Just my luck...Limp mode, CEL and Tranny light - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Nando779 Send a message via Yahoo to Nando779
Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci, Orient Blue
Unhappy Just my luck...Limp mode, CEL and Tranny light

I drove home one night after it had stormed pretty well. There were a good amount of puddles but nothing I wouldn't have considered a hazard to my car. Like always I drive like a grandma through the puddles regardless of the honking of the aholes behind me. I turned on my street and started up my driveway and the dreaded tranny symbol makes it's appearance (!) next to the D. I park the car, turn it off then fire back up. The symbol is gone. I turn it off and go inside. The next morning I drive a few seconds from my house and the CEL is on with the tranny light(!). It is now in limp mode. I make my way to Autozone to read the code and get P0734 (4th gear incorrent ratio or something like that) along with P1619.

I am certain there is no 1st or 2nd gear but all others are present. It will not go in reverse . I am trying to see what the next step should be. I read a thread on fanatics where a member had a similar story and got his TCU reflashed and it did the trick. I do not remember him mentioning anything about reverse though. This really came at a bad time financial wise.

Thoughts?

My bimmer and the son of Sam himself.

http://www.facebook.com/Nando.Alvarez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 12:44 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci (5 speed)
First of all, don't panic. Lots of things can cause your issue that aren't trans related. For instance, did you know if you remove the connector to your MAF it will go in limp mode? The rain may or may not be a coincidence. First thing I would do is remove the battery terminals for a good 30 minutes and let everything reset. Next, I'd get a test of my battery and alternator (free after all so why not).

Let us know what is going on with those things.

The 1619 code is sort of an enigma code of sorts in that most people can't 100% tell you what is going on with that code. Can you get your hands on a Peaker tool or get an indy to read the BMW specific codes? For some reason I am thinking it might be the MAF flaking out causing your limp mode, it DOES happen.

Last resort and if all else fails, do a fluid flush and filter. If you recall my trans was doing what yours is some years ago and I figured I had nothing to lose anyways so I changed the fluiid and filter. She went another 50k miles plus before she finally died with no problems.

WORK the problem, don't make it worse by guessing. We'll get you throug this. PM me if you want my cell number and we can text/chat.
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 07-07-2011, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words Shad. I will try the battery thing first when I get home tonight. I am feeling better about the whole thing now. I just have to work at it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: Touring and others
Smolck is exactly right. If you can't reach him, give me a try. I'll send you my phone number if you need it. We can walk you through this. I'm gonna bet on a bad ground.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
I have had this same problem with my car 3 times in less then a yr with less than 50k on the clock.
1. 9/02/10 25k mi Car goes into limp mode, I take car to dealer they replace some electronic shifter switch.
2. 01/11 34k mi same thing as 1.
3. 6/11 47k mi car goes into limp mode yet again so I take car to dealer they tell me that the transmission is toast. Hard to believe since it seems like the same problem as before. They hold on to my car for about 2 weeks doing extensive tests. SA from dealer calls me up and tells me they replaced EGS and the car is good to go.

Funny thing is now that I think back to all the time these problems occurred it was either raining or snowing very hard while driving. Could weather be causing electronic failure due to a bad seal? Dealer says no but I have a hunch to believe otherwise.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I tried unplugging the battery for a good while but no luck. It is only a month old battery. I didn't have a chance at all this weekend to do anything else to my car since my 9 month old had a fever all weekend. I will do some troubleshooting the next couple of nights if necessary and will keep everyone updated.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 AM

Update:

Due to my current limitations in time, I got the car to AAMCO transmissions (whom I have done buisness with before) and told them the issue and what I thought it might be. They ended up cleaning the TCU wiring harness due to the muddy water getting in/on it. Reset the car and now it is good to go! Thanks to all for keeping me from panicking. I am soooo glad this issue was easily fixed without the talks of a new tranny.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:58 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci (5 speed)
Glad it turned out to be minor!
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: Touring and others
Good on you. Most of the time guys panic, and it is not the transmission after all. Of course the 3 pedal wonders don't want to hear that.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
BTW, and after inspecting/unplugging/reconnecting several of the connectors in these cars, it would appear that the rubber weather seal in some or all is removable and maybe even replaceable. Might be worth looking into when something like Nando's happens and you don't want a reprise.

2006 325Ci

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search