End All Battery Replacement Thread - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyachtie View Post
No need for additional programming the registration takes care of that at the same time as registration is just that, pick from the pick list which battery you register.
The coding for AGM or FLA is as simple as changing one line in the FA( options list) of the car with coding in NCS, which takes no longer than the registration , just switching from on program to another while he's got the car connected to the laptop.
You're right, and now that I think of it, I saw the menu where he chose everything on the laptop. But oh well, FLA was cheaper haha. I don't think I'd get anywhere near the conditions where an AGM would be better than an FLA for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: Corvette
So reading this thread it's recommending the advance or autozone battery with 950 CCA and 110 AH. From this thread it's appears the only thing that matters as far as coding the CAS module is that the AH matches replacement and whether it's a FLA or AGM battery. I have the original 850 CCA/110 AH FLA battery in my 535i. If I replace it with a 950CCA/110AH the CCA doesn't matter just AH correct? I have tool32 to register after install. I saw a couple folks with errors from installing a battery with bigger CCA but there is no where to set that and I am pretty sure there is no way car can calculate that. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-2015, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaff500 View Post
E60 Battery Replacement
I have done a ton of researching for you and moderators please make this a sticky for battery replacement in the E60

This IS kind of a pain but if you want to save money and get it done correctly THIS is the way to do it.

Duralast Gold/Battery 95R-DLG
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=820339
Here's the battery, AutoZone sells it for $179.99. IGNORE the AutoZone battery finder thing, it's COMPLETELY WRONG and spits out the wrong battery.

Or:
AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 95R, 950 CCA
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...gold_2130016-p
Here's the battery, Advance Auto sells it for $182.99. IGNORE the Advance auto battery finder thing, it's COMPLETELY WRONG and spits out the wrong battery.

Or:
http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...4L-850CCA.aspx
SLI95RH9

Old Battery: If this is your old battery
01 Battery from Exide (Warranty Only) 110AH 850A 1 61216901815 ENDED
01 Battery from Exide (Warranty Only) 110AH 850A 1 61217591085 ENDED

OEM Battery Specs:
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 850
Reserve Capacity (Min): 110
Battery Length: 394 mm - 15 9/16 in
Battery Width: 175 mm - 6 15/16 in
Battery Height: 190 mm - 7 1/2 in
Post Location: Top Post
Right Or Left Hand Positive: Right
Core Charge Applicable: Yes

New Battery (this is for the one I got from Advance Auto)
AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 95R, 950 CCA
Amp Hours: 110 hr
Battery Type: Lead Acid
BCI Group Size: 95
Cold Cranking Amps: 950 amps
Deep Cycle/Starting: Starting
Height: 7 1/2 in
Length: 15 9/16 in
Maintenance Free: Yes
Terminal Type: Top Terminal
Voltage: 12 v
Weight: 64 lbs
Width: 6 15/16 in

Autocraft Gold CCA 950 AH 110 RC 150
BMW OEM CCC 850 AH 110 RC 110

Other batteries that I think will work but not positive:
http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...ntity=148-690B Bosch from Bosch Premium Performance Battery Group Size 48 Pepboys $113.99
Part # 48-690B SKU: 9073748

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003c
DieHard Gold Automotive Battery - Group Size 48 $149.99

DO NOT GET THE H8 BATTERY FROM WAL-MART ALTHOUGH THE CCA IS BETTER THAN OEM AT 900CCA THE AH ON THIS BATTERY IS ONLY 80 WHICH IS NOT ENOUGH FOR OUR CARS!!!!

Out of all these choices I ended up getting the Advance Auto Battery and with using coupon code HUGE50 or TPT 30 I ended up getting $50 off of the battery. For these coupon codes to work you MUST purchase the battery online and do in store pickup!!!

If you get the Autozone or Advance Auto battery (Which I would recommend doing) they will not be able to touch your car: (I did this in the parking lot of advance auto)
Under the hood use a 12 volt source so that you car never loses power!

