Facing the Beast - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-09-2019, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto:
Facing the Beast

I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks now after falling in love with the idea of buying a 2008-2010 335i. I want to get rid of my gas-guzzling truck and get something fun and better on gas. I have read all the posts about these cars coming with high maintenance costs so I'm wondering if I could get some help consolidating some info about up front maintenance/replacement parts when buying a used one. Basically, if you were to buy one with around 100k miles (hopefully less) and you were going into it with money dedicated to refreshing the reliability of the car without knowing if anything had already been repaired, which parts would you replace right away and what maintenance would you do while you had everything apart? Also are there any inexpensive upgrades you would do while elbow deep in this project?

I have a back up vehicle and I think the sheer fun of this car will be worth the up front work as I've never had a car as tunable as this. I would be doing all the work myself to save money and to learn about the car. I plan to do real mods and upgrades a little later.

So if you were going in blind to face the beast with a couple/few thousand dollars to prepare, what would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 04:58 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAC3 View Post
I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks now after falling in love with the idea of buying a 2008-2010 335i. I want to get rid of my gas-guzzling truck and get something fun and better on gas. I have read all the posts about these cars coming with high maintenance costs so I'm wondering if I could get some help consolidating some info about up front maintenance/replacement parts when buying a used one. Basically, if you were to buy one with around 100k miles (hopefully less) and you were going into it with money dedicated to refreshing the reliability of the car without knowing if anything had already been repaired, which parts would you replace right away and what maintenance would you do while you had everything apart? Also are there any inexpensive upgrades you would do while elbow deep in this project?

I have a back up vehicle and I think the sheer fun of this car will be worth the up front work as I've never had a car as tunable as this. I would be doing all the work myself to save money and to learn about the car. I plan to do real mods and upgrades a little later.

So if you were going in blind to face the beast with a couple/few thousand dollars to prepare, what would you do?
If it were me, I would:

- Change all fluids. This means engine oil, transmission, differential, transfer case, power steering, brake fluid, coolant.
- Change the spark plugs and ignition coils.
- Change the VCG and OFHG.
- Replace the battery.
- Take the car for carbon (walnut) blasting.
- Change the water pump and thermostat

Some of these things you could "wait until it fails", particularly the VCG / OFHG, and the water pump / thermostat. But you asked what I would do if I had disposable maintenance money, and these are the things I would do. FWIW, I've done everything on this list except for the water pump / thermostat.

If you're looking to mod this vehicle (which I wouldn't fault you for wanting to do), you NEED to make sure that maintenance is up to date BEFORE you do any mods or tuning. The biggest issue people run into is trying to mod or tune a vehicle that isn't up to date on maintenance. Then they have a bad experience and get angry and frustrated.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?

Last edited by Yukoner; 10-09-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335xi E90 manual
Most important thing is get a PPI. The problem that'll bite you the hardest is bad turbos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi
Agree with previous suggestions and might a few others:

New belt tensioner/idler puller/accessory belt. As the tensioner ages/wears, it starts to tilt until the belt eventually falls off.

Check for any oil leaks around 1) valve cover 2) oil filter housing. If the oil filter housing gasket leaks, the oil tends to end up on the accessory belt, leading to it's failure.

Good chance that original Bosch ignition coils have been replaced with Delphi's.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Why not do an oil change and then see how the BMW performs. I wouldn’t do the other things the same week I acquired the BMW. Just my thinking. Get some live data and feel for the vehicle before you go nuts. Make sure you have a good scanner. I wouldn’t spend the $3,000 to prepare unless I had a good idea of what was to come after unknown prep work.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 10-10-2019, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i convertible
I am not sure how much gas your truck guzzles, but a 335i is definitely not a fuel sipper. On my last fill up, my average was 13.5 mpg (city driving with a/c). If I am lucky, I will get 15 mpg (city driving without a/c).

My car is rated at 17 mpg (city) and 26 mpg (highway). I rarely drive highway miles, so I only have the city number to use as a comparison. I have never seen anything close to 17 mpg. I think those numbers come from tests in optimal conditions -- conditions that certainly don't exist in Southern California

However, the car is definitely fun to drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAC3 View Post
I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks now after falling in love with the idea of buying a 2008-2010 335i. I want to get rid of my gas-guzzling truck and get something fun and better on gas.

ED Pickup Date: 11/2/07
Departed Bremerhaven: 11/13/07 on the Hojin
Arrived at Port Hueneme: 12/6/07
Cleared customs: 12/14/07
Redelivery: 12/17/07

Old 10-10-2019, 10:52 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark963 View Post
Agree with previous suggestions and might a few others:

New belt tensioner/idler puller/accessory belt. As the tensioner ages/wears, it starts to tilt until the belt eventually falls off.
I knew I was forgetting something I had done. Yes, drive belt and tensioner should absolutely be replaced. They're pretty cheap items that can cause a world of headache if they fail.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 10-12-2019, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328
You're nuts . Spend some more $ and get a certified one from a dealer. Way too much $ on parts / fixing stuff that when your done you could have saved yourself the headaches if bought certified. They will fix any of those issues.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search