Complete rear and front suspension overhaul and upgrades . - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-22-2018, 05:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Complete rear and front suspension overhaul and upgrades .

I'm finally into my long awaited full and complete suspension refresh . Started purchasing parts since last December.. Planned on installation in January . I maintain 5 vehicles ,, moved into a new home ..Sometimes life gets in the way and not enough time to get to the things needed on my car ,, and kept putting it off .. But since then my struts leaked , all four .. and leaked oil every where .. and feels like I was driving a cream puff ..

So finally my baby is on deck ... I got with the program,, closed my eyes , opened my wallet ,, and finished ordering all the parts I need ,and still waiting on a few items . I'm knee deep with my project and started pulling suspension parts out .

I went with all Lemforder parts ,, G.A.S monoballs for thrust arms , KW V3 coilovers .
I've waited years for the V3's to come down in price , but they only dropped down a little .
Got tired of waiting and made a promise to my self that when my struts go ,, KW'S are going in. It's passed that time ...

This was years ago now . So I'm really excited , and since then the mono balls came out . So the combination of all brand new suspension parts , V3's in combo with G.A.S . Shes gonna have better than new handling , razor sharp steering with ARS too ! I'm going to be one happy man ,,with a mean , 4 door , Cornering Ma-chine !!!

So ,, out with the old and in with the new !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2037.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	819783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2038.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	819785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2125.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	819787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	819789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2053.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	819805  

Name:	IMG_2054.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	819807  

Last edited by H F; 09-22-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i 6MT
I am officially subscribing to this thread in hopes of some on going updates as you get toward the finish line! I must add that I'm VEEEERY jealous of you having your own man cave to work on your 5er!

-oldiegoodie
Old 09-22-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiegoodie View Post
I am officially subscribing to this thread in hopes of some on going updates as you get toward the finish line! I must add that I'm VEEEERY jealous of you having your own man cave to work on your 5er!

-oldiegoodie
It is nice to have a garage . I can't imagine not have tools and a garage , some thing I've never been with out . And I guess it's something to be grateful for . Just make it a goal , pursue it ,and next thing you know,, you will have one ..

Old 09-22-2018, 08:03 PM

Ops!! I messed up ..

Last edited by H F; 09-22-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:12 PM

Ok , so have the front driver and passenger side disassembled . Cleaned up the knuckles and brake parts .

Compressing springs and taking the necessary parts off the old struts to install on the new coil overs and new top hats strut bearings ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2072.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	819849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2073.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	819851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2074.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	819853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2075.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	819855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2107.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	819857  

Name:	IMG_2103.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	819859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2106.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	819861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2104.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	819863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2105.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	819865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2108.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	819867  

Name:	IMG_2043.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	819869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	819871   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2045.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	819873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2046.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	819875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2047.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	819877  

Name:	IMG_2109.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	819879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	819881  

Last edited by H F; 09-22-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:01 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
wait till you do the rear..

Im 50% thru the process on mine.. BUt i got side tracked with this motor now, My order of operation with the 5 series has been the same
struts first, the control arms in front, then control arms in the rear.

I have most of the parts sitting around except for the integral links and rear ball joints. and i need to save up for the last set of bushings i need,

BUT it it gets better, right around 200,000 miles when everything is done.. and it rides better then it did when it was brand new

15486372<-----
Old 09-23-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
wait till you do the rear..

Im 50% thru the process on mine.. BUt i got side tracked with this motor now, My order of operation with the 5 series has been the same
struts first, the control arms in front, then control arms in the rear.

I have most of the parts sitting around except for the integral links and rear ball joints. and i need to save up for the last set of bushings i need,

BUT it it gets better, right around 200,000 miles when everything is done.. and it rides better then it did when it was brand new
Actually I'm already there , all components are removed from the passenger side and waiting on the swing arm bushings to arrive . And guess what , and you probably already know the integral link bushing is a mono ball . So I'm cleaning parts while I wait for those swing arm bushings . Something is telling me to wait to pull those bushings till they come in . Because there is no part number on those bushings on real oem for reference . And the dealer was trying to say they only come on a new swing arm ,, because there is no part number ,,, which is rubbish .. I'll post up pics and information on that shortly , I got it all sorted out ..

Thats what I'm expecting to have a better than new feel . Glad to hear your info on the 200,000 mark . That's what I'm gearing up for now at 125,000 miles ..

