Air Conditioner A/C blowing hot on one side - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 02 745i
Air Conditioner A/C blowing hot on one side

I have spent some time looking for this information but have not been able to find a solution.

I have a 2002 745i with about 150K miles.

The A/C started acting funny several weeks ago, even though it is set on AC MAX it will blow hot air on one side and cold on the other: Passenger=HOT Driver=COLD or viceversa, depends on the cars mood.

I am trying to figure out if the car could be low on freon, or if there is a valve that controls and regulates the air flow, It would seem to me that since it is blowing cold on one side it is not low on freon...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
go to the ac in idrive and set the drivers side to blue (cold) take it out of the red (hot)

if that doesnt help then something is broken

Old 06-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the reply... i've tried that already and made sure the settings are all on "blue"

I think something is broken too... just trying to see if anyone else has had to fix this issue... thanks.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Kubota on 48's
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=ac+hot

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 06-21-2010, 08:53 PM

diznik007 thanks!!! that valve is what i was suspecting... just wanting to verify... I will check the refrigerant pressure first, then buy that new valve... thanks again!

ps what did you search to find that thread? i tried searching A/C blow hot, A/c issues, Air conditoning problem...no luck
Old 06-22-2010, 11:12 AM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Normally low gas. Had the same issue 3 weeks after regassing on my UK '07 spec 760Li with the driver side going warm before the passenger side and finally (after having vac'd out the system after diagnosing a tiny leak on the front condenser) tried this product and the problem went away
Old 08-20-2010, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 M5
I have a 2000 m5 with the passenger side vents being hotter than the driver's side. In my efforts to repair this problem I replaced the heater control valve and the problem still persist. There is a ten degree difference between the passenger side vents and driver's vents at any temp setting. I used a digital temp gauge gun. A/C charge is good I had it checked with a three gauge setup 35 lbs on the low side and I can't remember the high number but it was in the blue. Maybe the in dash temp sending unit? As a test I used an ohm meter to find ground and the two positive terminals on the control valve. For anyone's reference the wire closest to the firewall is the ground brown in color, the other two yellow with red and pink are positive. I forced the valve closed using a spare plug and battery and the problem still persist. I know that there is no water flowing through the heater cores and now I'm lost. Maybe a bad expansion valve in the a/c causing the a/c to not get cold enough? The driver's vents will get down to 46 degrees on recalculate. I also jumped the two positive wires going to the valve to make both of the temp settings the same with no different results. I did this by using one of those cheap blue plastic jumpers and then tested the voltage on the plugs. I'm running out of ideas and need a little help from someone who has gone through this with positive results.
Thanks for your time you can respond on this thread on to my email [email protected] (old email don't hate!)
Joe Randall
Old 08-20-2010, 12:22 PM

Joe,

I think you can fix your problem by replacing part # 64118374994, it is a "Water Valve". You can see a picture/location of it here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...94&hg=64&fg=18

Inside this water valve there are some plastic seals that over time desintegrate and allow hot coolant to seep trough and cause your symptoms.

As you can see there are 2 chambers on this valve, when you want hotter air on one side one of those chambers controls the flow of hot coolant and helps regulate temperature.

I would hate for you to replace this if it's not needed. therefore, what you can do, as I did, is take this part off your car, then carefully take it apart, there are 5 or 6 screws that come off on the bottom and allows you to open it up and inspect the plastic seals i'm taking about. It is very obvious when you open it up, it seals are torn, etc... you should replace it. If everything looks good then this is not the issue.

BTW when you take this off, you will loose a little bit of coolant, I refilled with water... it was just about a quart...(on my 745i)

Good Luck!

Last edited by isaac'sbmw; 08-20-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 M5
I thought that there might be someone with the same problem so i decided to update everyone.. After changing out my water control valve as mintioned above the problem was not solved. I then learned how to test the old one to make sure it was good. on the e39 m5 the valve is located right inside the drivers side finder on the shock tower. there is a three prong electrical connection on top of the water valve. the brown wire closest to the firewall is the ground and the two yellow wires with a purple stripe are the + terminals. I used a car battery and a piece of speaker wire to test the silanoids. when you apply 12v and a ground to the silanoid it will pop. this is the valve closing, they are held open by spring pressure and close when the a/c is turned on. If you cant hear it pop then its bad. alright, so my problem wasnt the water valve. I had a low charge in my a/c. this was weird to me because I am not an a/c profesional i knew what on a three guage setup my numbers were all within range. what it was doing after talking to my gf's uncle the a/c was low on charge. It was taking from the low side when the compressor would kick on and get good high side pressure but then throw and error because the low side didnt have enought freeon. once the pressure would bleed off the highside and the system would "balance" it would then kick on again. This would be just long enough for the drivers air to get cold. anyways one can of freeon from advanced fixed the problem and i haven't had anymore problems. The way i see it for a car that is this old having to put a can of freeon in it was no big deal. If you have access to a set of high and low pressure gauges then its pretty easy to see whats going on after being shown by someone that knows about a/c. You can over charge your a/c so be carefull... good luck fellas! oh and i know my spelling sucks, im a welder not an english major.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 730d SE
Good Evening all,

Its my first post here.

