BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Amsoil transmission fluid

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  mreric 
#1 ·
I found one more transmission fluid where there viscosity levels are very close to lifeguard8 fluid

anyone has tried the AMSOIL OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...c-automatic-transmission-fluid/?code=OTLQT-EA

Lifeguard 8
Viscosity, 26 mm2/s (40°C)
Viscosity 5,6 mm2/s (100°C)
Pour point <= -42 °C
Flash point >= 206 °C

Amsoil
Viscosity, 28.3 mm2/s (40°C)
Viscosity 5.8 mm2/s (100°C)
Pour point <= -48 °C
Flash point >= 210 °C

the next close one is Valvoline

Valvoline

Maxlife ATF
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt 28.82
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt 5.91
Viscosity Index 156
Specific Gravity @ 60°F 0.843
Pour Point, °C, -48
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, cP 10200
Flash Point, COC, °C 202

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi I just changed my fluid Lifeguard 8 around 100k miles. Lots of metal in the pan on the magnets and really glad I replaced all that crap.

If I was only going to do it once at 100k I would use the Lifeguard fluid. If I was intending to go on regular interval changes like non lifetime fluid I would deffinately consider the ams fluid and others but when the clutch packs get old they need a certain amount of friction material in the fluid. There are even additives if the trans starts to slip you can add and prolong the life of the transmission. It is more likely that this will be needed if you are changing the fluid more often later on in the high mileages vehicles.

Other than that, I don't see a reason personally not to use the ZF8 specifically designed for the transmission. Viscosity values only tell you one part of the story but even the manufacturer ZF themselves recommend changing it although at high intervals, however BMW says not to. This is likely based more on marketing than on engineering reasons.

#3 ·
i have used Valvoline on my mazda for over 10 years and 260K on the same tranny, i tend to change fluid often to make may car last and problem free. every 30k

at $22 a liter it would make it very expensive for ZF stuff.

valvoline is $5 a qt. my plan was to do the same for BMW.

#4 ·
i have used Valvoline on my mazda for over 10 years and 260K on the same tranny, i tend to change fluid often to make may car last and problem free. every 30k

at $22 a liter it would make it very expensive for ZF stuff.

valvoline is $5 a qt. my plan was to do the same for BMW.
Agreed on the price. It seems like a huge ripoff. Are you planning on changing the filter as well? The pan/filter setup they have is pretty expensive to change often. Mine was totally saturated with metal particles on the magnets. I took a picture and touched a magnet, and wiped the metal smear around on the bottom of the pan to see the color. I was surprised to see so much metal powder but it shifts great still.

Attachments

#5 ·
i am not sure yet, i might do it once. and never again and just keep performing drain and fill every year.

I tend to keep car over 200k..

I have mazda using this same valvoline maxlife, drain and fill once a year. i have never replace the serviceable filter in it. i now have 260k on that car and keep shifting strong.

but there was lots of people using it in the mazda community giving me confirmation that it works.

as for bmw owners... most are not willing risk it or try it. there is only one other owner daring enough to try it and has reported success.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.