Nokian 245/45R WR G4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

Old 12-06-2019, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 535d xDrive
Nokian 245/45R WR G4

I just replaced the Goodyear Eagle LS Run Flats with Nokians for the winter (I've had the car a month after a CPO purchase, but could tell the GY were not going to on for long)..

I've been a Michelin fan for years, but the reviews and price tipped me towards the Nokians. We have no snow here (yet) but the sound level is very quiet on dry pavement. They seem to handle well (brand new, so need a bit of wear to really test).

One noticeable difference is the lack of "wander" I felt with the Goodyears -- The 535d xDrive drove like a RWD, requiring constant minute corrections. No more -- the car tracks straight and true like a FWD.

The last set of Goodyears I had were Eagle GT+4 on a Chrysler 300M (circa 2001) After two sets with at least one being out of round I dropped the GY and switched to Michelins and have not gone back.

But if this early experience is any indication, the Nokians may be right up there on the preferred list!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 08:40 AM

First Snow Drive

We have snow falling today. Temps in the 20s. We drove about 30 miles to help friends move. They live on a rather steep hill.

The 2016 535d xDrive with Nokian tires drove flawlessly. The location required about 20 miles highway, 10 back roads, with a couple of miles up and down an untreated steep hill.

I don't drive 80 MPH "cuz i got four-wheel-drive" since it's not about going, but stopping (I once slid an M1 Abrams tank down a snow-coated tank trail. There is no better off-road vehicle on the planet).

But at reasonable speeds, I did not feel the loss of traction once. The ride was steady, planted, and sure. I am very happy with the overall combination: highly recommended!!

Old 01-18-2020, 09:55 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I am very pleased with my NOKIAN WR G3 now 14 months and 10K+ miles used. Mine are year around tires as we have icy snowy roads six months of the year.

There is no better 70+ ton off-road vehicle on the planet than an Abrams M1.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 01-18-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
I am very pleased with my NOKIAN WR G3 now 14 months and 10K+ miles used. Mine are year around tires as we have icy snowy roads six months of the year.

There is no better 70+ ton off-road vehicle on the planet than an Abrams M1.
This particular event was in an M1IP, 60 tons fully loaded (on that day more like 57 tons --no ammo). We crested a hill and hit the north slope of a steep road. I called down to my driver to slow down as we started picking up speed. After a moment he replied, "I have the brakes locked!"

I told him to release the brakes and steer for the snowpack off the trail. That gave us enough control to avoid sliding out onto the public roadway at the bottom of the hill.

The date, unit, and location shall remain unmentioned.

The M1 and subsequent variants is still an amazing machine. The turbine powerpack can be swapped out in less than an hour, and yet made 60+ tons scoot like a scalded pig. The brakes were ridiculously effective (no production car can stop in the distance an M1 can at the same speed).

Various additions have bloated the weight a bit, but it remains the world's premier armored vehicle.

Of course, it consumed 10 gallons kerosene per mile off-road.

Anyway, the Nokians are awesome -- driving on dry pavement they are quiet and efficient (averaging 37 MPG in spirited driving on highways).

Last edited by DanmcinPA; 01-18-2020 at 02:42 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Today's Posts Search