Battery removal and installation:
1. Remove the trunk carpet/plastic floor and lift the tray containing the spare.
2. Locate the battery by pulling the rear right corner panel inside of your trunk. There should be 1-2 plastic screws that hold the panel down.
3. Use i believe a 11-13mm socket wrench to unbolt the retainer bar (black) that holds down the battery.
4. Use a 10mm socket wrench to loosen the positive and negative terminal and pull them off the battery. Note that the positive plug has two connections. Only need to loosen the one that is connected to the battery (which is closest to the North edge)
5. Use a Phillips screw driver to loosen the long gray screw on the South side of the battery. This is clipping down the battery on the bottom.
6. Once loose enough, pull the battery straight out.
7. Replace battery and then make sure the metal clip is sitting on top of the edge of the battery case (at the bottom of the battery)
8. Tight screw so battery is held down from the bottom.
9. Attach plugs to Positive and Negative terminals and tighten the nuts.
10. Tighten the retaining bar back on and put the corner panel back.
11. Start your car and let it run for a couple of minutes and drive around the block.
13. If your car has the 4x4 warning come up all you have to do it sweep your steering wheel all the way to the left and than all the way to the right and this warning will go away.
14. If you didn't use the 12 volt source and lost power to the car, you must reset the date and time and also don't forget to reset the TPMS through the I-Drive.

After this is all completed you car should now be running fine and throwing no codes if done correctly: Call your nearest dealer or Indy shop and ask how much for "battery registration" You don't HAVE to do this but I would HIGHLY recommend it!!!
My one local dealer wanted $103.99 to register the new battery but another dealership through some talking to them opted to do it for FREE!!!

So my all in costs was $156 after the discount coupon code for advance auto and PA State tax of 6%

My dealer wanted $500 for battery replacement, installation and registering. This process I admit was a pain but with this information I already saved the leg work for you. I saved myself $344 doing the process this way!!!
BMW offered me a 20% discount ond service and parts and with that the FLA battery installed by them would come to 345$, the AGM 450$. The better local dealers didn;t even carry with the right 850 CCAs and they use interstate. I know folks to GoldCraft from Advanced, but I found those to only be so so. All wouold charge me to install even on their own batteries because it wasn't just plopping it into the enigne bay. So it was two hours no matter wha. NAPA wanted basically the same amount of $$ for a good AGMJ battery. But they can't register it.

Seems like BMW is the best deal for me right now.
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: G35
Fabulous thread! Looking into changing my battery but have one quick question. Did ALL 2008 BMW 535i come with an FLA battery from the factory? See, I bought my car used a little over two years ago and it had a Duralast battery in it. However, I'm pretty sure it was never registered or even if it's the right kind of battery because the INPA battery change record says it's never been changed. I just need to know what was originally in it. Any ideas?
Old 01-29-2015, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5 Series
Can you tell me if this process and battery types are the same for my 2009 328i Coupe ?
Old 01-29-2015, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88irocvert View Post
Fabulous thread! Looking into changing my battery but have one quick question. Did ALL 2008 BMW 535i come with an FLA battery from the factory? See, I bought my car used a little over two years ago and it had a Duralast battery in it. However, I'm pretty sure it was never registered or even if it's the right kind of battery because the INPA battery change record says it's never been changed. I just need to know what was originally in it. Any ideas?
The original battery in my '08 535i was a FLA type. What does your VO (Vehicle Order) say?

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, ARS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 01-29-2015, 03:33 PM

The VO reads -B110 which suggest there was coding done on the car, but I can't confirm it because I can't find the AH specification for my Duralast 49 DL battery. However, even if coding was done, I suspect no registering was done afterwards because the last battery change at KM field reads 0.00 on INPA.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88irocvert View Post
The VO reads -B110 which suggest there was coding done on the car, but I can't confirm it because I can't find the AH specification for my Duralast 49 DL battery. However, even if coding was done, I suspect no registering was done afterwards because the last battery change at KM field reads 0.00 on INPA.
-B110 is the correct code for the original 110AH FLA battery.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 AM

Thank you. With all I had read in this thread, I was under the impression the code was -B090 but I see why it's not. In any case this is good news since I just ordered an AutoCraft GoldBattery, Group Size 95R, 950 CCA which is 110 AH so I won't need to code, just register.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:43 AM

Correct. You are good to go.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 02-12-2015, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi & 2011 328ixdr
I ran a diagnostics with the BMWhat app the other day and the battery is down to 11.9v.

