Lane departure correction far too severe - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 G05 (2018 - Current)

X5 G05 (2018 - Current)
G05 BMW X5 produced between 2018 to Current. Discuss the G05 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: Camry Hybrid
Lane departure correction far too severe

I drove 3 2020 BMW's recently. 2020 Series 5 and 2-each of the X5. The lane departure feature IMO is wholly unsatisfactory because it causes the vehicle to swerve back into the lane when I purposely (for testing) let it drift over the lane markers. No other brand I have driven exhibits such severe correction. I tried this numerous times on freeways, left and right of lanes, solid lines, broken lines, gentle curves, etc etc. Not once did it perform a correction maneuver in a satisfactory manner. On the last test drive the salesman wasn't sure if there was any setting to prevent such behavior. I'm shocked at this, as all other LD systems of other brands work just like I expect and with a far gentler correction to the center of the lane.

Is this just the way it is with BMW's? Or is there a setting on the dash to change that to more docile behavior. I do NOT want to simply shut off the feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 230i xDive
Yes there is a correction setting located under the car tab. You can changed the settings there to make the lane departure less aggressive or turn it off all together. I know I had to do it myself for the same reason your having.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:05 PM

By "less aggressive" does that mean that it will still notice when the vehicle drifts over the lane markers with the same degree of sensitivity, but won't turn the wheel so sharply, in order to correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 05:26 PM

Let me go into my settings tomorrow and see what I changed mine too. I believe BMW gives you the option of Light, medium, and high. I changed mine to light and if I remember right it still seemed agressive to me so I ended up turning if off. However the green lane departure light still illuminates if I travel out of my lane. I will confirm tommorow and let you know. The I7 control is laid out somewhat different then previous models I've had. To me a little more confusing. I've had to do a lot of trial and error to get things the way I want. Your local BMW dealership also has a BMW genius on hand that is very helpful when questions arise.

Last edited by hosed1; 02-11-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto:
As far as I'm aware and when I initially tested these options a year ago, the aggressiveness only refers to how CLOSE you are to the lines and WHEN it will correct. It does not refer to how sharp it jerks the car in the other direction.

So less aggressive means that it will let the car drift over the line before it jerks the wheel it in the opposite direction.

I hate it because at high speeds it feels like I'm about to flip the car over (2019 X5). The correction itself needs to be a lot more gradual. It is not a natural, easy correction.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:37 AM

Ok I tested it this morning. Go to car tab and select settings, then select driver assistant setting then select safety and warnings. There you can change the preference of control. I set mine to reduce control. It now's eases me nicely back into my lane without throwing me into a tree. Lol. It does work quite well on the 2020.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePenguin99 View Post
As far as I'm aware and when I initially tested these options a year ago, the aggressiveness only refers to how CLOSE you are to the lines and WHEN it will correct. It does not refer to how sharp it jerks the car in the other direction.

So less aggressive means that it will let the car drift over the line before it jerks the wheel it in the opposite direction.

I hate it because at high speeds it feels like I'm about to flip the car over (2019 X5). The correction itself needs to be a lot more gradual. It is not a natural, easy correction.
Thanks. That's my concern--that the jerky corrections aren't fixable. And if not, that is such a shame, given how generally refined the vehicle is.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosed1 View Post
Ok I tested it this morning. Go to car tab and select settings, then select driver assistant setting then select safety and warnings. There you can change the preference of control. I set mine to reduce control. It now's eases me nicely back into my lane without throwing me into a tree. Lol. It does work quite well on the 2020.
Awesome. (and thank you for checking it out!) If my last salesman had known the car better, I could have tested the feature more adequately during my road test. He also had a hard time from the passenger seat communicating with me how to set the adaptive speed-control so that I could see how it works when approaching a slower moving vehicle. I'm going to have to do quite a bit more road testing...
Old 02-12-2020, 07:14 AM

My wife just found a video of the feature, posted to Youtube Aug 2019, so not sure if it pertains to 2019 or 2020 vehicles. It indicates that changing the settings changes how often the system will intervene instead of either how aggressively it spots the lane markings, or how aggressively it steers back into the lane. It seems to muddy the purpose of the settings even more in my mind. In the words of the narrator, it will "by setting the warning level to "reduced", the system will intervene less frequently"

Is there a chance that what you changed this morning wasn't in the settings particularly for the lane departure, but some more general assistance settings?

