Help on Used 13 28i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 06-28-2020, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto:
Help on Used 13 28i

Hey all, I'm looking at purchasing a used 2013 xDrive28i with 66k miles on it, single owner and seems to be well maintained. It's fully loaded with all packages and in the colors I want. I would buy instantly but the n20 timing chain is giving me pause, is this something to steer clear of? How common does is this issue actually?

I plan on getting a PPI done by a good indy but would they be able to help much with seeing how much life it has left on it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 05:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 525xi Monaco Blue
Short answer: yes, steer clear of it. 66k is around the time many of these timing chains let go. I regret the day we purchased ours years ago. I have a vehicle now, that even though it's had the timing chain retrofit, is a vehicle I can't trust for long trips. And it's our long trip vehicle.

Spend some extra money and go after the 35i w/ the I6 engine.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto:
Do you know if there is way to physically check if this has been replaced? If so, would it be safe to buy a car that had the chain guard break, didn't grenade the engine, and was repaired?

I have been looking around for a 35i but few near me seem to have the m package which I would really like as I hate the different color trim above the wheels etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto:
So I actually just talked to the dealer and it is in the shop right now for a new timing chain and guard. Would this be a good buy now that this issue has been fixed with the upgraded parts?

Thanks!

Last edited by chirs952; 06-29-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 06 525xi Monaco Blue
Given how these things play out w/ the car manufacturers, you will get no peace of mind from BMW stating emphatically "yep, we fixed the problem, you have the retrofit, all is well".

The risk you take is mitigated by the retrofit, to be sure. You also have to question why the dealer chose to do so? This is not a small repair job. It's an entire day of a mechanics time. Even at an indi repair shop it's north of $2500 to do this job. I would be very leery of this dealer just suddenly doing this w/o the likelihood they recognized the timing chain was/has failed. There is a telltale whine that comes from the engine as the timing chain fails. They likely recognized it since they've likely seen so many of these.

Further, let's say the timing chain replacement is solid and will give you another 100k mi w/o trouble. The timing chain is certainly the worst of known issues with the N20 engine. But there's a laundry list of other items that a good BMW indi will be happy to tell you about. My own '13 28i has had at least $8k of repairs since it went out of mftr warranty. Thankfully, I had an extended warranty. This included a full replacement of turbos before 100k mi.

Which brings me around to the last point: the extended warranty. Can you get an extended warranty on this vehicle to cover yourself? Not sure, the way I understand it you must buy it before the original mftr warranty runs out, which ran out long ago on this vehicle. Have you owned BMWs before and are willing to sign up for a couple of 1000 of repairs and maintenance each year?

I am not a complete BMW hater but my experience with the N20 engine and the X3 has soured me. I also have 5 series in the garage, much older, but with the I6 engine(the same solid one in the X3 35i). Very little trouble compared to the X3. My personal opinion is BMWs 4 cyl engines are garbage. The 6 is a great engine. Buy the model you want with the 6 in it if you are compelled to buy a BMW.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:58 PM
JUST STARTING AGAIN

Mein Auto: 2017 X3 RWD
I also heard about 2013 chain problems

almost jumped on a sweet looking 28i w/70k, until I spoke to local indi shop. I took a hard left turn on it, and started looking at only 35is. May broaden options to a X5 in navy blue..... can't seem to find a 35i in navy nearby without 100k.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4MC , Corrado G60
When I was searching, I only looked at I6 (turbo and non-turbo). It's not like the I4 gets much better mileage 28 vs 26 mpg. I'm not saying there's anything's wrong with the 4 cyl (except know timing chain issues), but for me, I wanted the I6 for it's proven reliability, smooth low effort power deliver on a 4200lb AWD vehicle. There are lower mileage 35i models out there, you just don't need to be in a hurry. Took me a few months to find the right one. I'm thinking right now, with the pandemic, there probably isn't the normal flow of used inventory.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:18 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e60, f25
if the price is right.. you could just factor in the chain job on the overall price

15486372<-----

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search