1986 BMW 528e inherited - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 06-25-2019, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto:
After installing a new battery she fired up and drove home fine. Have some serious issues and would really love some knowledge. Missing left brake light and turn signal. Bulbs are good. 4 ways activate for all amber lights. After trying to clean contacts on bulbs and fuses, now the starter will not engage and I cannot start the car. I don't know where the starter is located or if this is the problem. Haven't been able to locate a service manual. Any help with the electrical system and parts diagram would be extremely helpful.

Last edited by Aglaugh; 06-25-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 06:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
Hi, the bets manual is the Bentley. First thing to know about the 528e is that it has a timing belt, which is good for 4 years or 60,000 miles. If the timing belt breaks the engine becomes a large paper weight. So you need to do that even after you figure out why the car is not starting. If you do not, I have a few m20 engines for sale.

The starter is underneath the intake manifold on the drivers side of the engine, it is a major bear to get out. But I would check to see if the wires are connected well. Then try hitting it a few times with a small hammer. If the soliniod died or got stuck this can free it.

Good luck.

Andy
Old 06-26-2019, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto:
I had a blonde moment apparently. I wasn't pushing in on the ignition switch when trying to start it. Problem with starting was my fault. I'll try to find the Bentley manual. While I'm waiting on the manual, do you have any suggestions about why the driver's side brake light and turn signal won't operate? Have tail lights on both sides and the four ways work all around. Discovered I have a bad side marker bulb on the driver's side. That's the only bulb I can determine is bad. Thank you taking the time to reply and to offer your knowledge.

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
You can get the Bentley manual here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bentley+e...ref=nb_sb_noss

Tail lights - Assuming you've checked the fuses, twist them out and clean the contacts on the bulb holder and lens assembly. I usually rough up both areas with some fine sandpaper. You might want to bend the contact tab down a little bit. Positive ground if memory serves. You can get moisture in either assembly if things aren't tightened down.

This forum is more active and has a lot of good info: http://www.mye28.com/

Last edited by zod; 06-29-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
If you are having to do that you are having a switch that is starting die. This can go on for a while.

Also if the wrong bulbs are used then it will throw the light.

Try switching the light holder to the other side to see if you still get the same light.

Andy

Last edited by south26; 06-29-2019 at 07:02 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)
Today's Posts Search