Last edited by H F; 09-23-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xit
That is one empty wheel well. Looking forward to seeing the rear!
I feel like the original rear suspension holds up pretty well. Did anyone decide to upgrade any of it?
Old 09-23-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
Actually I'm already there , all components are removed from the passenger side and waiting on the swing arm bushings to arrive . And guess what , and you probably already know the integral link bushing is a mono ball . So I'm cleaning parts while I wait for those swing arm bushings . Something is telling me to wait to pull those bushings till they come in . Because there is no part number on those bushings on real oem for reference . And the dealer was trying to say they only come on a new swing arm ,, because there is no part number ,,, which is rubbish .. I'll post up pics and information on that shortly , I got it all sorted out ..

Thats what I'm expecting to have a better than new feel . Glad to hear your info on the 200,000 mark . That's what I'm gearing up for now at 125,000 miles ..
Apparently, the mono ball bushings that are used in front end aftermarket assembly, for instance G.A.S., use mono ball assembly from rear swing arms off of an M car. I haven't been able to find out which one though.

On another note, those KW V3's look really good. I've only started reading about aftermarket performance suspension for the e60 and turns out that the V3's are one of, if not the best coil over units out there.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530I, Sports Package
+1 Subscribed!

I have thought about doing this for awhile now, but read somewhere that you can not add "coil-over" for cars with ARSC. I guess that's not true?

Please keep us updated and thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_ View Post
That is one empty wheel well. Looking forward to seeing the rear!
I feel like the original rear suspension holds up pretty well. Did anyone decide to upgrade any of it?
The rear was holding up well , its showing its age but still not worn to the point of it clonking or any rattles .. The control and guide arm traction struts ball joint were gone . both boots were cracked , but no slop , just lost their tightness ..The swing arm ball joint boots in the integral link were in good shape , boots were looking alittle dry though . But the mono ball lost Its tightness like the the control arm and traction struts .. The swing arm bushings were showing rubber separation on the sleeve circumference and outside circumference . So they were about to go in the near future .. I feel like I have neglected the rear , but it wasnt making a single sound as far as clonking or rattles or sloppiness . The only effect that was noticable to me was that it was feeling like a marsh mellow , cause by the beyond worn out struts mainly ....

Last edited by H F; 09-23-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Apparently, the mono ball bushings that are used in front end aftermarket assembly, for instance G.A.S., use mono ball assembly from rear swing arms off of an M car. I haven't been able to find out which one though.

On another note, those KW V3's look really good. I've only started reading about aftermarket performance suspension for the e60 and turns out that the V3's are one of, if not the best coil over units out there.
interesting you brought that up ,, and was going to contact G.A.S and inquire about swing arm mono balls .. if you gather any information on that post it up .. cause ill drop the oem ones quick , for swing arm mono balls ..

KW have a great reputation and Ive gotten good customer service . My decision to go with KW was made at least six years ago .. all their coil overs are top notch .. Think you can find the V1 or 2's for around $1300.00 but ,, don't quote me on that ...
Old 09-23-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06530IDAN View Post
+1 Subscribed!

I have thought about doing this for awhile now, but read somewhere that you can not add "coil-over" for cars with ARSC. I guess that's not true?

Please keep us updated and thank you for sharing your experience.
Me too , this has been planned many years ago ..

No,, that it not correct information .. ARS in combo with coil overs it a great combo ...

I will , have lots of pictures to post up, Im a little father ahead than the pictures I posted so far , Ill catch up the pictures with my progress shortly . Ill work on that today ,, taking a day off of wrenching .. Waiting on all the rear parts and things to arrive from FCPeuro , and couple things ordered from KW , actually thru European Auto Source ...
Old 09-23-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
interesting you brought that up ,, and was going to contact G.A.S and inquire about swing arm mono balls .. if you gather any information on that post it up .. cause ill drop the oem ones quick , for swing arm mono balls ..

KW have a great reputation and Ive gotten good customer service . My decision to go with KW was made at least six years ago .. all their coil overs are top notch .. Think you can find the V1 or 2's for around $1300.00 but ,, don't quote me on that ...
I will definitely share if and when I get the information. There is a huge downside to the side-to-side softness of rear suspension, at least on my 5er. When I'm cornering at higher than average speed and encounter some bump or uneven surface, the car tends to swing outward just a tad. That's a given, taking into consideration the rubber bushings. I am not particularly satisfied with this phenomenon, for lack of better word. On slippery surface, if tires loose grip, that extra swing can easily put the car in over steer situation.

-oldiegoodie
Old 09-23-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I will definitely share if and when I get the information. There is a huge downside to the side-to-side softness of rear suspension, at least on my 5er. When I'm cornering at higher than average speed and encounter some bump or uneven surface, the car tends to swing outward just a tad. That's a given, taking into consideration the rubber bushings. I am not particularly satisfied with this phenomenon, for lack of better word. On slippery surface, if tires loose grip, that extra swing can easily put the car in over steer situation.

