Apple CarPlay for 2017 F32 4 Series (first gen pre-face lift) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto:
Apple CarPlay for 2017 F32 4 Series (first gen pre-face lift)

Hi,

Just bought a 430i F32 - lovely, lovely car. A little disappointed though that doesn't have Apple Car Play. So looking at options.

I've checked the official BMW website the 300 option, and via the VIN, it is not available.

Google is bringing up https://www.bimmer-tech.net/ and their videos and website look good.

But I don't understand how bimmer-tech works with what is currently there. I've emailed them to ask but hopefully someone here might have experience;

-Does it upset the current software?
-Is it wireless or cable?
-Can I still update the car software via bmw.com/update or should I avoid it?
-How do I use it? Is it part of the software or seperate?

-Is there an OEM alternative?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions, I'm slow to change things in a car that is new to me.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
I put in a new head unit for the same reason. Easy to do but not cheap. Guy in Canada sells them.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Old 06-28-2020, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto:
I installed the bimmer tech mmi on my f36. The install is well within the abilities of a home mechanic. The instructions say you can fit the box behind the CD player, but if you have the Harmon Kardon system, you'll have to fit it next to the glove box. The system basically switches between its own CarPlay system and idrive. The box is connected between idrive and the head screen. You get a wiring harness with the unit.

As for the unit itself, I love it! It's a bit more expensive than some other options out there, but the integration is close to perfectly seamless. When I get into the car, my phone automatically connects to wireless CarPlay (You can run it cabled, but why bother?) and displays it on the head unit. When you shift to reverse, the system automatically switches to the backup camera, then switches back again when you shift to drive. The system also does android auto, which no bmw can do right now. You use all the same controls as the regular idrive. I have the standard nbt, not evo which means no touchscreen. I never use idrive anymore and do not miss it one bit.

One comment, bimmer tech will periodically update the system. They do not notify you when that happens. Initially, I was having connection issues, but after an update, that was fixed. I had to reach out to them for the update.

Overall, well worth the upgrade. Shipping was quick and they do a good job responding to questions. I think the whole thing was $600. Cheaper than whole unit replacement. This is a separate unit, which means you update separately from the idrive. It does not impact idrive whatsoever and is easily removed if you want.

Last edited by alias320; 06-28-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks guys.

Seamless is a word I love to hear! The price is high, but if the service and functionality is good and seamless, it makes it worthwhile. I think I'll go ahead and throw in a wireless charging panel too!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search