BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Popping Noise when turning left to right at low speeds and parked

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  AlTawashm 
#1 ·
I know is probably 20 threads on this topic already, but I have spent 2 hours reading all these threads and no one seems to have the same problem as I do. So please let me explain what is happening so hopefully someone can let me know a little more information on this!

First off, my e60 M5 was backed into in June, 2015. I just got the car back from the shop. I needed a new VANOS Pump, Main Oil Pump, and the chain that drives them both together. My tech mentioned that they replaced the steering fluid (side note).

I got the car back and it drove fine. Except I started noticing a popping or a clicking sound that I could also feel through the steering wheel. This happens at low speeds, like turing a corner, backing out of a parking spot, pulling in a driveway, pretty much every time i turn the wheel at low RPMS.

I have noticed it gets worse as the car warms up as well. Its not so bad once I start driving. It's at its worse when im a in a parking spot, IN GEAR, and turning left to right, back and forth. If i keep the steering wheel at 12 O'clock and turn to 11 and 1, It happens every time it reaches those positions. IF IM IN "N" IT DOESNT SEEM LIKE IT POPS AS MUCH.

I had a friend turn my steering wheel, LEFT to RIGHT. From 11:00 to 1:00 positon, and it sounded like it was coming from the strut hat. Im not at all experienced with suspensions, so i have no clue what im talking about.

In the steering wheel, it feels like there is tension when i hear the pop noise. Like something is rubbing or catching on something. It sounds like something is catching on the splash gaurd. Almost sounds like walking on hard snow! Thats the best way i can describe the sound and feel.

The vehicle did sit in a parking lot from June 5th 2015 UNTIL September 08th 2015, could this have done some damage? OR maybe when I got backed into, maybe something got bent?

Im driving it from Erie, Pa to Menifee California on October 1st, and I would hate for the car to blow up before I get there.

Please anyone give some advice, I am taking this to my Indy shop, I will call him tomorrow, but he doesnt work on a lot of M cars, he uses these forums a lot to help him out, so any advice or knowledge would help us both out! THANKS!

See less See more
#3 ·
I know is probably 20 threads on this topic already, but I have spent 2 hours reading all these threads and no one seems to have the same problem as I do. So please let me explain what is happening so hopefully someone can let me know a little more information on this!

First off, my e60 M5 was backed into in June, 2015. I just got the car back from the shop. I needed a new VANOS Pump, Main Oil Pump, and the chain that drives them both together. My tech mentioned that they replaced the steering fluid (side note).

I got the car back and it drove fine. Except I started noticing a popping or a clicking sound that I could also feel through the steering wheel. This happens at low speeds, like turing a corner, backing out of a parking spot, pulling in a driveway, pretty much every time i turn the wheel at low RPMS.

I have noticed it gets worse as the car warms up as well. Its not so bad once I start driving. It's at its worse when im a in a parking spot, IN GEAR, and turning left to right, back and forth. If i keep the steering wheel at 12 O'clock and turn to 11 and 1, It happens every time it reaches those positions. IF IM IN "N" IT DOESNT SEEM LIKE IT POPS AS MUCH.

I had a friend turn my steering wheel, LEFT to RIGHT. From 11:00 to 1:00 positon, and it sounded like it was coming from the strut hat. Im not at all experienced with suspensions, so i have no clue what im talking about.

In the steering wheel, it feels like there is tension when i hear the pop noise. Like something is rubbing or catching on something. It sounds like something is catching on the splash gaurd. Almost sounds like walking on hard snow! Thats the best way i can describe the sound and feel.

The vehicle did sit in a parking lot from June 5th 2015 UNTIL September 08th 2015, could this have done some damage? OR maybe when I got backed into, maybe something got bent?

Im driving it from Erie, Pa to Menifee California on October 1st, and I would hate for the car to blow up before I get there.

Please anyone give some advice, I am taking this to my Indy shop, I will call him tomorrow, but he doesnt work on a lot of M cars, he uses these forums a lot to help him out, so any advice or knowledge would help us both out! THANKS!
Did you ever find out what it was I have the same issue

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

#4 ·
Jack the can and check the suspension links, it will be one of the ball joints warnout.
If it all ok, have a look at the shocks from the upper side. Under the hood i mean. There is a rubber like a disk shape (I dont know what its called) whatever it could be warn and moving around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.