Brakes - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Brakes

Folks - Looks like I'm in need of new rotors and pads on all 4 corners

Where are you folks ordering from ? I looked at FCP Euro but they don't have the front rotors ? Only 4 options for the rear

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335xi
I buy Brembo rotors at Canadian Tire. They sometimes have a buy one get the other one 50% off deals. Then I get the pads at either Bavauto.com or the stealership. I don’t put wear sensors on. I “shorted” the ones on the car right now to fool the computer that they’re new. I just feel that I don’t need them as I have my own lift at my workplace and I check the brakes often.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 02-26-2019, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1
StopTech slotted rotors and Hawk pads for me, but I was looking for something to handle heat better since I track my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_H View Post
Then I get the pads at either Bavauto.com
Bavauto sounded good. Yeah. Then the shipping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bav.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	841819  

Old 02-26-2019, 07:14 PM

Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
Bavauto sounded good. Yeah. Then the shipping

Right. They only ship free within the USA. I get around that because I visit family often there and I get items shipped to their place.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by Matthew_H; 02-26-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_H View Post
I buy Brembo rotors at Canadian Tire. They sometimes have a buy one get the other one 50% off deals. Then I get the pads at either Bavauto.com or the stealership. I don’t put wear sensors on. I “shorted” the ones on the car right now to fool the computer that they’re new. I just feel that I don’t need them as I have my own lift at my workplace and I check the brakes often.
So the rotors from CTire are $104.99 each, on sale right now. Even if I do that and buy the pads elsewhere (which will then generate a shipping charge), I'm only looking at saving MAYBE $80.00 on the whole package, as opposed to ordering a complete kit (pads, rotors, senors) from RockAuto (Z23 Evolution Geomet kit).

..... Sigh. lol

Old 03-07-2019, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325 XI Wagon
Back when brake drums and expanding shoes were king, the Europeans came up with the disk brake idea (Rotors and pads) It was heavily promoted in the US motor press that with disk brakes, all you needed to do was flip the calipers out of the way, pop in a new set of pads and be on your way. Cheap date. In practice, you can't get away with just new pads. They want to replace rotors no matter how good they might be.

In 1986, I had a 1986 Volvo 240DL wagon. Before the pads started scratching the rotors, I went to the dealer and asked to have just the pads replaced. They were barely worn. You'd think that I asked them to give up their first born son child, They refused to do the job if they couldn't replace the rotors with new ones unless I signed my life away. Which I did and never had any problems. I owned many Ford E-150 work vans for my business. Those rotors had a tendency to overheat and create hot spots and iron nodules on the rotors. They had to be replaced.

So after all of the hype over the savings advantages of disk brakes and just changing pads, what happened? Is this just another example of there should be a requirement for the jar of Vaseline and the trousers with the whole in the back? With my Ford vans, anything over 25,000 miles was a rotor and pad replacement job. It needed it. My 2014 X-1 has plenty of pads left. No warning lights, no grinding rotors. Not even the pulsating of the brake pedal you get when the pad linings are almost gone. But the shop I went to says they only replace the whole works.

I'm not going back to the dealer because they seem to always forget to reset the service counter and I get warning about every 3 or 4 thousand miles that I need more service. At 75 years old, I don't drive this car like I might have at age 20. I don't use my left foot to use the brakes. My brake lights aren't constantly flashing like I see some drivers do. If someone wants to beat me to the next light, I just laugh at them. With the price of gasoline, knock thine self out.

Just curious.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
I'm with you. I had F150 that ran tight calipers and by time you got to it it was scoring rotor some. No problem, just put in new pads, and cleaned it up.

As to X1 s28i I caught rears half worn, and put $32 Centric ceramic Posi-quiet.

Works great, and less grabby.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:37 PM

Rock Auto has stop tech parts on sale now.

Of course when one finds the part numbers Googling them will give many sellers and prices.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:45 AM

Makes sense to me. If the rotors are "true" and not crooked or have iron hot spots, why grind them and resurface them? There's instructions now all over on how to break in just pads to existing rotors. Some of these Auto repair places are just licenses to steal from the public.

Anyone have any idea about what BMW says about the subject? I mean, anyone careful enough to change pads before they are grinding the rotors with the steel backing plates for the pads should be rewarded. Not penalized. I might have to go back to Fords. At least they give you the jar of Vaseline and the trousers with the hole in the back.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:55 AM

My first E-150 Ford Van, 2004 ran tight pads on the rear. The first car I ever owned that wore out the back brakes first. And it wasn't from forgetting to take the E-Brake off. Just a ****ty proportioning valve.