Is that getting into the replacement zone?
  • 2008 535xi -- Platinum Grey Metallic, Cobb AP3, RB Turbos, M5Tech Front Bumper, Navigation/Traffic, Ipod Integration, Voice Control, SAT, Bluetooth, Cold Weather Pkg., Fold Down Rear Seats, Through Loading System, Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06s.
  • 2011 328i xDrive with MSport Package -- Alpine White
  • 2004 530i -- retired w/130k miles, May 2014
  • 1983 735i Grey Market
  • 1980 525 Grey Market
Old 02-12-2015, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohornedfrogs View Post
I ran a diagnostics with the BMWhat app the other day and the battery is down to 11.9v.

Yes, it will probably fail soon.
A healthy battery should be above 12.2v. Everything below is not necessarily bad but it means that it's starting to degrade. If it's below 12v then it's either time to replace it or run the risk of being stranded
I went through it in my E60. I kept driving the cars even though it was posting 12v or less (Depending how long i left the car parked) and one day it simply wouldnt start. Luckily it was in my driveway.

Last edited by UltimateDriving; 02-12-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi & 2011 328ixdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDriving View Post
Yes, it will probably fail soon.
A healthy battery should be above 12.2v. Everything below is not necessarily bad but it means that it's starting to degrade. If it's below 12v then it's either time to replace it or run the risk of being stranded
I went through it in my E60. I kept driving the cars even though it was posting 12v or less (Depending how long i left the car parked) and one day it simply wouldnt start. Luckily it was in my driveway.
Thanks for the reply. I'll monitor it with the app the next week or so and start looking for the replacement soon. Good suggestions in this thread.

My battery died on my previous 2004 530i and I got stranded several years ago. Of course, that was before I had any convenient way to monitor it. I'm amazed at what technology is doing to help us maintain our cars.
  • 2008 535xi -- Platinum Grey Metallic, Cobb AP3, RB Turbos, M5Tech Front Bumper, Navigation/Traffic, Ipod Integration, Voice Control, SAT, Bluetooth, Cold Weather Pkg., Fold Down Rear Seats, Through Loading System, Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06s.
  • 2011 328i xDrive with MSport Package -- Alpine White
  • 2004 530i -- retired w/130k miles, May 2014
  • 1983 735i Grey Market
  • 1980 525 Grey Market
Old 02-13-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohornedfrogs View Post

Yes. Definitely. For any car.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:36 AM
Ja mei!

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesonia View Post
The better local dealers didn;t even carry with the right 850 CCAs and they use interstate. I know folks to GoldCraft from Advanced, but I found those to only be so so.
I love reading things like that..
I can assure you, that these batteries are made by the same manufacturer.
As long they have the same specs, you should buy the cheapest one... In the end you pay for the warranty and replacement policy rather than the actual product.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRK View Post
I love reading things like that..
I can assure you, that these batteries are made by the same manufacturer.
As long they have the same specs, you should buy the cheapest one... In the end you pay for the warranty and replacement policy rather than the actual product.
I'm glad you do,so you can read a little more.

The fact that there are only a few large battery manufacturers does not mean you are getting a battery made to the same specs in terms of materials and quality of assembly. The quality control on the line is different, and the grade of materials not necessarily the same.

Of course I would rather get the least expensive one in the long run, but that is not necessarily the cheapest, in terms of my time, and the probability of failure.

