2004 X3 Fuel Level Sensor and Tank help - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X3 M, X5 M, X6 M, Z3 M & Z4 M > X3 M

X3 M

Old 09-10-2019, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto:
2004 X3 Fuel Level Sensor and Tank help

Ok, I have read multiple threads and have been able to come up with a common theme around my project. It is not like all others

I have a 2004 X3 with a 2.5I and after getting to the gas tank I can only locate ONE, pump/sensor set up which is located behind the passenger side. There is a cap on the drivers side however there is no plumbing, electrical wires and etc in the area. I have tried taking off the drivers side cap to look down into the take however it is literally stuck and is not moving.

I was able to take off the passenger side cap and like some videos it has the cap which is connected to the electrical connection to the pump, the actual line from the pump and the overflow/air vent line.

The pump is pushed off to the side and seems to be literally attached to the inside of the gas tank. The FUEL LEVEL SENSOR is off to the left, closer to the door, on a rack of some sort. I have grabbed it in the hopes that I would be able to detach it from the rack and replace it since I am getting a P0460 code and was thinking that replacing the sensor would fix the problem.

From what I can see could potentially pull the pump then the sensor however am I am very lost on how to do this. Multiple videos show the simple all in one pump attached to the cap however like mentioned mine seems to be a little more OEM/ never been touched or just old.

The dealership wants to replace the entire pump which I understand however everything is working great, needle and all besides the error code.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO TAKE THE FUEL LEVEL SENSOR OUT OF THE TANK AND REPLACE IT?

HAS ANYONE EVER DEALT WITH A MULTIPLE PUMP SET UP WHERE THE CAP, PUMP AND SENSOR SEEMS TO BE IT'S OWN STAND ALONE UNIT?

I'm all ears
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas cap.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	864127  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto:
cont.

Is it possible to have only one fuel level sensor in my x3?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X3 M, X5 M, X6 M, Z3 M & Z4 M > X3 M
Today's Posts Search