Buying car is just another way for the crooks to get their hands in your pockets.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
Rock Auto has stop tech parts on sale now.
Seen that, and they're a good deal, shipping is still really high though

Old 03-11-2019, 01:37 PM

I just picked up pads from the stealership for $264 CAD .... which is still cheaper than the shipping these sites have lol.

My replace front pads light came on which I found odd as when I inspected this thing just a few months prior it still had 7mm of pads. I did a quick visual and it still looks like 7mm ... until I took the tires off under suspicion that the sensor broke off when I drove it in a snow storm. Turns out the pads on the INSIDE were worn. So it’s a full brake service for me sometime this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 03-11-2019, 10:49 PM

It was always my experience with my Ford disk brakes that it was the inside that had the wear. It had something todo with the location of the piston on the caliper and how it pushes against the rotor. But the inside always gets the most wear.

Interesting that your fronts went first. My 2004 Ford van was the first with disks on the rears. The proportioning valve was putting more pressure on the the rear pads went way sooner because the brake proportioning valve was putting way more pressure on the rear than the front.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icesailor View Post
It was always my experience with my Ford disk brakes that it was the inside that had the wear. It had something todo with the location of the piston on the caliper and how it pushes against the rotor. But the inside always gets the most wear.

Interesting that your fronts went first. My 2004 Ford van was the first with disks on the rears. The proportioning valve was putting more pressure on the the rear pads went way sooner because the brake proportioning valve was putting way more pressure on the rear than the front.

This is actually my 2nd brake change. The first ones wore a bit more evenly. My rear brakes are due soon as they’re at 5mm and they actually wore evenly. Perhaps I just had a warped rotor.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Inside gets wear because the caliper pins hold caliper tight, and inside pads push, but caliper has to slide to equalize piston force on outside pad.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:29 AM

That's why you need to keep the surface that the caliper slide in and out on clean. If you don't, it might not retract fully and leave the pad to rub on the disk. I've seen some just push the piston back, flip the caliper over so they can get the assembly off, slap new pads in and put it all back together. There are no retractor springs like there were on drum brakes. Especially the rear ones that get the most road wash.

JMO.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:36 AM

5MM left on the pads when you replaced them? That's barely worn. That's a 1/2 a CM. If you had 5 mm of pad left, you certainly didn't need new rotors. No wonder these Stealerships are roiling in money. Do you have any idea how thick the wear surface is on a new set of pads? I don't. And I don't have a set to compare using my inch/metric rule.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
5MM left on the pads when you replaced them? That's barely worn. That's a 1/2 a CM. If you had 5 mm of pad left, you certainly didn't need new rotors. No wonder these Stealerships are roiling in money. Do you have any idea how thick the wear surface is on a new set of pads? I don't. And I don't have a set to compare using my inch/metric rule.

I change mine at 4-3mm. Pad thickness depends on the brand. I work as a Toyota dealer mechanic and brand new Toyota pads are at 10-11mm new, then we call for replacement at 4mm and lower as they don’t have wear sensors. BMWs are slightly thicker at 11-12mm new. The biggest pads I’ve dealt with were on a Bentley Continental flying spur. They were also 12mm but the surface area of it! They make the Toyota Tundra ones look tiny. And the rotors had a bigger diameter than wheels of my then-Honda.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:26 PM

There's a big difference between 5 mm and 4-3 mm.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:54 PM

Update - I ordered from RockAuto. I couldn't get a better deal anywhere else, TBH. Went with the PowerStop Z23 Evolution Sport kit. Rotors, pads, sensors. See image. Still mad about the shipping costs, but it did include the import fees, so.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brakes.png
Views:	91
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	844143  

Old 04-12-2019, 11:21 AM

UPDATE: Brakes arrived and have been installed. Pictures attached. So far, VERY happy with them. They're smooth and quiet. I'm still breaking them in, so not sure if stopping distance is better, worse or on-par with OE, but I don't really care at this point because they're better than the pulsating garbage that I bought the vehicle with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190410_180239.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	847647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190410_182835.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	847649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190410_182845.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	847651  

Old 04-13-2019, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto:
I remember back in my vw Jetta days. The new brembo disc was 12 mm and the wear limit 7 or 8mm. So there was never a chance to reuse them .

My Porsche 944 was used very hard and over 120 130 mph a lot. I ended up spending some big money on ceramic racing brakes . The brakes were amazing, but the pads did not work at all until you got heat in them. So I managed to still use the car on the street , but nobody else drove my car.

Brakes wear and parts cost money , but is there a better place along with tires and steering to put your money ?? When I was a lot younger I learned that when I had great tires and brakes I dont hit things with the car.. I like that a lot.

Last edited by targaone; 04-13-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaone View Post
When I was a lot younger I learned that when I had great tires and brakes I dont hit things with the car.. I like that a lot.
It is true !

I have to say, I'm very happy with these brakes so far.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search