Last edited by David_; 02-12-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
The only adjustment, I think, you have on the adaptive cruise control is your following distance. Keep in mind that there could be a slight delay if it first needs to detect a vehicle is there ahead of you that it was not 'seeing' previously, like if the road is open and you quickly came to a stopped vehicle. WHen it is 'following' a vehicle, it does quite well keeping the set distance.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 X5 40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
The only adjustment, I think, you have on the adaptive cruise control is your following distance. Keep in mind that there could be a slight delay if it first needs to detect a vehicle is there ahead of you that it was not 'seeing' previously, like if the road is open and you quickly came to a stopped vehicle. WHen it is 'following' a vehicle, it does quite well keeping the set distance.
Adaptive cruise is different than the lane departure. When enabled, the lane departure is active when the cruise is not engaged or the cruise is engaged using the mode without steering and lane control.

As far as the jerkiness is concerned, most seem to have the best results when set to early.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 9.14.34 PM.png
Views:	50
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	881755  
Old 02-14-2020, 06:10 PM

Seems this problem is very common. Many other people complain about the overly aggressive LD system.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 EBII 335i M-Sport
We just had our BMW Genius turn it off. It would have killed my wife. I think it still vibrates the steering wheel which is good enough for us.

2020 Blue X3 30 X MS & 2019 Black X5 X40i
BMWCCA # 381930
Old 03-06-2020, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2020 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosed1 View Post
These settings are for the lane departure and not the ASS lane change, as those setting have no effect on the aggressiveness of the ASS lane change, at least on my 2020.
2018 X3 M40i Glacier Silver Metallic (retired)
2016 X3 Black Sapphire Metallic (retired)
2014 535i (Mineral White) retired
2014 X3 (retired)
2011 535i (retired)
Old 03-06-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny184 View Post
These settings are for the lane departure and not the ASS lane change, as those setting have no effect on the aggressiveness of the ASS lane change, at least on my 2020.
Was just discussing this on another forum. The automatic lane change should be very smooth and gentle. If yours is not you should have your dealer take a look at it.

Here is a video I took of mine this morning, maybe you can compare to yours.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
Some people are really sloppy about signalling. Unless you activate the turn signal PRIOR to starting to make your lane change, the car will think you're drifting out of your lane and make a correction. I see so many people that, if they use their signals at all, are already turning prior to turning them on, or fail to use them at all. The car needs to know (as does anyone behind you!) that your intention is to change lanes. Could also happen if you're turning. It's signal, turn, not signal-turn, or turn-signal.

If that's part of the situation, try signal, turn and see if it's still an issue for you. You might have years of faulty learned operations to overcome. It might take awhile. It is likely even more of an issue if there's nobody around...many people don't use their signals under those circumstances. That doesn't work if you've got this enabled.

IOW, it may a normal situation...the car needs to know you're intending to turn, otherwise, it will try to keep you in your lane.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2020 X5
My post was just to point out that the suggestion posted by Hosed1 had no effect on the lane change with ASS. I believe that the distance control formulates how the lane change in ASS is activated. Single bar, pretty aggressive, four bars, not so much.
2018 X3 M40i Glacier Silver Metallic (retired)
2016 X3 Black Sapphire Metallic (retired)
2014 535i (Mineral White) retired
2014 X3 (retired)
2011 535i (retired)
Old 03-06-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny184 View Post
My post was just to point out that the suggestion posted by Hosed1 had no effect on the lane change with ASS. I believe that the distance control formulates how the lane change in ASS is activated. Single bar, pretty aggressive, four bars, not so much.
No, that is not how it works. I always drive at one bar and it is not aggressive at all.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:06 AM

I found it is much easier to disable this feature. However, when I am on vacation and need to be driving near 500-600 miles to my next motel, I activate it in hopes that if I feel tired that it may save my life and that of others as well. But driving locally or trips of 50 miles, I disable it. Kinda annoying.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:49 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Loaner has it, and I do not find it distracting or annoying.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 G05 (2018 - Current)
Today's Posts Search