Picture & amperage & description of every single fuse & relay in the BMW E39 - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
you'll have more chance of an answer in the f10 forum. This is forum focused on the e39, designed about 20 years before the f10.
thanks!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This question was asked again today, which was also asked a few times in this thread (where one person said to not bother to pull the cover off as the fuses can be accessed from the underside)...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Request clarification of what is inside the ebox under the passenger cabin air filter
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA525FREAK View Post
ok so how do you remove the cover of the fuse box for ef1-5?

Last edited by bluebee; 02-01-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:34 AM
RIP #9

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
All of the following is gleaned from BMW WDS, and is valid for cars with DME motor electronics MS43 and left-hand drive only.

EDIT - Fuses 1-5 = Bluebee's fuses EF1-5

Fuse 1 connects to the DME relay (DME box), Fuse 31 (glove box), and all 6 ignition coils.

Fuses 2, 3, and 4 all connect to the DME relay.

Fuse 2 also connects to the DME itself, along with the idle control valve, charcoal filter valve, VANOS inlet and exhaust valves, DISA valve, and SAS pump valve.

Fuse 3 also connects to the two camshaft position sensors, the MAF, crankshaft position sensor, and the thermostat.

Fuse 4 also connects to the 4 oxygen sensors, and the transmission control unit (automatics only, obviously).

Fuse 5 connects to Fuse 109 (under the passenger-side carpet), and the fuel injector relay (DME box).

The fuses are read left to right, just like the words "Motor-Sicherungen" -- which by the way translates from German to "engine security measures." Given the components that these fuses connect to, it's aptly named

Last edited by TheHockeytowner; 02-02-2015 at 10:34 PM. Reason: clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHockeytowner View Post
Fuses 1-6 = Bluebee's fuses EF1-6
Thanks for adding detail on those elusive fuses.
Just to reiterate for those not reading the whole thread, BMW calls them Fuse 1 through Fuse 5, but we already have another set of fuses that BMW calls Fuse 1 to Fuse 5, so, that's why I specifically label them here as Engine Fuse 1 through Engine Fuse 5.

Quote:
The fuses are read left to right, just like the words "Motor-Sicherungen"
Thanks for confirming that information, since, to my knowledge, while it's logical, nobody had confirmed that before.

We'll go with Fuse 1 being on the left, and Fuse 5 being on the right, and read the same way as the words stamped on the cover plate. Thanks for pitching in!

Last edited by bluebee; 02-03-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:34 PM
RIP #9

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Argh, there are only 5

Apparently I can't count, if it's past 2AM. Also, I didn't know I was late to the party, but that's what I get for not reading the whole thread
Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Argh, there are only 5
Thanks for noticing that I followed up on your 6 with 6 which I have subsequently fixed back to 5 (we both made the exact same mistake, even though we both knew it was 5).

Anyway, I just came here to update the thread on Fuse 53 (F53) information which was just posted today over here...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Fuse 53 keeps blowing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Door lock actuator, unplug one by one until you find the culprit.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...use-53-blowing
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaz1281 View Post
Accorging to Bentley manual. Fuse 53 FVZ (Remote entry) antenna amplifier,Tailgate lock switch,Central locking fueltank access door,Trunklid motor relay,Diversity and window motor relay .. Vol 2 Pg 610-33
Quote:
WDS schematics for F53 from 9/98 forward (didn't check, pre 9/98 may be the same.) There are Touring and non-Touring versions, which WDS seems to have swapped in the menu tree. I've corrected them here, I hope.

S167 rear lid lock switch is a component of the trunk lock cylinder in the rear lid. If memory serves, the switch that puts the car in valet mode when the lock is turned fully clockwise, i.e. horizontal. It is not the switch on the A-post near the driver's door nor the release switch over the licence plate.

The relays in the Touring schematic are for the rear lid/liftgate and rear window releases; not the optional automatic/power opening system.

