Idrive software update fixed error codes? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-02-2019, 11:22 AM
germans germans is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 174
Mein Auto:
Idrive software update fixed error codes?

My GF just got a 2012 BMW 335I with 45000 miles on it.

I got out my code reader and started checking for codes and saw some of the following:

801206 Blower output stage: Undervoltage or overvoltage detected
801A55 DWA: The alarm has been activated
CD0487 ZGM: Sycronisation process for FlexRay failed

She hasn't added anything aftermarket to the car like stereos or anything and all I did was clear the codes and update the BMW iDrive software to the latest. Now I get no error codes. Is it possible that the BMW iDrive software fixed the issues? I thought the update was only for the interface software for the screen.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-02-2019, 12:41 PM
dzlbimmer dzlbimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 751
Mein Auto: Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by germans View Post
My GF just got a 2012 BMW 335I with 45000 miles on it.

I got out my code reader and started checking for codes and saw some of the following:

801206 Blower output stage: Undervoltage or overvoltage detected
801A55 DWA: The alarm has been activated
CD0487 ZGM: Sycronisation process for FlexRay failed

She hasn't added anything aftermarket to the car like stereos or anything and all I did was clear the codes and update the BMW iDrive software to the latest. Now I get no error codes. Is it possible that the BMW iDrive software fixed the issues? I thought the update was only for the interface software for the screen.
Software did not fix any of that. They are just Intermittent failures.
Just keep scanning it every couple weeks and see what comes back and at what frequency.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-02-2019, 09:52 PM
CoolShirtDude CoolShirtDude is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 284
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 2.8i F25 N52
How old is the battery? Since you have a 2012, that would be one of the first things I would check.

Also ground cables, are another area the is troublesome on BMWs, these cars tend to have random codes when voltage is out of spec.

You can use realoem.com and newtis.info to locate the grounds as well as part numbers.



2011 BMW X3 F25 N52
2015 BMW 328i F30 N20
__________________
2011 BMW X3 2.8i (F25) N52
2015 BMW 328i (F30) N20
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Zeichen311's Avatar
Zeichen311 Zeichen311 is offline
Lost but making good time
Location: Here, there, or in transit
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,213
Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by germans View Post
... all I did was clear the codes and update the BMW iDrive software to the latest. Now I get no error codes.
Sooo...you cleared the fault memory and now you are puzzled as to why there are no faults?

(Sorry, I could not resist.)

As already stated, it just means they were intermittent or non-recurring events. The fault memory includes the latest mileage at which each fault code was logged. When reviewing the memory, if the current mileage (actually it's logged in kilometers) does not approximately equal the current odometer reading, you're unlikely to see the fault again immediately after clearing the memory. Keep an eye out for future occurrences and act accordingly.

Side question: When you say you "updated iDrive software" do you mean the in-system update via the USB port that you initiate from the iDrive menus? Or did you actually upgrade the integration level (i.e., load new firmware) using ISTA/P?

The former is only a driver update for the Bluetooth interface stack. It changes neither the user interface nor fault memory.
__________________
2011 335xi Individual 6MT - Azurite Black Metallic / Oyster & Black / Anthracite Maple + all the good stuff
2003 330Ci Sport 5MT - Black Sapphire Metallic / Natural Brown / Myrtle + the important stuff (+ go-fast stuff)

BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 07-03-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2019, 11:52 AM
germans germans is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 174
Mein Auto:
I got these codes again when I checked today minus the alarm code so I guess its been six months.

"When you say you "updated iDrive software" do you mean the in-system update via the USB port that you initiate from the iDrive menus?"

I went to the BMW website put in VIN, downloaded the software that BMW provided and updated it.

The battery seems strong judging from the starting but I'll check with multimeter. 12.2V which isn't the highest voltage but was about 33F last night so still cold.

Last edited by germans; 12-30-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-30-2019, 01:06 PM
Zeichen311's Avatar
Zeichen311 Zeichen311 is offline
Lost but making good time
Location: Here, there, or in transit
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,213
Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by germans View Post
I went to the BMW website put in VIN, downloaded the software that BMW provided and updated it.
Thanks...as noted, that only applies fixes and improvements (such as support for newer phones) to the car's communication with Bluetooth devices. It does not alter the user interface and will not clear or correct any fault conditions, so you still have some problems to diagnose.

You said 2012 335i but did not mention the body style: Coupe or sedan? If the former, that would be an E92, not an F30. You have fault codes for the blower motor voltage; there was a recall for the blower-motor wiring that affected many E90s. I forget whether that extended to the E92 but if this is an E92, it's worth a check.

BMW recalls web site: https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-and-emission-recalls.html
__________________
2011 335xi Individual 6MT - Azurite Black Metallic / Oyster & Black / Anthracite Maple + all the good stuff
2003 330Ci Sport 5MT - Black Sapphire Metallic / Natural Brown / Myrtle + the important stuff (+ go-fast stuff)

BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-30-2019, 03:23 PM
germans germans is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 174
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Thanks...as noted, that only applies fixes and improvements (such as support for newer phones) to the car's communication with Bluetooth devices. It does not alter the user interface and will not clear or correct any fault conditions, so you still have some problems to diagnose.

You said 2012 335i but did not mention the body style: Coupe or sedan? If the former, that would be an E92, not an F30. You have fault codes for the blower motor voltage; there was a recall for the blower-motor wiring that affected many E90s. I forget whether that extended to the E92 but if this is an E92, it's worth a check.

BMW recalls web site: https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-and-emission-recalls.html
Its the sedan, so its the newer F30 style. All of the recalls have been done. BMW shows zero recalls now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.