ABS pump replacement - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3
ABS pump replacement

I'm taking my 1999 Z3 to the garage on Monday to have my non-working ABS pump replaced with a used one to get that darn ATC warning light off. Had codes checked and it said the pump was bad. I'm wondering if I should have them change out the brake fluid while they are working on it. The car has 105K and I'm not the original owner. Only had it since last May. I don't have any maintenance records so probably (?) still the original brake fluid in the car. Maybe also the power steering fluid? I had a leaking transmission pan gasket so that fluid and filter should be new. Also had the oil changed recently. It's an automatic, is there anything else I should have done fluid wise. I had the coolant checked this fall and was told it is okay. Next "major" project is the struts and shocks, then maybe upgrade the brakes. I don't do any mechanical work myself so it gets pretty expensive to drive that roadster into their garage. I'm 74 and retired so have to watch spending where I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 06:58 AM

Just talked to our BMW mechanic and he said that they change the brake fluid when they change the ABS pump. So that will be new. I asked if I should consider anything else and he suggested maybe the differential. I asked about the power steering and he said that wasn't too important. He wanted $150 to change both. I asked if he would do it for $100 and he said okay. That should take care of all my old fluids.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:22 AM

ABS pump replacement went perfect. Brakes are much firmer now and ATC warning light is finally out on dash. ATC switch now also works correctly. Can't tell if ABS is working yet or the traction control. Need a slippery surface to see if ABS kicks in and some warm days to check out the traction control. Brake fluid was changed during replacement and I also had the power-steering fluid and differential fluid changed while they were working on it. Next up, getting the alarm and door locks fixed. Last thing (right now) that's not working in the car. I'm going to need to find a remote for the doors somewhere. Alarm system appears to be disabled by previous owner for some reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 07:53 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Looks like she is coming back to life. Good job!

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search