Last edited by bluebee; 02-11-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:27 AM

BTW, there's an entire thread on removing both the ebox and the snap cover to the DME fuses EF1 to EF5 over here...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Request clarification of what is inside the ebox under the passenger cabin air filter
Old 04-17-2015, 03:19 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 520i
which one of these is for a 520i 1996 wiper relay this is mine https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/api...?dl=1429206887
Old 06-09-2015, 12:06 PM

This thread, while confusing, was updated today, and shows a complex situation related to the DME fuses, that others may benefit from...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Fuses under fresh air filter on E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztom View Post
Last night I worked on my car & I may have crossed wires on my O2 and this post (hopefully) shows the fuse I need to change since after the O2 was fixed, the fuel trim is running open loop. Thanks much, I think this is a valuable photo.

==

Also found this wiring diagram at..
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=41222&page=2
..not sure if applies for e39 528, looks to be a valuable thread.

..also contains this wire color cross reference, I think if hand-wiring an O2 sensor, not sure if correct..
Info compliments of Dale Burdette.

Added the O2 sensor wire colors to the following print.

-------------------------------X62xxx
Fuse 204 rt/ws = red/white---pin 1---Sensor ws = white
DME bn = brown---------------pin 2---Sensor ws = white
DME sw = black----------------pin 3---Sensor gy = gray
DMW ge = yellow--------------pin 4---Sensor sw = black

==

..also found this info at..
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=524363&page=2

Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
The fuse functions are in Bentleys, but depending on the year and model you have they don't always match the Bentleys description, see page 610-34.
This is fuse panel 3 for F1 to F5
According to Bentleys:
F1 open (no fuse)
F2 30 Amps, Fuel injectors, Engine control module
F3 20 Amps, Cam sensors, MAF, Crank Sensor, Thermostat
F4 30 Amps, Heated O2 sensors, Tranny control module
F5 30 Amps, Unloader relay, power to coils

Here is what my 2000 540/6 really has. (might be more that below, this is what I could trace out)
F1 30 Amps, MAF, Cam sensor #1, DME, T-Stat, Evap emission valve
F2 30 Amps, Fuel injectors, Both Vanos solenoids, Cam sensor #2, Secondary air injection pump electrical valve.
F3 30 Amps, Cam sensors, MAF, Crank Sensor, Heated O2 sensors.
F4 30 Amps, DME
F5 30 Amps, Unloader relay, power to coils

update - There is a 20A fuse in F3 and that was blown, so not like either of above. Replaced, clear codes, fuel loop working again. The fuse box is hard to work with, poor design IMO. First need to bend long plastic tab and lift the bezel up just enough so it doesn't reclip, then I needed needle nose pliers to grab the bezel and wiggle the fuse module up and out. Then to get the bezel off there's good photos here:
http://blog.bavauto.com/5677/bmw-e46...derhood-e-box/

..but I slid it off by prying sideways underneath. Inspected but really didn't see the actual tab or mechanism keeping it from sliding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Those fuses are for the DME and EGS (engine and transmission) computers if I understand what you are describing correctly. I would have it checked out, a couple popped fuses is one thing but a fried control module can be very expensive. Also your husband will eventually get sick of tearing into the car to get to the fuse.

Last edited by bluebee; 06-09-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528I
Still missing fuse # and location

As great is this post is I still cannot locate the rear door actuator fuse # My doors will not unlock with key. Thanks
Old 07-05-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog G View Post
As great is this post is I still cannot locate the rear door actuator fuse # My doors will not unlock with key. Thanks
I don't, offhand, know which fuse is for the "rear door actuator", but, all I did was look at post #1 and type /door f3, and this came up instantly:
Pressing the F3 key a few times only came up with the fuel door solenoid fuse, so, if you asked me, pure logic dictates I'd say it was F6, just like it says in the first post.
Clicking on the linked text brings up this, which seems to bolster that assumption.
Quote:
Fuse 6 @ 30 amp supplies the passenger door module power only for both windows and locking motor, no other door.

