run Diagnostics tomorrow. Has anyone had problems like this or know of a solution? I'll get back here if a different Diagnostic comes up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2018, 04:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 M3
If you have oil leaking into any of the spark plug holes will cause misfires. Need to replace the valve cover gasket thatís why thereís oil in the holes. Youíre gonna have issues until that is fixed. If the gasket is hard and difficult to remove use a heat gun and go around the gasket to heat it up and it will come off easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009328IX View Post
On my way home my car started shaking and sputtering. I was able to get it diagnosed. Had a Cylinder misfire in #1 and 5#. I replaced all my spark plugs with Bosch double plat and coil packs #1 and #5... I started up the car and it ran like normal. Later I drove it to work and it almost started sounding like it was going to misfire again. As I start my car up leaving work. It started misfiring again.
HOW was the diagnosis of "Cylinder misfire in #1 & #5" made -- what codes and what Freeze Frame Data? Did any warning light (SES) appear, and did it STAY ON or did it go OFF after ~ one minute with return of normal operation?

You say that the first time (on your way home) "the car started shaking and sputtering" -- how long did that last, and was the SES light on?

Same for the second occurrence after plug change -- 1) what were the engine performance symptoms, 2) how long did the symptoms last, 3) and did the SES light & for how long?

"Misfire" faults are often intermittent or transient, as opposed to a permanent, continuing fault, so knowing the engine conditions (temp, load, RPM, etc.) when the fault occurred is important (Freeze Frame Data). Also, "misfire" due to ignition issues can cause injector shutdown on one or more cylinders to prevent unburned fuel from being dumped into the Cat and damaging it. There are codes for such occurrences, and normal operation of the injector can return in some instances.

Did you check the gap on the old plugs you removed, and how large were the gaps?
Did you check the gap on the new plugs you installed (should have been pre-gapped @ .040")?
Did you check to see what brand & part# the old coils were?
Did you install the same brand & part# on plugs #1 & #5?
Did you carefully check the coil connectors to make sure that the metal pin sockets had NOT been damaged or pushed away from the pins due to prior improper installation?
Did you put dielectric grease on the plugs to facilitate proper seating of the plug boot on the plug?
WHAT code(s) are you getting NOW?

Be aware that ANYTHING that causes one cylinder to develop less power than the cylinders before/after it in the firing order will trigger a "misfire" code. That is NOT an electrical test of the plugs, coils or their wiring, but rather a test of engine speed via the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) that allows the DME to compute momentary slowing/speeding of crankshaft RPM on each cylinder's "power stroke."

So improper injector function can also result in "misfire" codes, as can any wiring fault that causes a plug or injector to malfunction. Each coil has a battery voltage supply (Orange wire), a ground (Brown wire), and a trigger wire from the DME. Here is the wiring diagram for the 2009 328xi E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nition/vBlJ2fy

Each injector also has a battery voltage supply (Orange wire) and a trigger feed (varied pulse duration) ground supplied by the DME per this TIS diagram:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ection/vQegKNb

So ANY wiring fault, or connector issue, in either system can cause a "misfire."

Please let us know what you find,
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2018, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto:
Hey George,

No to most of your questions. I'll do all of that tomorrow when I have time. I'll take a through look around to see if I have any tear.
Spark Plugs were pre gaped. I purchased ones that did fit for my car.
The codes i'm getting now are p0300 p301 p0303 p0305. The oil leak was very minimum, I think it may have been from my last oil change. I didn't look and lift up my cone a lil early and dripped an amount up top that may have flown down. I thought I wiped it fast enough but was wrong. I'll check Cylinder 3 again tomorrow also. I'll also swap coils with 3 to see if it moves on the next test.
I called BMW and the guy told me its probably a fault in sensors or fuel bracket/injectors.

I'll figure this out again tomorrow. Tired need sleep.

Thanks for the help so far guys!
Thanks for the Diagram also!

Last edited by 2009328IX; 11-02-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto:
Update on Codes

I have codes P0300 P0301 P3003 P0305
Old 11-04-2018, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto:
Update

1. Double checked Coils, Good (noticed 5 was not completely plugs in, Plug in now)
2. Checked Vac lines and air hoses. (Good)
3. Replaced Air Filter
4. Checked Camshaft Position Sensor. (Dirty, Cleaned off)
5. Checked Pulse on fuel injectors(Good)

Then turned on the car to check it out. No engine check light on I noticed!!!!
Drove around and so far so good. I'll replace the Camshaft Sensor here next weekend and get my fuel filter replaced also.

All these little things it could have been. I'll repost if i find other things wrong

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
328ix, coil pack, fuel injectors, misfire

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search