I have run diesel trucks pulling loads since I was a teenager, and I can tell you, there is a difference from the label you buy. The Ford International combo is a bombproof engine, but it still needs every bit of those 2 batteries to go.

Sometimes getting the bosch part under a different level from Advanced is OK, sometimes it's not.

In my experience, there is a difference in batteries and their label.

You are of course welcome to buy the cheapest product you wish.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:40 AM
Ja mei!

I work for the largest battery manufacturer here in the US and I know what is coming down the lines I am responsible for...
Batteries with the same Group Size, Crank Amps, etc only have different Stickers and containers (well, poly color). But I appreciate your support by buying the "better" batteries
Old 02-23-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRK View Post
I work for the largest battery manufacturer here in the US and I know what is coming down the lines I am responsible for...
Batteries with the same Group Size, Crank Amps, etc only have different Stickers and containers (well, poly color). But I appreciate your support by buying the "better" batteries
So you work for Johnston Controls selling to WalMart? Or for Exide?

Why don't you say that, instead of just being snarky?

And yes, even consumer reports shows there are differences, though that is true though out a single label on different specs.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...test/index.htm

Guess that's all crap too.
All of which is completely different than my original point, which was there were not cheap batteries in my area for the car, and no, I am not going to advance auto.

But hey, good to know you don't really care about what you make, it doesn't matter, and you just shove it down the line. Tells about America's continued decline in manufacturing.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i 6MT
Battery arguments will continue until the day we die.
Batteries are dynamic. If you buy an Interstate group 65 today and it gives 6 years service and then you go buy another one you are not assured it will be as good. It could be better even. The manufacturing plant can change. The owner of the company can change (I think johnson controls has been interstate's battery supplier since day one), The quality of lead is not a constant, how many times you played the radio for hours while cleaning up the car, did the alternator fail, etc. etc. all have impact on battery life.
My experience has always been good with batteries of several different brands because I charge batteries in my vehicles as a maintenance action twice per year for 24-36 hours after adding distilled water as needed-if needed-if possible. I have gotten 8 years out of many batteries and some have gone 10 years. My 2004 purchased riding mower has its original battery for instance.
Alternators usually do not do a good job of reversing sulphation from a deep discharge so a prophylactic battery charge can step the level of charge up on a battery and that adds life back to it. Sulphation is the leading reason a battery fails. I will say that the intelligent charging that BMW and many others have introduced in the last few years may have reduced the need as that system can charge at higher rate for longer periods when the monitoring detects low battery condition.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Ja mei!

End All Battery Replacement Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesonia

But hey, good to know you don't really care about what you make, it doesn't matter, and you just shove it down the line. Tells about America's continued decline in manufacturing.

...and that's we the both of us drive German cars, even though mine's built in the US.
Sorry for my snarkiness

Also, JCI owns 51% ( or 49%?) of Interstate Batteries and logically manufactures their batteries as well.

BMW's oem AGM batteries come from Germany: built by Varta, which is also owned by JCI.
And I'm not gonna lie: the Germans have their **** together!
Old 02-23-2015, 05:55 PM

Tiny, any idea who manufacturers the ACDelco battery my mechanic put in mine?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Ja mei!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX550 View Post
Tiny, any idea who manufacturers the ACDelco battery my mechanic put in mine?

I've never seen one ur even heard of acdelco. Google says they used to be owned by GM. I don't think they're made by jci.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins
AC Delco is for GM like Autocraft is for Ford.

Sent from my KFTT using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-23-2015, 09:45 PM

They've branched out from what I understand. I installed a steering gear on my '99 Wrangler re-manufactured by ACDelco. It's a quality brand. I even use an ACDelco air filter on my Jeep that is one of the best performing filters on the market.

I was just curious if you knew more about their batteries. My indie uses ACDelco batteries often and he said he's had good luck with them. The one he got for mine dropped right in and even had the vent tube in the same spot. It's been performing well since November.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins
Yes they have, but I was giving an analogy.

Sent from my KFTT using BimmerApp mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search