BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My Sick Bimmer!! Help!!

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  TRaV MaNN 
#1 ·
undefinedundefinedundefined

Whats goin on....

I own a 1997 318i 5-speed and just recently I have noticed whenever it is idoling, or when you push the clutch in and disengage the engine, the revs start falling and it kinda shakes and raddles. It only does it when the car is heated though. When you first start it up, the car is fine, there isnt anything wrong with the idol, but when the car is heated to its warmth, it starts to shake and rattle when the revs fall. My dad and I have been looking at it scratching our heads. At first we figured it was the throttle control valve, but there isnt one on my car. They changed it so it didnt have one. Than we were trying to figure out whether there was some sort of vacuum leak. Whenever you turn it off, you can hear some sort of pressure, like its letting air out somewhere. If anybody has any ideas please reply...Thanks alot!

#2 ·
Goonfab said:

Whats goin on....

I own a 1997 318i 5-speed and just recently I have noticed whenever it is idoling, or when you push the clutch in and disengage the engine, the revs start falling and it kinda shakes and raddles. It only does it when the car is heated though. When you first start it up, the car is fine, there isnt anything wrong with the idol, but when the car is heated to its warmth, it starts to shake and rattle when the revs fall. My dad and I have been looking at it scratching our heads. At first we figured it was the throttle control valve, but there isnt one on my car. They changed it so it didnt have one. Than we were trying to figure out whether there was some sort of vacuum leak. Whenever you turn it off, you can hear some sort of pressure, like its letting air out somewhere. If anybody has any ideas please reply...Thanks alot!
Yo I got a 96 318ic and havent had this problom but check for vaccum leaks and if no luck there try raising the idle.
hope dis helps :)

#5 ·
Goonfab said:

Whats goin on....

Have a diagnostic done on it. Theyll hook it up and the CPU will tell you what the prob is. It may be running too lean or you may have a major head problem as it sounds pressure related. Do this ASAP...

#6 ·
Check this link

Goonfab said:

Whats goin on....

"IT may also have to do with the fuel line intake. Here is a link that describes a recall that may be related: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/06/95067113.html"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.