Best recommendations to hand wash my car? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)

G20 (2019 - Current)

Old 06-29-2020, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto:
Best recommendations to hand wash my car?

New black G20. I would like to wash in my driveway. What is recommended in terms of:
Soap, washing mitt or sponges, wheel wash and windshield wash/spray? Is it best to use microfiber or chamois to dry my car?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 04:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
How about a soft power wash approach? No swirl marks or accidental scratches? Spray on the cleaning solution and spray it off with water.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-29-2020, 04:16 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Microfiber to 'scrub' with soap. Rinse with distilled water. Dry with air blower. Distilled water to remove any water spots, wiped away with MF.

Wash wheel first. Wash windshield last.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto:
How about a soft power wash approach? No swirl marks or accidental scratches? Spray on the cleaning solution and spray it off with water.

Interesting. Can you tell me a bit more? So I'm not actually touching the car. Is this what you do? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport

Washing starts for 4:00.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-29-2020, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Particulate filter for the hose. Tap water has sand in it, especially if you live in a "sand state" (FL, TX, AZ, NM, NV, CA, HI, etc.) My toilet tanks are full of sand at the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Watts-520021-...479643&sr=8-55

Two buckets with grit guards (elevated screen in the bottom, so that sand falls through the screen and away from the mitts. One bucket's for soapy water. One is to rinse the mitt before re-soaping.

Microfiber mitts. Get a light color mitts for the top of the car (door handles up), and a darker color mitts for the sides (door handles down). The lighter color makes it easier to see any grit trapped in the mitt. Wash them in separate loads of laundry after each use.

Another mitt for the wheels and underside of the car (bottom of rocker panels, lips of wheel wells, bottoms of bumpers. Also have a separate bucket for wheels and undersides. Don't wash that mitt in the washer. You don't want to transfer brake and road grit to the washer or dryer.

Microfiber "waffle" towels from drying. Dry by blotting, not wiping. These things are absorbent as all get out. I use clean conventional towels for the door handles down. The blower thing gets most of the water off, especially with a good coat of wax.

https://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-waffle-weave.html

Microfiber rags for spot drying and getting dried wax off. Wash after every use.

Blast the car thoroughly with the hose before washing, and to rinse after washing.

Wash from the top down.

Transfer the grit guard bucket soapy to the wheel and underside bucket.

Never drop mitts or towels on the pavement.

Wheels are painted and clear coated, just like the body. Treat it the same, but with segregated mitts, buckets, wax pads, and towels to prevent brake dust and metal powder from migrating back up to the body's paint. A sponge on a stick is good for cleaning the inside of the wheels and the brake calipers.

Mechanic's stool for washing the sides and wheels. I'm lazy.

Don't use dishwashing liquid. It strips off wax.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto:
Very helpful and specific. Much appreciated.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > G20 (2019 - Current)
Today's Posts Search