Programming new Key Fob - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-14-2017, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Programming new Key Fob

As you read the title, I'm sure you'll grown because this seems like a topic that has been covered 50 times. But I didn't get the answer I was looking for, so here goes.

2009 M5. No Comfort Access. My 2 year old seems to have taken the key and has lost it. I have ordered another key off of Amazon. I need to get it programmed and am searching for the procedure. I have seen responses that have half of what I need, or people not actually answering the question.

Here are the conditions. I only have 1 working key. That key is in an unknown place. The door is fortunately unlocked. I've ordered a replacement and it's on its way. How do I program the new key fob? I understand some procedure involving inserting the key into the fob ignition, or something similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 535 xdrive
Here is the answer - a key ordered from Amazon will not work in your car. There is no way to program it so it will work. The only place to get a replacement key for your car is from BMW.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
As far as I know, BMW is the one that programs your key to your car. I was just at a dealer yesterday talking about something and randomly brought up keys they said it's arounx $200.

I'm not sure if it can program a key with Carly or other softwares like you can with batteries, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
I can get the physical key cut, I just need it to start the car at this point.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
There is no possible way to program an ebay key. You got hosed by the seller. BMW dealerships don't even have the ability to program the keys. The only thing the dealership can do is unregister a lost key. You have to go to the BMW dealership with a Photo ID and your Registration, they order the key from BMW and ship it to the dealership. The dealership unregisters the lost key and registers the new key, Each Footwell Module contains lets say 10 hardcoded keys and only 2 can be active at a given moment. You start with key code 1 & key code 2, you loose key code 1, keycode 1 is unregistered, BMW ships keycode 3, dealership registers keycode 3. These are preset registered key codes based on the VIN of the vehicle, BMW dealerships doen't know what the key codes are, they simply select what keycode # BMW tells them the key will work with.

These keys are 2 way communication devices, unlike most keyless access systems. There is no generic frequency or programs they run on. This is to prevent Car Theft, as in the only way to steal a modern BMW is to have one of the registered keys. This way a guy cant swipe your keys, copy the program, duplicate your key and drive off.

Dealership is your only option. Don't be fooled. There is no cheap way around this.

Sorry for the bad news but honestly you own a $90,000 vehicle, what's $500.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto:
yup yup, my Indy ordered mine according to vin # with cut key and all, 280 out the door
1965 Chevelle Malibu SS Convertible, Weekend Warrior
Old 11-15-2017, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
Argh. I accidentally tossed one of mine in the garbage (don't ask...), so I only have one key.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: E36 318is
Incorrect Answers

The above answers are, of course, incorrect.
Assuming the key you bought on Amazon comes with a BLANK/Virgin transponder chip, then you CAN purchase a programmer and write the new key into the CAS.
If it doesnt come with a virgin transponder chip, you can de-solder the transponder and solder in a virgin one.

ALSO,.. ensure the transponder is the correct model.

As far as programmers go... dont buy a Hitag or similar device that 'clones' keys unless you have a CAS1 or CAS2 key... OR a CAS3 key without any encryption. Either way, you dont have a key to copy so this method is a moot point anyway.

I suggest buying BMW Multi Tool (~$800 USD). There are other key programmers out there that will also get the job done but, either way you look at it, the programmer will run you north of $500. The BMW Multi Tool will allow you to add the key into the CAS and also remove or mark you old one as invalid.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
lol ok... 800$ program for a 180$ from the dealer....

rofl you literally have me laughing

anyway... 780 it works like this, proof of ownership, license you can do it all online, or you can just call your local bmw parts department, you will be dealing with the dealer here.. No way around it...

the last 7 of your vin, and they will send you or you can pick it up.. a brand new key that will start your car..

end of story.. everything else is Bs...

people selling keys, people programing keys... all of it bs..

same goes for tumblers and cylinders

several people use https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/ they are out of ohio, so i dont know the turn around,

I had used my local dealer, and it was about 190$ for the key shipped to my house

15486372<-----
Old 09-07-2019, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: E36 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
lol ok... 800$ program for a 180$ from the dealer....

rofl you literally have me laughing
I'm not sure why this is funny to you?! My comment was simply that the people posting above were wrong. They didnt make the statement that it wasnt economical, they made the statement that it wasnt possible..... which is false. Even your comment of 'no way around it' is false - we're in 2019 here... surely you dont believe that BMW keys are magical and only 'registered' BMW dealers have the Harry Potter spells to make them,... do you!?!?!?

Regarding economy by the way,.. Everyone has different motivation and different local pricing. For example, local BMW dealers here in Ontario want $450 to $500 CAD per key. I personally own 4 BMW's. If I were to buy a spare key for each car then I'd be out of pocket $2,000 for the four keys from ANY BMW dealer throughout Ontario.

Independent guys charge half of that but I'd still be out $1,000. Instead, I bought virgin keys at $18 each from China, a Used BMW multitool, a cheap Vertical key cutting machine for ~$750 all in. I saved a bit of money compared to getting it done with an independent locksmith that has a VVDI programmer or similar,.. and now I own a BMW multitool in the event that I buy another BMW, or one of my friends or clients need keys (I own a single bay shop).
Old 09-07-2019, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmw View Post
Independent guys charge half of that but I'd still be out $1,000. Instead, I bought virgin keys at $18 each from China, a Used BMW multitool, a cheap Vertical key cutting machine for ~$750 all in. I saved a bit of money compared to getting it done with an independent locksmith that has a VVDI programmer or similar,.. and now I own a BMW multitool in the event that I buy another BMW, or one of my friends or clients need keys (I own a single bay shop).
PM me with your coordinates. I have two with a single key each......
Old 09-13-2019, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto:
I am surprised that an independent locksmith has done it for you.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmw View Post
The above answers are, of course, incorrect.
Assuming the key you bought on Amazon comes with a BLANK/Virgin transponder chip, then you CAN purchase a programmer and write the new key into the CAS.
If it doesnt come with a virgin transponder chip, you can de-solder the transponder and solder in a virgin one.

ALSO,.. ensure the transponder is the correct model.

As far as programmers go... dont buy a Hitag or similar device that 'clones' keys unless you have a CAS1 or CAS2 key... OR a CAS3 key without any encryption. Either way, you dont have a key to copy so this method is a moot point anyway.

I suggest buying BMW Multi Tool (~$800 USD). There are other key programmers out there that will also get the job done but, either way you look at it, the programmer will run you north of $500. The BMW Multi Tool will allow you to add the key into the CAS and also remove or mark you old one as invalid.
Nice info to have. Youre right that multiple cars add up

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search