BMW Touch up paint - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-06-2009, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyderek View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I will be ordering a pen & some other goodies soon.
Thanks! Please let me know if I can help with any of your selections.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i ZSP
My bodyshop friend advised me that an absolute color match is almost impossible and that metallic finishes are the hardest to match. For small repairs, they usually end up painting an area 3-4 times the size of the damage in order to "blend" in the colors. If done well, it is very hard to see the color variation. THis is not something most folks can do.

Fixing chips with paint brushes is never going to look like a factory paint job.

"It is little use listening to other people as they will either be agreeing with you or saying stupid stuff" - Dogbert

I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh!ts on everybody. Pretending it ain't sh!t makes you an idiot, not an optimist.

2004 325i - Sport package - 5MT- clears - CDV mod - M3 gauge faces w/silver gauge rings & red needles - SS exhaust tips - strut tower brace - Hotchkis anti-sway bars -50% tint - shadow grills - roof spoiler - silver CF trim
Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 330I ray ray ray...
Quote:
Originally Posted by djstrachan View Post
My bodyshop friend advised me that an absolute color match is almost impossible and that metallic finishes are the hardest to match. For small repairs, they usually end up painting an area 3-4 times the size of the damage in order to "blend" in the colors. If done well, it is very hard to see the color variation. THis is not something most folks can do.

Fixing chips with paint brushes is never going to look like a factory paint job.
in the same boat, i found my paint online but i think i'll have someone do it for me, it will cost me more in time trying to match the paint..
Old 07-06-2009, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonspot View Post
in the same boat, i found my paint online but i think i'll have someone do it for me, it will cost me more in time trying to match the paint..
I actually played with my airbrush and the on-line paint and managed to get a very effective blending of colours so that you really could not tell it had been repainted (colorwise). This required me painting the section to the shadow lines in order to hide the color changes.

Unfortunately, when I got to applying the clear coat, I encountered problems with the undercoat and clear coat chemistry and had to strip the whole thing off

Not sure what to do now as I really don't feel like spending $500 to get it done at a shop when I plan to replace the bumper within a year for an M3 or M TechII.

"It is little use listening to other people as they will either be agreeing with you or saying stupid stuff" - Dogbert

I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh!ts on everybody. Pretending it ain't sh!t makes you an idiot, not an optimist.

2004 325i - Sport package - 5MT- clears - CDV mod - M3 gauge faces w/silver gauge rings & red needles - SS exhaust tips - strut tower brace - Hotchkis anti-sway bars -50% tint - shadow grills - roof spoiler - silver CF trim
Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li/735iL/Vette/R1100RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
I used it on some rock chips on the front of the car.Some spots needed two applications since the paint shrunk in the chip.

using the end of a match ........ good way to apply the paint in small spots.
Two items may be of use. First, from an excellent body man: clean the chip with alcohol and apply several 'coats' to fill it. This may take several days to allow for drying.
Second, from another pro, a longtime friend and auto paint shop owner, whose amazing work I have seen: use strips of masking tape on either side of the touch-up while finish sanding. this allows a very thin 'bump' to polish away while protecting the surrounding paint.

A match is very old school, but work(s)(ed). Some use an artist's brush or the newish paint pens with the same steady hand.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto:
Does anyone know what you should be paying for touch up paint?

I went to our local bmw 'stealership' who tried to charge me $66 (AUD) for 12 mls of orient blue paint for my 330ci
I thought that was pretty laughable. Used an aftermarket spraycan shook and sprayed some into the cap. Used a broken toothpick to dot the paint into the chip.
Very happy with the result.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Quality

Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Mein Auto: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I used the OEM one, I have no problems with it. The clear coat is a bit hard to do.
paintscratch.com

makes clear coating easy as pie.

here is my diy

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/b...-painting.html

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
touchup pen

Do you guys have a preference for online retailers to get touch up paint from? Just for a small job, slight rock chip below the headlight. i use touchuppaintonline.com anyone had any luck w/ another site?

Last edited by mechanic; 04-27-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 AM
BMW driver/rider

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP/05 12GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
Do you guys have a preference for online retailers to get touch up paint from? Just for a small job, slight rock chip below the headlight. i use touchuppaintonline.com anyone had any luck w/ another site?
http://www.bimmertools.com/category-s/39.htm

I used the touch up pen on my Imola Red and am very happy with the results considering I really didn't have any experience at chip repair.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Dealer touchup is kinda suckin' these days. It seems that its been shelved for so long that by the time a customer comes around its just too old to use, at least what i've found... could just be my local BMW dealer. find a good retailer online, they usually have fast turnaround with fresher paints.

Last edited by mechanic; 07-05-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Lester M. Wesley

Mein Auto: BMW 2.20 D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando779 View Post
I did a search on this but didn't really find what I was looking for so here it goes. My car has a couple of dings that are into the primer on the body (1 on the hood and 1 on the driver's side door). Has anyone used the BMW touch up paint kit and care to share their experiences? What can you tell me about using this stuff and does it do a decent job covering up the dinged/scratched area?

Thanks!

BTW I had my first DIY on Sunday replacing my worn out cowl. I would like to thank everyone on this site for a successful DIY and more to come! This place rocks!
I used this product. I got a lot of results for the red color.
https://colorndrive.com/en/touch-up-...abrio-2015,235

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
paint, touch-up

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search