Try checking the fuse again &/or simply replacing it. Although rare, occasionally a fuse faults without a easily visible break in the link. Also check the terminals in the fuse block haven't pushed back/out, i.e. fuse actually enters the terminals.

The fuse 6 circuit enters the door via connector X256 pin 26. X256 is the one in the rubber boot at the A pillar to front of door. Should be 12V with key on.

If the fuse and X256 check out, check for 12 V on pin #1 of X889, the black 5 pin connector to the door module. Key on.

Grounding is via a block at bottom front of door and then pin 27 of X256. But since door light works this should be OK. Only a faint possibility of high resistance that allows light to work but not the window or lock motors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39 Buckeye View Post
... "rdl says fuse F6 supplies the passenger door module power only for both windows and locking motor, no other door". It's not just that rdl "says" that this is the case; it most certainly IS the case.

Having the socket for F6 backed out (thus effectively breaking that circuit) caused me absolutely no other issues besides loss of window and lock functions on the front passenger door.
After I followed his guidance and corrected the loose socket and reinstalled the fuse, my problem was rectified.

Fuse F6 most certainly supplies the power to the FR door module and nothing else.

My problem and resolution most certainly confirm that.
Of course, it's well known that lots of key-lock-related anomalies are due to the frayed trunk wiring loom:
- What electrical problems are related to a hidden but chafed trunk wiring loom (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 07-05-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528I
Once more

I am still at a loss I cshould have specifies it is the rear doors that will not unlock with key is this fuse for something like DM? for door module Thanks
Old 08-03-2015, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M5
Thanks for all the work that went into this but I think the person that said many of these things vary by year and manuf date had it right. I, for one, have a 4/1/02 e39 m5 in which I cannot locate the 8 pin fuel pump relay. Your pic of a 2001 shows it being behind the glove box but alas the pic looks nothing like what I am seeing. I tried RealOEM.com (a great resource I might add!) and while it has a picture of almost every relay's location the fuel pump relay shows only a schematic. Any help would sure be better than where I am now!
Old 11-25-2015, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i, 1997 Dinan 5
Undocumented starter relay

Long time lurker, new member, figured this was a good thread to start a new post.

I'm finishing up a 6 speed swap in my 01/1997 540 and have been unable to find any accurate starter relay location. It's not under the dash behind the glove box as is documented most places (including the WDS) so I traced back pin 1 off the EWS and found it. Pics and diagram below. The relay is in the ebox behind the DME. There is a bank of 3 relays and a fuse holder for the dme. 2 on the left, one on the right. Starter relay is at the far left.

This is originally an 01/1997 540iA and I'll be bypassing the dme and using the switched 12v off ignition pin 8 to feed the relay at pin 8 (85), and grounding pin 4 (86) which originally is a switched ground from the DME. Disconnecting the switched ground and using ignition leaves the relay in place but greatly simplifies the wiring involved.. This will basically reverse the relay to be switched from the ignition at pole 85 instead of the dme at pole 86.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter-relay1.jpg
Views:	1487
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	539941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay location.jpg
Views:	1568
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	539942   Click image for larger version

Name:	540i pre-facelift 01-97 Original.png
Views:	524
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	539943   Click image for larger version

Name:	540i pre-facelift 01-97 DME Bypass.png
Views:	727
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	539944  

Last edited by madhakish; 11-25-2015 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Trying to add pictures and failing
Old 06-04-2016, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 525tdi touring -02
525 TDi -02 touring park assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
EDIT: Added excellent fuse descriptions from Steve530 from post #4 on 3/3/2012.
EDIT: Added cross references to specific fuse-related posts by QSilver7, RDL, cn90, & JimLev 3/13/2013.
EDIT: Added nice closeup of EF1 to EF5 by tobesscooby 4/6/2013.
EDIT: Added better descriptions for F107 to F114 by rdl on 4/8/2013 (and added fuse amperages for the unknown fuses, again, as per rdl).

Let's see if we can list, describe, locate, and show a photo of every fuse and relay in the BMW E39, so that we all benefit.
Below, (from this quest to locate a parasite), is as far as I've been able to get detailing every single fuse in my 2002 525i.

