BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rod-Bearings

9K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  shishkogogo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 2006 e60 M5, it has 96000 miles on the original engine and I have had the vanos and vanos solenoids replaced recently, I have had all this work done at our local BMW dealership. I purchased the vehicle a few years ago from the original owner who also had all services done at BMW/Concord.

When they replaced the vanos, we decided to do the rod bearings as we were in there so why not. Well, the repair went very well because there was at least 2 spun Rod-bearings and the other 8 looked worn too.

What happened next is a mystery, and to be honest the dealership up here in Northern California seems a little over their heads with this car. I've pretty much had to do everything's 2 or 3 times. When the vanos was failing, they suggested only replacing the high-pressure line, this costing mostly labor, seemed like it was the solution; only to have vanos fail ultimately anyway. So for a third time, we finally get the vanos replaced. And that's when they heard the tapping in the pan. So they suggested removing the suspension again and opening the oil pan. Like I said, everything 2-3 times here.

But now after 500 miles, the engine begins knocking and tapping again and they're telling me it's Rod-bearings again.

Now there's discussion of a full rebuild etc. but the engine is as smooth as silk and full of power... There was some particulate in the oil, but that's no longer there after several recent oil changes from repairs alone.

Could I ask you guys to give me some advice/information so I can feel certain about what I should do?

Why would the bearings fail so fast again and is there something maybe they're doing wrong with the install?

They are wiggling a bit but I Have a great relationship with them, although I'm beginning to think they may not know what they're doing with this s85 V/10 engine.

Please let me know what you guys can do... I would pay dearly to have any of you professionals or service techs to consult their technicians! If you work for a company that specializes in these repairs, I could easily get your contact info and consult you via telephone, email or however works best. I would additionally cover any costs for your "Professional" time with the technicians.

My M5 is in excellent condition over all, I am willing to put any amount of work into this vehicle to get and keep it right, but I don't want to waste money while others make the wrong repairs or whatever. I live in a remote area and so my options are limited with the local dealership I guess.

See less See more
#7 ·
Update

Well, for anyone experiencing this problem... it was in fact terminal and the car does need a new engine!

That being the bad news, the great news is that it has led me to Troy Jeup! The car was shipped to him about 2 weeks ago. Not to mention he's a very cool guy and we've managed to strike up a friendship. I'm telling you he has to be the easiest guy to work with I've dealt with in a long time.

So, he gave me the choice of a stock rebuilt 5.0 engine or a 5.2 or 6.0 stroker engine with 600+ and 700+hp respectively for each engine!

I have chosen the 5.2 stroker engine and he's going through my SMG and I've requested a new clutch while he is in there too. My m5 is in very good physical condition but these engines have issues with the crankshaft and bearings.

If you are having any issues with your vanos, vanos solenoids or pump... make sure while they have the subframe out that you check those bearings and crankshaft too, because I spent literally $9000 for all new stuff only to have technician tell me they think I had a spun rod bearing after the whole thing was put back together!

#9 · (Edited)
The standard axxhole reply..

Don't be so smug......:thumbdwn:

What makes you think i own a Honda or Toyota.....:dunno:

2006 M5 isn't even expensive to purchase ....i would look for a 2008 or better but that doesn't mean i look forward to possibly having to spend a third of the cost on a single repair.

Show me 1 person who looks forward to having to spend $X000.00 in repairs on a car. That being said ill probably scale back to an E90 M3 sedan and yes ...i know they have issues too.

SMH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.