05 545i Transmission Surging Issues help! - Page 43 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 745li
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzy23 View Post
Hello members, this forum is so valuable... I've read this thread from start to finish. I have a 2005 525i with 74K miles on it that started exhibiting the symptoms every e60 owner has experienced . My issues started at 52K miles soon after my factory warranty was over. I've lived with this issue for quite some time until I decided to take it to an Indy. He recommended a tranny service and boy was that the worst thing I could have done. The problems became way worst, to the point that it would always go to limp mode around 30-40 mph if I pushed it. His recommendation is my tranny needs replacement, after he swore that the tranny was good, no burnt oil, no metal shavings. No one in the WPB area wanted to touch the ZF tranny. Until I found a mechanic that used to work for BMW, he test drove my car and told me immediately that it seems like a valve body issue. he recommended a rebuild, after some thought I decided to buy a valve body from sonnax that comes pre-programmed and completely upgraded. Im now in that waiting period to getting the job done so I can be another success story that put new life on my beloved e60 that I've had since new.
Sorry for the long post ...I will be back to post results.
Hey did rebuilding your valve body solved your problems ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2018, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530 Xdrive
I dont think its the transmission. I've been having the same problems at low rpm's " around 1500rpms ". I changed my Disa valve and sure enough it was broken, but the problem was still there. Hooked up INPA and cleared all my adaptions in DME and the hesitation / surging was gone. It pulls harder than ever, so I recomend doing that. You can clear your adaptions for your transmission aswell, but I didnt need to do that.

Turn on ignition "position 2" but DONT have the car running.
Connect INPA
F4 - E60
Choose Engine - MSV 70.0 For N52 (my engine)
F8 - Adaption
Shift + F9 to clear all adaptions.
Close INPA

Shut down the car for about 30 sec, turn the ignition on "position 2" have it on for about 30 seconds. This is for the throttle to find its position again. Turn ignition off again for about 30 sec.
Start the car, If you have any codes, shut down the car and erase codes with INPA, start up again. Good as new Im telling u guys, this really works.

Another thread with the same problem and the same fix https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=980293&page=2 ( POST 32 ) .

Last edited by Mulisha_; 04-21-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 525i
Overheating

Hello,

I don't use my car very often its usually park in the garage. Yesterday I drove it out and just about 5 minutes after I got on the street it gave me a overheat warning. Do you guys have any suggestions???? 525i - 2007
Old 07-28-2018, 09:34 AM
HeliCam

Mein Auto: 525iT
I experience the trans fault under load in 6th. I can hear a whining noise just before the car goes into limp mode and I have to pull over and restart to clear the fault.

What I've been doing is switching to Sport mode and down shifting to 5th to deal with the load the back to 6th. I now know not to load up 6th. It stay in regular drive mode, but when I need power Sport mode manual shifting is my temp fix.

2007 530xi
Old 07-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 745li
Just a update got my valve body rebuilt by sonnax, reset adaptions with INPA and my problems have completely gone. My car feels like brand new and shifts smoothly. My surging issue has also gone. Just make sure you reset your adaptions once you install back your valve body cause I didnt reset it at first cause I thought the car would automatically relearn but it didn't so I suggest reset the adaptions once completed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-17-2019, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 06 530xi
I'm late to the game here but I have an 06 530xi that I purchased around 3 years ago. I noticed early on that as the gears progressed during acceleration, there was point where I would feel what I called "bumping". This would last a few seconds and then stop. Only code in the memory was a water pump speed error or similar. Took to the dealer and was told that the water pump did need to be changed. They said this could be the cause of the "bumping" by sending errors to the MCU. $1600 later the the problem still existed. They tried many things that they did not charge me for as they could tell I was not happy. Smoke check. Nothing. Replaced outside temp sensor. Nothing. I decided to live with it as it was not causing any obvious issue. I just purchased new wheels and tires last week and this condition disappeared. Now I cannot prove this fixed it but the problem was gone when I picked up my car. My engineer brain always told me that if this "bumping" was not a real problem, This car can detect if a bird craps on the windshield (not really but you know what I mean) and I would be getting codes. To me the bumping was was not a symptom of a problem but a response from the MCU. Looking back now I remembered that the previous owner, who had never had this problem, had just replaced one of the wheels and bought a new tire. The wheel was pitted around the bead allowing a constant tire leak that ruined the tire. My hypothesis is that the MCU was sensing some mismatch or rotation speed variation from the new wheel and tire and overcompensating on the X-drive control. I could be totally wrong but...this could be a good excuse to buy new wheels and tires. Just sayin"!
Old 02-04-2019, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 520d 2009
Hi I drive 520d e60 2009 model I have same slugging gearbox 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm can you guys pls me

Sent from my vivo 1804 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 02-04-2019, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 520d 2009
Sir when the car in running 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm. rpm is comming down and the car is not responding when I am pressing the acselator then it is going going? Is there any gearbox problem

Sent from my vivo 1804 using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
advice, bmw 5 series, issues, tranny problems

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search