(Note that F1 to F5 exist in two different locations, just to confuse you, so I'll refer to the ebox ones as EF1 to EF5, and the glovebox ones as F1-F5).

There are SIX fuse box locations in my 2002 BMW 525i E39 (here is a 1997 540i fuse location chart):
  • EF1 to EF5 <= at the back of the ebox under the passenger side cabin air filter housing (5 fuse spots)
  • F1 to F45 <= in the glove compartment top panel (45 fuse spots)
  • F46 to F66 <= directly above the battery (21 fuse spots)
  • F67 to F74 <= don't exist
  • F75 to F76 <= behind the glove compartment (2 fuse spots)
  • F77 to F99 <= don't exist
  • F100 to F106 <= above the battery positive terminal (7 fuse spots)
  • F107 to F114 <= under passenger side front seat carpet (8 fuse spots
IN THE White E-BOX UNDER PASSENGER SIDE CABIN AIR FILTER:
EF1 = 30A, MAF, Cam sensor #1, DME, T-Stat, Evap emission valve (some say it's 30A - DME, Injectors, SMG Hydraulic unit)
EF2 = 30A, Fuel injectors, Both Vanos solenoids, Cam sensor #2, SAS pump electrical valve (some say it's 30A - DME, Idle control valve, Fuel tank ventilation valve, Fuel pump)
EF3 = 20A, Cam sensors, MAF, Crank Sensor, Heated O2 sensors (some say it's 30A, others say 25A - E-box fan, Transmission RPM sensor, CPS, MAF sensor, Fuel pump relay, SAP relay, A/C Compressor relay, Fuel tank leakage diagnostic module, SMG selector lever)
EF4 = 30A, DME (some say it's 30A - Oxygen sensors and oxygen sensor heater circuits)
EF5 = 30A, Unloader relay, power to coils (some say it's 30A - Fuel injector relay)
IMPORTANT: The five EF fuses are NOT labeled! Only the values are labeled, but they are symmetric!
It turns out (later in this thread) that EF1 is the left-most fuse (left being defined by being able to read the MOTOR-SICHERUNGEN (aka "engine security measures") printing on the fuse cover itself).
Note: There is a black or white cap enshrouding the five ebox fuses EF1 to EF5, which needs to be removed as explained by RDL in this thread.

Photo below courtesy of JimLev shows the white cap still in place enshrouding the five ebox fuses:

---
IN THE ROOF PANEL OF THE GLOVEBOX:
F1 = 30A, Windscreen wiper
F2 = 30A, Headlight cleaning system, Windscreen washer system
F3 = 15A, Horn
F4 = 20A, Passenger comp/trunk lighting, Windscreen washer system
F5 = 20A, Sliding tilt/roof
F6 = 30A, Outside mirror adjustment, Central locking system, Window lift (rdl says fuse F6 supplies the passenger door module power only for both windows and locking motor, no other door; F6 enters the door via connector X256 pin 26.)
F7 = 30A, Cigarette lighter
F8 = 25A, ABS/ASC Control Module (Note: F8 was empty in my 2002 525i)
F9 = 15A, Air conditioner, Heated washer jets [JimLev says it handles the heated washer jets and the Check Control Module panel]
F10 = 30A, Passenger seat adjustment
F11 = 7.5A, Servotronic
F12 = 5A, Immobilizer
F13 = 30A, Driver seat adjustment, Steering column adjustment [JimLev says F13 goes to all of the motors in the drivers seat and the two steering column adjuster motors in a left hand drive gas engine E39 built after 9/'99] [cn90 shows an F13 trick here][cn90 says to prevent seat twist, pull this fuse]
F14 = 5A, Engine control
F15 = 7.5A, Diagnosis plug, Engine control (JimLev adds: Oil level sensor, Data connector under the hood next to the ABS module (no data conn after ~6/2000), Alternator, Temp switch in DME box for cooling fan in bottom of DME box, Range switch for automatic tranny)
F16 = 5A, Light module
F17 = 10A, ABS, Automatic stability control
F18 = 5A, Instrument cluster
F19 = 5A, (empty) Electronic damper control [QSilver7 says F19 is in-between the ignition switch and an unloader relay terminal 15]
F20 = 7.5A, Air conditioner, Heated rear window, Heater, Tyre pressure control system [JimLev says F20 and F105 power relay K201, which itself gets power from F75]
F21 = 5A, Anti-glare inside mirror, Driver seat adjustment, Garage door opener [JimLev says F21 also powers the current cutoff relay, garage door opener, rear view mirror, park distance control module, and the cig lighter relay]
F22 = 25A, Fuel pump
F23 = 7.5A, (empty in my 2002 525i) Heater, Rear centre arm rest
F24 = 5A, Instrument cluster, Shifting gate illumination, Tyre pressure control system
F25 = 7.5A, Multi-information display, Radio
F26 = 5A, Wiper Relay I & Wiper Relay II (Note: F26 was empty in my 2002 525i)
F27 = 30A, Central locking system, Window lift
F28 = 15A, (empty in my 2002 525i) Transmission control, diesel
F29 = 30A, Central locking system, Outside mirror adjustment, Window lift
F30 = 25A, ABS
F31 = 10A, ABS, Automatic stability control, Fuel pump
F32 = 25A, Active seat, Electric seat heating, Roller sun blind
F33 = Open (empty in my 2002 525i)
F34 = 10A, Heated steering wheel (empty)
F35 = 5A,(empty in my 2002 525i) Rear A/C blower
F36 = Open (empty in my 2002 525i)
F37 = 5A, Immobilizer
F38 = 5A, Horn, Shifting gate illumination
F39 = 7.5A, Charging socket, Courtesy mirror illumination [professorman says it's also for the glovebox flashlight charger]
F40 = 5A, Airbag, Instrument cluster
F41 = 5A, Brake light, Light module
F42 = 5A, Airbag
F43 = 5A, (Telephone), (On-board monitor), Radio, (Rear Washer) (Rear washer pump)
F44 = 5A, Multi-function steering wheel, MID, Radio, (Telephone)
F45 = 7.5A, Roller sun blind

IN TRUNK BATTERY COMPARTMENT:
F46 = 15A, Blower relay/Parked Car ventilation/Receiever, parked car ventilation (Note: F46 was empty in my 2002 525i)
F47 = 20A,(empty in my 2002 525i) Additional heater, independent heater
F48 = 5A, Anti-theft alarm system
F49 = 30A, (empty in my 2002 525i) Air suspension
F50 = 7.5A, (empty in my 2002 525i) Air suspension
F51 = 30A, (empty in my 2002 525i) Rear cigarette lighter
F52 = 30A, (empty in my 2002 525i) Cigarette lighter (AUS)
F53 = 7.5A, Central locking system [fuel door solenoid issue, which disables the central locking system] [JimLev adds Rear lid motor relay K70, Central locking & fuel door relay K121, Window motor relay K90, Diversity amp or antenna amp]
F54 = 25A, (empty) M5 Fuel pump
F55 = 20A, (empty) Rear washer, Rear washer pump
F56 = 30A, (On-board monitor), (CD changer), Radio, (Navigation system) [Black540eye adds On-board Monitor, Radio, Video Module, CD Changer, Amplifier, GPS Control Module, GPS Receiver]
F57 = 10A, (Telephone)
F58 = 10A, (On-board monitor), (Telephone), Radio, (Navigation system)
F59 = 20A, (empty) Trailer socket
F60 = 50A, (empty) Elecronic damper control
F61 = 5A,Park distance control module/ Seat heater switch, left rear/ Seat heater switch. right rear (empty in my 2002 525i)
F62 = Open (empty in my 2002 525i)
F63 = 7.5A, Radio relay/ Loud alarm relay/ Transparency relay/ Alarm control unit (empty in my 2002 525i)
F64 = 30A, On-board monitor/ Radio CD changer/ Amplifier/ GPS receiver (empty in my 2002 525i)
F65 = 10A, Transceiver (empty in my 2002 525i)
F66 = 40A, heated rear window

