Bad grinding noise from front of car when in gear - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-04-2019, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto:
Bad grinding noise from front of car when in gear

I need help Identifying a problem

The car is a 2008 535xi wagon (e51)
It is my wife's daily driver, I should say WAS her daily driver.
She came in and told me it was making a noise like something was scraping.
I went and checked brake pads visually and with my hand through wheels before doing anything else and they are fine.

I went to drive it and as soon as I started going forward there was a bad grinding noise that was coming from he front possibly the passenger side but I am not 100% sure on that yet.

*The noise is only when it is in gear and moving.
*Noise sounds like brake pads completely worn with metal hitting rotors but i is definitely not
*If I shift to neutral the noise goes away
*Turning the wheel and going around corners do not affect the sound at all so I ruled out CV joint
*the car did have an issue with the transmission shuttering or jumping when driving normally in higher gears. This was more pronounced when driving in full automatic mode, In manual shift mode it would happen but only slightly. The issue did not happen when doing "spirited" driving. A local transmission shop (non BMW) said that the issue was most likely some type programming issue and they could not fix it.They suggested finding a shop that was familiar with BMW's and they could not recommend anyone so I have no reason to think they were lying.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or if anyone knows a reputable mechanic in the East Tennessee area please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto:
I forgot to mention that the transmission appears ti be acting normally. No slipping and goes through all gears fine
Old 09-04-2019, 07:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Check the wheel bearing. My old Jaguar started grinding. Wheel ended up collapsing on a highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
Check the wheel bearing. My old Jaguar started grinding. Wheel ended up collapsing on a highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
It does sound like a bearing bu it does not act like one.
This noise goes away completely when the transmission is shifted into neutral at 40 MPH only to return as soon as it is shifted back into gear.
This also came on pretty much instantly, I drove the car this past weekend and it acted fine with no noise.

I will check the bearings just to make sure. I hope it is something that simple but I have a bad feeling about this one.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto:
bump anyone.
It does not appear to be a bearing.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
Have you checked the front driveshaft u-joints or the transfer case and front differential? Putting the car up in the air, then having it running in gear might help shed some light on the issue.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabmw View Post
Have you checked the front driveshaft u-joints or the transfer case and front differential? Putting the car up in the air, then having it running in gear might help shed some light on the issue.
I do not have a lift, this weekend I am taking it to a friend that is a mechanic, he normally works on RV;s but said he would put it up on his lift and see where the noise was coming from. He does not think he is qualified to do actual work on it but will diagnose it better than I can.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
If it makes noise only in gear I'd think that's a pretty good sign it isn't something that rotates all the time. As in, it isn't: wheel bearings, driveshaft, differential -- these are all rotating while the car is moving regardless of being in neutral or not. Now, I can't hear your noise, but some noises may only be present under load, but it your description doesn't sound like one of those.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search