-oldiegoodie
You would think that DTC would kick in , and tap and brake the rear outer corner to counter over steer . To regain traction .. I can swerve to the right during aleft cornering turn and she"s solid . I havent experienced that on my car ..

How many miles ? Got sport suspension ? ARS ? Active Steering ?

Last edited by H F; 09-23-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
You would think that DTC would kick in , and tap and brake the rear outer corner to counter over steer . To regain traction .. I can swerve to the right during aleft cornering turn and she"s solid . I havent experienced that on my car ..

How many miles ? Got sport suspension ? ARS ? Active Steering ?
DSC and DTC definitely do the job required to keep the car safe. They work flawlessly, to say the least. I should say that I have a very sensitive feel for everything happening behind the wheel of my car. I should mention that I've never been in an over steer situation in my 5er. It was just a hypothetical view on how it performs. The car has 135,000 miles on the clock, no ARS (S229A=No) and no Active Steering (S217A=No). It has sport suspension settings (S226A=Yes).

It might just be my obsession with a vision to make my 5er as stable and stiff as possible with a good balance on daily drive ability. The rubber bushings, especially front ones don't particularly impress me on my BMW. At higher speeds, let's say 90-100 MPH on a windy day, it becomes a "struggle" to keep the car straight as arrow. I am 99% confident it has to do with BMW compromise on comfort and going with the rubber bushings.

Last edited by oldiegoodie; 09-23-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:25 AM

The knuckles cleaned up nicely , used simple green with brass brushes .
In December I installed new hub bearings , and didn't replace the bolts knowing I was getting back in there . So new boots are in , and now really enjoying my project . Passenger side is done , but I'm gonna have to drop the coil over . I'll explain later .

Driver coil over and knuckle are in , control arms are in but nothing is tight . So had to pull off on that too .. Reason is that I ordered extensions for the rebound dampning adjustment on top of the coil over fir the rears . And they sent the wrong one for the rears . The hex on the rod is 9 mm and the extension is 10 mm with a set screw .

So I had to reorder one . Got one a little longer and decided to add a 3 inch extensions on the fronts which has a 10 mm head that slips on to the strut rod Allen adjuster . Because I can't get my fingers in the strut tower hole and turn the adjustment knob that comes with the coil overs . So I pull the parking breaks on the fronts and started on the passenger rear .

I needed a little assistance . So I hired part time little helper . He had experience taking off x3 engine covers . So that qualified him .. Handled a 1-2 inch drive ratchet with a 18 mm deep socket with his left hand , 8 inch crescent with the right, like a champ . And pulled out the control arm bushings . 5 year old grandson making grandpa very proud ....

Sorry about the side ways pictures guys , have no idea why they take a 1/4 turn ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2055.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	819967   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	819969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2058.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	819971   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	819973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2060.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	819975  

Name:	IMG_1994.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	819977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2087.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	819979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1996.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	819981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2006.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	819983   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2012.jpg
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	819985  

Name:	IMG_2114.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	819989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2119.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	819991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2121.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	819993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2065.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	819995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2066.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	819997  

Name:	IMG_2068.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	819999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2197.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	820001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2198.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	820003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2199.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	820005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	820007  

Last edited by H F; 09-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
DSC and DTC definitely do the job required to keep the car safe. They work flawlessly, to say the least. I should say that I have a very sensitive feel for everything happening behind the wheel of my car. I should mention that I've never been in an over steer situation in my 5er. It was just a hypothetical view on how it performs. The car has 135,000 miles on the clock, no ARS (S229A=No) and no Active Steering (S217A=No). It has sport suspension settings (S226A=Yes).

It might just be my obsession with a vision to make my 5er as stable and stiff as possible with a good balance on daily drive ability. The rubber bushings, especially front ones don't particularly impress me on my BMW. At higher speeds, let's say 90-100 MPH on a windy day, it becomes a "struggle" to keep the car straight as arrow. I am 99% confident it has to do with BMW compromise on comfort and going with the rubber bushings.
ARS and Active steering make A huge difference compared to cars that don't ..

Some people dont like active steering because of the gear ratio intervention . But I can tell you for a fact it makes a difference during an emergency evasive maneuver .. I had to swerve around a chair on the freeway doing 70 after the guy in front of me clicked over .. I thought i was going to hit that chair for sure and I cranked the wheel so hard to avoid it ,, I thought I was gonna roll her over . But no,, she swerved level due to ARS and no over steering due to active steering gear ratio intervention .. I went around the chair and back into the same lane . My brother in law was in total amazement on how solid and planted she swerved with no body roll ,, solid as a rock !

