BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E60 M5 rear mufler

827 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Annolago 
#1 ·
Hi
Does anyone happen to have a picture of a rear muffler where I can see the inside of it. What I am looking for is to see how much material there is inside and how it is built.
Reason I ask is that I wanted to get more flow in my 545i exhaust and mounted a rear muffler from the left side (when I say one I mean the pair from one side) as it is almost 100% identical to the one originally installed on my car.
Only thing was that the car now sounds like an electric car. My V8 sound is gone to a degree where I have to open the door or look at the dashboard to see if the engine is on.
So I need to figure out why that is. I get that the M5 has two pairs but still normally on a 545/550 only one of the pair is used for low rews. So I assumed more flow - but not only less sound there is also clearly a loss of power or rather ability to quickly rev up. Takes what feels like forever now.
Sounds like a 7 series. Not my cup of tea. So hope someone can help.
And please don’t want to go extreme and get rid of the mufflers.
Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.