THESE DO NOT EXIST:
F67 = (does not exist in the E39)
F68 = (does not exist in the E39)
F69 = (does not exist in the E39)
F70 = (does not exist in the E39)
F71 = (does not exist in the E39)
F72 = (does not exist in the E39)
F73 = (does not exist in the E39)
F74 = (does not exist in the E39)

BEHIND GLOVEBOX (look from underneath):
F75 = 50A, Auxiliary fan (red) [QSilver7 says the aux fan is the electric fan in front of the radiator which also goes on when the AC is initiated.][bluebee removal hint]
F76 = 40A, Heater blower (yellow) [cn90 says it should have 12V when HVAC is turned on][QSilver7 says the heater blower controls the air velocity for the cabin/interior HVAC system.]

Neither of these huge fuses is easy to remove or put back (due to the cramped location), but luckily the yellow one is the one aft, which is easier than the red to remove.

THESE DO NOT EXIST:
F77 = (does not exist in the E39)
F78 = (does not exist in the E39)
F79 = (does not exist in the E39)
F80 = (does not exist in the E39)
F81 = (does not exist in the E39)
F82 = (does not exist in the E39)
F83 = (does not exist in the E39)
F84 = (does not exist in the E39)
F85 = (does not exist in the E39)
F86 = (does not exist in the E39)
F87 = (does not exist in the E39)
F88 = (does not exist in the E39)
F89 = (does not exist in the E39)
F90 = (does not exist in the E39)
F91 = (does not exist in the E39)
F92 = (does not exist in the E39)
F93 = (does not exist in the E39)
F94 = (does not exist in the E39)
F95 = (does not exist in the E39)
F96 = (does not exist in the E39)
F97 = (does not exist in the E39)
F98 = (does not exist in the E39)
F99 = (does not exist in the E39)

ABOVE BATTERY POSITIVE TERMINAL:
F100 = 200A, Fuse panel 4, F107-F114
F101 = 80A, Power supply for fuses F46-F50 and F66
F102 = 80A, Power supply for fuses F51-F55 [wiring diagram here]
F103 = 50A, Open
F104 = 50A, Unloader relay terminal 15
F105 = 100A [JimLev says F20 and F105 power relay K201, which itself gets power from F75] (rdl says his F105 is 100A)
F106 = 100A, F75, Engine cooling fan relay stage 3

UNDER PASSENGER SEAT: (see more details in this thread & this thread)
F107 = 50A, SAS airpump Special Fuse: BMW PN 6113836590 (rdl says it's the secondary air relay fuse)
F108 = 50A, [QSilver7 says this is for the ABS/DSC control unit] (rdl says it's the "motor relay") (rdl clarifies that the F108 "motor relay" fuse supplies ASC or DSC) (rdl says his F108 is 50A)
F109 = 80A, [QSilver7 says this is for the DME (motor electronics)] (rdl says it fuses the Ebox EF1 and the DME relay in the ebox) (rdl says his F109 is 80A)
F110 = 80A, Power supply F1-F12 and F22-F26 (rdl says this fuses about 17 fuses, up to F45) found in the glovebox)
F111 = 50A, Data link connector/ Ignition switch (rdl confirms this is the ignition switch fuse)
F112 = 80A, Light control module (rdl confirms this is the LCM fuse)
F113 = 80A, Power supply F13 and F27-F30/ Light Module (rdl says it fuses the LCM and several fuses in glovebox plus in some cars a "closed-circuit current cutout relay" which then feeds a fuse in glovebox)
F114 = 50A, Data link connector/ Ignition switch (rdl confirms this is for the ignition switch and diagnostic plug)