Last edited by H F; 09-23-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
ARS and Active steering make A huge difference compared to cars that don't ..

Some people dont like active steering because of the gear ratio intervention . But I can tell you for a fact it makes a difference during an emergency evasive maneuver .. I had to swerve around a chair on the freeway doing 70 after the guy in front of me clicked over .. I thought i was going to hit that chair for sure and I cranked the wheel so hard to avoid it ,, I thought I was gonna roll her over . But no,, she swerved level due to ARS and no over steering due to active steering gear ratio intervention .. I went around the chair and back into the same lane . My brother in law was in total amazement on how solid and planted she swerved with no body roll ,, solid as a rock !
I've never had the chance to try an e60 with ARS technology and I bet it feels great. What's even more interesting though, is the fact that the e60 M5 does not employ ARS technology in it's setup. The stabilizer diameter on an M5 is thicker by 1.5mm (26.5) in comparison to conventional sport suspension of a 550i (25mm). With this in mind, I wonder why ARS was never used on the M5 if it aids in anti roll.

-oldiegoodie
Old 09-23-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I've never had the chance to try an e60 with ARS technology and I bet it feels great. What's even more interesting though, is the fact that the e60 M5 does not employ ARS technology in it's setup. The stabilizer diameter on an M5 is thicker by 1.5mm (26.5) in comparison to conventional sport suspension of a 550i (25mm). With this in mind, I wonder why ARS was never used on the M5 if it aids in anti roll.

-oldiegoodie
Ive wondered about that myself actually . Reckon its not suitable for race conditions vs street ...
Old 09-23-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Ive wondered about that myself actually . Reckon its not suitable for race conditions vs street ...
Well, since I don't have ARS, if I ever get to suspension upgrade, and I will, I'll definitely think about thicker, adjustable sway bars. H&R has 27mm front and 19mm rear upgrade with adjustable height mounts for versatility.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:45 PM

Started on the passenger rear and all components are removed .

When looking for the swing arm bushings , as I mentioned earlier .. there is no part number on real oem .. And I couldn't get one from the dealer or the guys at FCP euro ..

They both tried to say since there is no part number ,, they come with a new swing arm !

I'm like,, I cant accept this !! .. So I stumbled on some part numbers , two different ones because the swing arm has two different bushings .. So I went to ebay , yes guys, ebay !
I entered the numbers I stumbled on ,,, #3493401 and #34934301 ,,and bingo !! I have a confirmation !... The clouds opened up and the sun broke thru !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Original...dZ8xPG&vxp=mtr

So I go back to the dealer and said check this out , and they were like this number is for a F-10 ,X5,X6 blah,blah blah ... And couldn't confirm fitment , neither could FCP .

So the dealer was as use less as t.i.t.s on a bore hog . Bottom line , they couldn't confirm it due to the missing part numbers for the 60 on real oem ..

So got back to FCP ordered two of each and I'm going to see for myself ,, 6 bucks each ! for Lemf's ! Cant beat that ! ... The guys at FCP were awesome and said not the right ones send them back , and I'm like will do ..

So I'm very confident these are the right ones and will fit .. So I'm waiting on those bushings and all the rear parts from FCP ... Ill be cleaning parts and stuff in the mean time while parts come in ...

Last edited by H F; 09-23-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:06 PM

Here's the rear passenger side every thing is out .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2130.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	820045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2134.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	820047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2139.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	820049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2146.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	820051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2186.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	820053  

Old 09-23-2018, 02:19 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
Oh man Oh man.. total bmw boner Man i wish i could persuade you in to At least poly rear bushings

that is literally what i did to the 540, just used Bs Hd's and all poly all around.. its on rails..

your car is going to be on rails.. your going to need to invest in cross drilled rotors and sport pins all the way around.. The car is going to be faster

Oh.. and something i never thought id say (considering Ive done my own alignments on different shops hunter racks through out the years)

consider a factory alignment, its steep $ but i think the overall result is worth it on a brand new suspension

I mean i never had a bad alignment my tires always ware good, drives strait.. but when i let the factory do it, It came out a whole-nother level

zeroed across the board, Just a thought from when i was where your at

15486372<-----

Last edited by Burning2nd; 09-23-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:24 PM

The ball joints , and swing arm bushing .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2140.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	820059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2141.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	820061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2148.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	820063   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2149.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	820065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2155.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	820067  

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search