BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Holy BatCrap! NOW I get it!

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Beemer323 
#1 ·
I posted my first post earlier in a thread about hating the SMG transmission- and I stand by what I said, but...

Having just picked the car up yesterday from Mecum and driving it home, then driving it around for 50 miles last night I was frankly VERY disappointed in my purchase. :rolleyes:

BUT THEN.... I waded through the freaking manual this afternoon and learned to program all the various buttons- specifically through the magical "M button" on the steering wheel.

DAMN!

I've owned a LOT of fast cars from 447 Hp Cobra Replicas to 500HP Vettes to 911s and more. But ZOWIE! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

When you crank up all the various software settings and punch the M Button it's like the car changes from clunky, hard-shifting Camry to freaking Supercar in one moment.

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

NOW I get it! Voila! :thumbup:

(Note- STILL hate the way the SMG shifts around town in normal mode though!) :mad:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I just bought my '07 M5 from a BMW dealer, trading in my X5 Diesel. Fortunately the GM of the dealership is an M fanatic and owner. He took me for a detailed test drive explaining the various nuances of "everyday" v "M" driving. You will learn to shift smoothly in "granny" mode. My wife loves it. Another post extolled the high RPM nature of the V10. This ride does not come on until you're past 5000. If I'm on the interstate and need to perform an aggressive pass from 65 or so, I drop it into third and let 'r rip! You wanna smoke the tires? (not economically recommended) Select program 7 in "M" mode, available only if you deselect DSC. Hold onto your hat and advise your passenger to prepare for a change of briefs!

#4 ·
I am glad you figured it out, I still feel the SMG is perfectly matched with this car. I love stick shift as much as the next car fan but this car is built to have the SMG tranny! Enjoy it!

#5 ·
New Owner

2006 M5..54k miles..just picked up last Friday..Man I freaking love this car.******ing my self in the Ass for not buying one sooner..Some issues..I really could use some positive feedback on..when stopped on a slight incline in drive..the car free rolls forward and or back depending on the slope..is this "normal"..second issue...Siruis radio wil not activate..spent 3 hours over the weekend with Sirius "Tech" clearing and receiving signals..no luck..any help ?..Thanks in advance..look forward to some great conversations with equally stoked Owners...J

#6 ·
I feel the love! I got my 2007 a month ago. On the "creeping" , presuming yours has the SMG tranny, remember, it is a stick without a clutch pedal. Therefore, at a stop with no pressure on the gas pedal, the clutch is disengaged and the car will roll. Your foot needs to be on the brake. DO NOT get in the habit of adding a little gas to engage the clutch to prevent roll, this will prematurely wear out the clutch just like it would if you "ride" the clutch pedal in a conventional stick shift. The car has a feature which prevents it from rolling on a slope for about one second while you transfer your foot from the brake to the gas when it's time to go. In regard to SiriusXM, I had the "remnants" of the previous owners subscription for about two weeks. Just enough to get me hooked. When I stopped receiving it, I called Sirius and opened an account with no problem. Make sure you have the correct serial number to give the folks at Sirius. Failing that, I'd take it to a BMW dealer for assistance. I've had great luck with our local dealer on minor issues resolved at no cost.

#7 ·
Smg

Rodger..Thanks for the response and intel on the SMG..was starting to think I was about to experience and "IED" in my tranny !..Copy that on the brake pedal at stop, and porential to overheat and cook the clutch...Visiting an Authorized BMW shop tomorrow for a scan/ diagnostic/ flash "intel mission"...confident they will fix my Sirius coms issue..Any experience with AMSOIL in the SMG ?..I have experienced superior benefits with AMSOIL in all my vehicles, including my 1992 Quaker State Thunderbird NASCAR..750 HP race motor with 50 hours of track time..upon tear down / inspection..my engine builder quoted " I don't know what kind of oil you run ?..but in 40 years of building Race motors..I have never seen one in this great a condition..minimal wear signs on crank mains and rod bearings!"...My Bimmer guy is pushing Castrol synthetic..I want to use AMSOIL..any advise would be appreciated..thanks again..good luck...Frisco

#10 ·
I posted my first post earlier in a thread about hating the SMG transmission- and I stand by what I said, but...

Having just picked the car up yesterday from Mecum and driving it home, then driving it around for 50 miles last night I was frankly VERY disappointed in my purchase. :rolleyes:

BUT THEN.... I waded through the freaking manual this afternoon and learned to program all the various buttons- specifically through the magical "M button" on the steering wheel.

DAMN!

I've owned a LOT of fast cars from 447 Hp Cobra Replicas to 500HP Vettes to 911s and more. But ZOWIE! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

When you crank up all the various software settings and punch the M Button it's like the car changes from clunky, hard-shifting Camry to freaking Supercar in one moment.

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

NOW I get it! Voila! :thumbup:

(Note- STILL hate the way the SMG shifts around town in normal mode though!) :mad:
If you buy a BMW, or any German car, and do not read the manual, you are missing about half of what the car has to offer.

#11 ·
Supercar

Copy that..the Performance is awesome,,,engineering equally brilliant..plus the looks you get on the Freeway when just cruising along at 80 MPH..priceless !..There are others who know the cars abilities and still in the dream stage like I was before buying..hope they find the thrill...This Forum has been a great source too..maybe the BMW enthusiast's commitment to share the experience ?..Thx..Frisco

#12 ·
plus the looks you get on the Freeway when just cruising along at 80 MPH..priceless !..There are others who know the cars abilities and still in the dream stage like I was before buying..hope they find the thrill...
... 7 years later, still the same - car is well known - I am at my first 40-minutes on the highway and all of a sudden all kinds of fast and furious dudes in anything from Volkswagen Rs to Maserati are circling me, trying to race. Nuts!!

#13 ·
Just learn how to use the SMG properly and you will understand. Most things in life have nuances if you want to do them properly

There are plenty of people in the world who will tell you how much they love driving stick but will still not understand how to use one properly.

Enjoy the s85!

#14 ·
RodgerLogan;6905512 Your foot needs to be on the brake. DO NOT get in the habit of adding a little gas to engage the clutch to prevent roll said:
How painful is it to imagine there are peeps out there who ride the throttle (or clutch) at a stop thinking that does no harm to the bits?!? Im talking all transmissions here!!!

Also, real drivers use both feet ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.