In addition, there is a 10A fuse on the back of the Radio/MID as per cn90 over here:
I dot find fuse for park assistant.
It's not working now for some reason
Old 02-14-2017, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto:
Excellent stuff! I don't have diagnostics and mechanic until at least Saturday. Does anybody have the most common causes on an E39 540i for a parasitic battery drain has I will have to do this manually trial & error to see if I can make any headway and maybe get lucky between now and Saturday?
TIA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 02-17-2017, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Fantastic job BlueBee! Thanks for your contribution. Electrical is not my strongest area so I am waiting on my mechanic (and this New England weather)

I wonder if you know what is responsible for what I believe is my e39 540i not going to sleep based on the lighted "P" on the shift gate doesn't go off after 16 minutes but yet instead blinks once every so often? What is this most commonly caused by?

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i 5 E39
Bluebee I/we cannot thank you enough for the many contributions you've given us here.
You've saved us from countless hours of looking for fuses and relays. I simply cannot thank you and the other great contributors enough.

Cheers
Old 01-07-2018, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: e39
A couple of (hopefully) helpful comments and a question or two:

* I think the figure below "ABOVE BATTERY POSITIVE TERMINAL" in post #1 needs to be modified. The arrows should all be shifted to the left by one location. In the text, the fuse denoted as F100 is listed as a 200A fuse. Clearly, the only 200A fuse in the figure is at the far left (inboard) position, not the second from left. Similarly for the fuse denoted F105 at 100A. It is clearly the sixth fuse from the left in the figure, not the seventh as indicated in the figure currently. Note that there are a total of eight positions, but, as here, the Bentley manual only labels seven of them (F100 through F106), but the Bentley manual starts at the far left position, not the second from the left, so in the Bentley it's the position on the far right that has no label. In my case, this position has a fuse in place, but there's nothing connected to it. Note also that the only labeling scheme on the car itself for these fuses numbers them from "1" to "8", starting at the right or outboard position. So F100 correspond to "8" and F105 corresponds to "3".
* While maybe it's already clear to everyone, there are at least two types of covers for the under-hood electronics box, one without hinges (as on my '99 528i) and one with hinges (as on my '03 530i, and as pointed out by one of the more recent posters).

Which leads me to my question. The reason I was looking into this was to track down a parasitic current draw on my '99 528i. In the end, I found that the load in question went through F105, which supposedly powers relay K201, which in turn powers the auxiliary fan. According to Bentley, and everything else I've been able to find, K201 is inside the under-hood electronics box, but this isn't the case on my car. There are exactly four relays in the box, which I believe are an unloader relay, wiper relay, fuel injector relay, and secondary air pump relay. In any case, pulling all four relays had no effect whatsoever on the current draw. In the end, I temporarily solved the current draw issue by unplugging the connector to the auxiliary fan itself. I would like to be able to locate the K201 relay so that I can tell if the problem lies with the relay or with the fan. Anyone have any suggestions on where to locate it?

-Doug

Last edited by dotrp; 01-07-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:01 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
We miss you blue,

you where a bad ass chick

15486372<-----
Old 04-29-2019, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: E39 530dAT 2001
She bought a Toyota.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: Two 2003 540i Msport's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
We miss you blue,

you where a bad ass chick
It's funny cause sometimes I read her threads, including her last one and think the same thing.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:58 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
I do no believe she bought a toyota, But went to the great bmw in the sky...

she was a real asset to the forum, more then i could have ever been.. Even though she lacked the technical knowledge.. She always pull thru with cross threading and double checking..

was the best damn thing this sub selection had

15486372<-----
Old 04-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2016 X5, 2006 M3, 2002 M5
That trunk fuse diagram was exactly what I needed. Miss you blue.

Wife's chariot - 2016 xDrive 3.5i, Sapphire over Black. M Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Driver Assist and Plus, Luxury and MultiContour Seats, Roof Rails, Harman Kardon
Old 04-30-2019, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 528i
Some say she is not on this earth anymore, dont know but I do know she will not be forgotten.

Last edited by 528iAut; 04-30-2019 at 03:11 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search