I've just got myself a 730d SE 2008 - few weeks ago and noticed problems with air condition
cooling passenger side only. Did some test using Rheingold today and think the refrigerant pressure is too low only slighty above 9 bar. Is it low on gas or compressor is almost dead?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1407
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	502946   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	502947  
Old 04-10-2015, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
if it were low on refrigerant it would not be cooling at all
Old 05-28-2015, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 750i Xdrive 2010
Air Conditioner A/C blowing hot on one side

I have a 750 Li 2006 with 150 K km on it. Noticed this problem since a week or two... In my case, it blow's really hot air on driver side as well as on the windshield no matter it is on AC or not, even if I change the temperature it will still blow really hot air... Right side works fine. How can I see what the problem is? What kind of program can I use to see if theres some faults? Where can I find it and also what type of wire I need to connect to computer? Any advice is welcome thanks!

If I put it on Max AC, there will be some cold air that blows from the driver side but still hot air from windshield or legs

Last edited by danielbej; 05-28-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 745i, 330Ci ZHP, 335Xi
Mine started doing the same thing today, and I just added some R-134a and it fixed it instantly.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: '07 750i
Where is the port for adding the R-134a on an E65, mine is a '07 750i.
Thanks,
George
Old 09-01-2015, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Bmw 750i
Low side is by the abs module passenger side, and high side on the same side just aside the passenger headlight.
Mine was low as well, and added 3/4 pound and all is well now.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: '07 750i
Thanks Dant9422. While this may be clear to others, do I add the refrigerant to high side, low side or both? I've also read elsewhere on the forum that I should also add pag46 oil, maybe 4 ounces. Did you?
Thanks,
George
Old 09-02-2015, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Bmw 750i
We hooked a ac machine to it and just added 3/4 of a pound of freon
Old 06-12-2017, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 95 540I
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac'sbmw View Post
I have spent some time looking for this information but have not been able to find a solution.

The A/C started acting funny several weeks ago, even though it is set on AC MAX it will blow hot air on one side and cold on the other: Passenger=HOT Driver=COLD or viceversa, depends on the cars mood.

I am trying to figure out if the car could be low on freon, or if there is a valve that controls and regulates the air flow, It would seem to me that since it is blowing cold on one side it is not low on freon...

Thanks.
Not a refrigeration problem. Try replacing the heater control solenoid valve. Chances are you have coolant leaking passed the passenger diapghram thus causing the heating on the passenger side.
I have had the same problem. Lucky for me I have my own A/C manifold guages and know that the freon level is properly charged.
I've had the same problem on my other BMW's and it's always been the heater control valve.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Muletallica

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac'sbmw View Post

Thanks.

Definitely heater control valve as mentioned by others. I had mine replaced last year and it now blows ice cold again!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 08-12-2019, 03:37 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li
[QUOTE=rswapp;10196374]Not a refrigeration problem. Try replacing the heater control solenoid valve. Chances are you have coolant leaking passed the passenger diapghram thus causing the heating on the passenger side.
I have had the same problem. Lucky for me I have my own A/C manifold guages and know that the freon level is properly charged.
I've had the same problem on my other BMW's and it's always been the heater control valve.

Is this a hard installation? Where does it go? I'd like to do it myself without taking to the repair guys.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:45 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Air conditioner issue

Did you ever find out the problem with your issue of concern? Mine is doing the same thing on the drivers side.

Thanks,
Thomas of OKC
Old 06-12-2020, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Similar issue, I think...

My A/C is blowing very HOT air from left vents(2), and Ice cold from right vents(2).
I've verified all settings, and they're set to blow coldest air from all.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Smart Fortwo
Normally is the heater water valve.

In my case, it was the driver from IHKA.

Try to pinch completely the water hose from the auxiliary water pump.

06 750 Li, Clattering noise, suspect piston 2 hits head due to spun bearing.

03 760 Li,

coolant leak from back plate.

Random misfire codes.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto:
The same problem happened with me when I was in Dubai. I tried to contact the car dealer but I couldn't do that. So I contacted ac maintenance Dubai and they fixed this problem.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search