BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

**Z4** DIY Guides (Post links here)

364K views 147 replies 40 participants last post by  1of3MRoadster 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This thread is meant to be Z4-specific. Post links and how-to's as replies to this thread. I/we will edit as needed.

This thread is NOT for questions. This thread is to post DIY or How-To's. If you have a question about your car, please start a new thread. Do NOT post your question here. Your post will be deleted in the interest of keeping this thread on topic.

If you have a question about a DIY posted here, feel free to ask away here or int he original thread.

#112 ·
Z4 headlight polishing

Hi all,

Since the headlights are off the car now, decided to get rid of the extremely annoying "milky" look. Although it was nothing to worry about, it drove me nuts. Not very well seen on the picture, though:

So I started with sandpaper grit 600:

Then grit 1200:

And, finally, grit 2000. Not sure it was absolutely necessary since I could see no difference between 1200 and 2000 but I did it nevertheless. After grit 2000, used an alumina-based commercial polishing product :

After polishing, used the wax from the kit:

And the final result:

You should count not less than 10 minutes per grit. I worked by hand, maybe if you use a vibro-polisher it would take way les time. After every grit, wipe carefully the surface and check for deep scratches left from the previous stages. Remove them by further sanding. Remember: sanding is the most critical stage! Failing to do it properly will result in visible scratches even after polishing, so be meticulous!
For polishing I used a general-purpose drill with variable rpms. This stage takes a bit more than 2-3 minutes and is very easy, there are very few things that can go wrong there.
If you have deep scratches on your headlights, start from grit 240 or so and continue the same way as described.

Good luck! :)

This post has been deleted
#115 · (Edited)
**Z4** How-tos (post links here)

Hi I have a BMW 2004 Z4 3.0 liter and I'm looking for the amplifier part number. My dealership is looking for $1200.00 and I'm trying to beat the price?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
See if your dealership accepts BMWCCA discounts. 20% off that price!

So net about $960.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#114 · (Edited)
Ship Killer's top motor replacement guides, guide on replacing the lift cylinders, and my DIY on relocating the pump motor to the trunk..........

Attachments

#117 ·
All,

This thread is NOT for questions. This thread is to post DIY or How-To's. If you have a question about your car, please start a new thread. Do NOT post your question here. Your post will be deleted in the interest of keeping this thread on topic.

If you have a question about a DIY posted here, feel free to ask away here or int he original thread.

#118 ·
I've essentially done a "rebuild" on the soft top on my car and here are the DIYs I've created as part of that work. I also relocated the pump to the trunk while I was doing this.

DIYs created:

Relocate pump motor to the trunk - Status: Posted
Replace your lift cylinders - Status - Posted
Replace your top canvas and headliner - Status - Under Construction

Attachments

#123 ·
Sticky Steering-Z4 2006 3.0si

I bought a complete steering column for a Z4 2008, 3.0si. After I received it I took it to a European Garage. They looked at the steering and said they couldn't satisfactorily install it since they did not put in"a Locking Key" before its removal. He told me to return it. My question is are they right that it can not be satisfactorily installed. Please advise

#124 ·
I bought a complete steering column for a Z4 2008, 3.0si. After I received it I took it to a European Garage. They looked at the steering and said they couldn't satisfactorily install it since they did not put in"a Locking Key" before its removal. He told me to return it. My question is are they right that it can not be satisfactorily installed. Please advise
Please start your own thread with this question. This entire section is ONLY for DIY items. Not questions.

This reply and you question will both be removed soon.

#131 ·
Soft top related: An easy way to reinsert 4 plastic clips that hold the rooftop stowage shelf.

I've been struggling with it myself and found that the easiest way to put them back in is from inside the car. When the roof is up you could observe the shelf behind the seats.
1. First, make sure from inside the trunk that the wires holding the shelf in place on both sides are firmly positioned inside the edges of the shelf in all four spots that require clips.
2. Make sure that the shelf is positioned properly in respect to the microswitch in the middle: test whether you can open/close the rooftop from panel controls.
3. Then, inside the car from behind the seats slide all four clips into their spots - effortlessly. You will feel a faint click when a clip is seated. That works for me but there could be a better way.