Cabin air filter & air filter - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X1 - Volvo XC60
Cabin air filter & air filter

Years ago when cars were simpler, I seemed to do a lot of the maintenance myself. Now I don't. I am scheduled to go in for an oil change and believe it is time for a cabin air filter and engine air filter (22,000 miles). They both look reasonably simple to install.

If you have done it, was it fairly simple and where and what brand of filters did you purchase?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickkassem View Post
Years ago when cars were simpler, I seemed to do a lot of the maintenance myself. Now I don't. I am scheduled to go in for an oil change and believe it is time for a cabin air filter and engine air filter (22,000 miles). They both look reasonably simple to install.

If you have done it, was it fairly simple and where and what brand of filters did you purchase?

Thanks for the help.
It is super simple to install both the cabin filter and engine air filter.
Just order them from amazon. (Mann filters are popular)

Simple clips for the engine air filter, and a few screws for the cabin filter which is just below the windshield inside the engine bay.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X1 Xdrive E84
oil changes are super easy as well, save you hundreds, thousands over the life of the car.

you also do not need a computer to reset the reminder.

buying a few jack stands and jack or ramp still cheaper then the labor they charge for a simple oil change service....

after you have done it a few time you can do it in 30 min... less time then the drive to the dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 12:58 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreric View Post
oil changes are super easy as well, save you hundreds, thousands over the life of the car.
I don't disagree, but what do you do with the used waste oil ?

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 04-16-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
I don't disagree, but what do you do with the used waste oil ?
I am not sure how it is in Canada, but in my State of California, every auto part store, walmart takes your recycle oil for free.

in my city you can also schedule a pick up of the oil - all free.

i have 16qts pan. for about 3 oil changes.

Last edited by mreric; 04-16-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:37 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
I am not sure how it is in Canada, but in my State of California, every auto part store, walmart takes your recycle oil fro free. in my city you can also schedule a pick up of the oil - all free. i have 16qts pan. for about 3 oil changes.
TANSTAAFL!. California will soon legislate OCI. State fleets are required to manufacturers OCI.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Cabin (HVAC) & engine air filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
It is super simple to install both the cabin filter and engine air filter.
Just order them from amazon. (Mann filters are popular)

Simple clips for the engine air filter, and a few screws for the cabin filter which is just below the windshield inside the engine bay.
Cabin Air Filter is super easy - a few bolts under hood. Good time to clear any winter debris (leaves, etc) that may have collected there. Can't remember what on-line store I bought mine from - it's a Mann / "Carbon Activated" (OEM QUALITY). There are cheaper ones out there but most are plain paper.

Did the engine air breather filter a couple years back - also super easy.

You can grab instructions and parts info by searching your specific model here:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Old 04-16-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I am not sure how it is in Canada, but in my State of California, every auto part store, walmart takes your recycle oil for free.

in my city you can also schedule a pick up of the oil - all free.

i have 16qts pan. for about 3 oil changes.
Heh, nooooooo, not here. You have to pay to dispose of waste oil and there are strict regulations around it. That's why I don't do my own oil change - too much hassle moving around waste oil and paying to get rid of it.

That's awesome that it's a pre-paid service in CA (I assume it's prepaid, like when you pay a tire disposal levy when you buy new tires).

Old 04-17-2019, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Did my own cabin and air filters last year as the free maintenance on my X1 was over. Got mine from RockAuto. Lots of choices but I got Mann filters. Pretty easy.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Heh, nooooooo, not here. You have to pay to dispose of waste oil and there are strict regulations around it. That's why I don't do my own oil change - too much hassle moving around waste oil and paying to get rid of it.

That's awesome that it's a pre-paid service in CA (I assume it's prepaid, like when you pay a tire disposal levy when you buy new tires).
is free here, my guess is that when i buy oil from any retailer money is coming out from the purchase to fund that program.

i was googling this subject and found that that in Canada is also free in many places.

http://usedoilrecycling.com/
Old 04-17-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
is free here, my guess is that when i buy oil from any retailer money is coming out from the purchase to fund that program.

i was googling this subject and found that that in Canada is also free in many places.

http://usedoilrecycling.com/
Yeah, so in Alberta for example:

Eligible Products and Fees
The environmental fees Albertans pay when purchasing new lubricating oil and oil filters, ranging from $0.05 to $1.00, are used to help fund the cost to recycle them. There are 230 recycling depots (collection sites) across the province where you can take your used oil materials so they can be recycled in an effective, secure and environmentally safe manner.

No such thing here in the Yukon

Old 04-17-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, so in Alberta for example:

Eligible Products and Fees
The environmental fees Albertans pay when purchasing new lubricating oil and oil filters, ranging from $0.05 to $1.00, are used to help fund the cost to recycle them. There are 230 recycling depots (collection sites) across the province where you can take your used oil materials so they can be recycled in an effective, secure and environmentally safe manner.

No such thing here in the Yukon

will this work for you?

https://yukon.ca/en/waste-and-recycl...azardous-waste
Old 04-17-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
In theory yes, but the territorial run transfer stations don't exist in the city (municipality) I live in. So it would be quite a long drive to haul it out there. Meaning it would only make sense if I stored a few oil changes worth before driving it out there. Which is a huge liability if it ever spilled (environmental remediation easily bankrupts most middle class families).

Old 04-17-2019, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
British Columbia, Canada has pretty good oil recycling stations.
I can go to my transfer station to drop off paper products, grass clippings, old batteries, old propane tanks etc. ....
and dump my used oil. They also have bins for oil filters and used coolant products.

I'm happy I have a truck to do all this stuff.
(not sure I would be confident putting a full bucket of oil in the back of my X1)

What's funny about this thread is that there is no recycling for old air filters. They go to the land fill.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search