Parking assistant - what am I doing wrong? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)

7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
The next generation G11/G12 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. Unveiled June 10th, with production starting in August the 6th generation 7 Series comes in a light weight package with extensive use of BMW i carbon fiber technology. The interior quality raises the bar with a touch screen and gesture controlled infotainment system. Exterior styling has been a sticking point with mixed reviews so far.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i
Parking assistant - what am I doing wrong?

2016 750i, has all the driver assist tech, including auto-park.

When driving past parallel parking spaces, I press the 'P' button on the center console and drive slowly but it never seems to detect available spaces.

On the occasion it does detect something and the auto-park dialog appears and I activate it, it inevitably tries to back in as if it were backing into a diagonal parking space.

I've read the manual on this feature (such as it is) and have also watched BMW's YouTube video on using the feature.

I'm pretty sure I've activated everything necessary in the menus, but I'm obviously doing something wrong. Anyone else encountered this or have any ideas?

Big thanks!

Chop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 740i
Hello, you should complain to the dealership right away. I have a 2017 740i and have the same problem besides the many others that I documented and complained to them many times.

This is how it works - not as advertized. We paid top $$ for technology that does not work unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2019, 06:48 AM

Did they do anything about it when you complained?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 Ford F350 Limited
I have not tried the auto park in a 7, but in my X5 you have to be signaling for a turn also IIRC. I don't use it often - after years of driving a large pickup truck you learn to not go places that require parallel parking.

It backs in very sharply and cuts very close to the car ahead.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:37 PM

Hmmm, having the turn signal on while looking for a spot is something I haven't tried, but I will. Thx.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d
2019 750 owner here. The park assist works perfectly in my car, and you shouldn't need to put your turn signal on until after you hear the notification that it has found a parking spot.

The only explanation I can think of is that BMW refined this tech over the years and the older models are kind of buggy maybe?
Old 06-11-2019, 05:05 AM

Seems any bugs should've been corrected by software updates, which is admittedly something I haven't looked into. I believe all the hardware between 2016 and 2019 should be the same, right?

Old 06-11-2019, 07:00 AM

I hope I did not give you a bum steer regarding the turn signal. I am working from memory regarding a feature I loved but rarely used. I recently sold the X5, so cannot go out and try it.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:02 AM

No worries either way. I won't use it much either but it's such a great show-off feature.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto:
I just picked up a CPO 2016 740 yesterday. My first Bimmer. I tested the the parking system a couple times in the dealer's lot with the sales guy for perpendicular parking and it got me in the spot both times. It was however well to the right in the spot rather than centered both times to the point where the passenger would have trouble getting out.

The sales guy may have it wrong and my memory isn't perfect on the matter but he had me (1) Push the parking button and (2) activate the turn signal in the direction to which you want to park while driving by a row of cars with a couple missing (3) drive past the spot as apparently perpendicular parking only backs into the spot rather than pulling in forward (4) step on break (5) confirm that you want it to park for you (6) push and hold the parking button (you must continue holding down the parking button until the car is done parking itself) (7) take foot off break and trust the car while praying to the insurance gods. Some where in the process it also prompts you whether you want to park Perpendicular or Parallel. Except for the start of the process everything was prompted on the screen including the perpendicular or parallel selection. Does anything in this process sound new? If so give it a try and let me know how it goes.

My salesman followed up with his genius this morning and they said that it should be centered in the spot every time and implied that we must have been doing something wrong. I now have an open appointment with the dealer's genius to run through the proper procedure and find out about the right bias issue I experienced. I will try to document it accurately and get back to you.

Last edited by CCTech; 06-11-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:54 PM

Thx for the info. Hoping to go try the turn-signal approach later this evening. And I've never been offered a choice by the system for parallel or perpendicular.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:10 PM

That description sounds like the process on my 2016 X5, except that it did not have an option for diagonal parking.

I studied the manual for the car I have on order, and it does not mention the turn signal at all.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 740i, 2006 750LI
I have a 2016 740i and have no issues with the self parking. You have to drive slowly for the car to detect an empty spot. The car actually goes about 2 cars past the empty spot before it notifies you of the empty spot. The car can either park to the right or left which is why you need to indicate what side you want to park into. Once the car notifies you of an empty spot, just follow the directions that pop up on the display.

Let me know if you have any other issues. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopOMatic View Post
Thx for the info. Hoping to go try the turn-signal approach later this evening. And I've never been offered a choice by the system for parallel or perpendicular.

Ok, ran through it with the genius and clarified everything. Today the car parked itself well on attempt one but didn't back up all the way when there was a chain link fence right behind the spot that it may not have liked. This was easy to fix by backing up another foot manually. If it was a shorter car this wouldn't have been an issue but the G12 is certainly not short. On attempt two the car put me perfectly into the spot between two cars.

Today's test experience aside here's the process and the potential variances on my 2016 740i with whatever version of the software I have. I don't know if different software can effect this stuff or not.

Short Version
1) Push the center console parking button and let the vehicle find a spot.
2) Stop the vehicle and use turn signal in the direction of the spot you want.
3) Press and hold the center console parking button and take your foot off the brake.

Detailed Version
1) Push parking button.
2) Make sure the box is checked on the screen for the assisted parking mode in the icon stack to the left of the camera image. For whatever reason some times it is and sometimes isn't. If it isn't just tap it or use your preferred interface. To me tapping is the fastest for this particular action.
3) Drive by spots close enough that you can see the green distance lines bouncing off parked cars on the screen until the system alerts you that it has found a spot and step on the brakes to stop the car. The system has you often 2 cars past the spot before it alerts you I think that it missed it every time but it's just later than you expect. The genius told me that this is because the vehicle wants to make sure that it has enough room to maneuver into the spot. The vehicle will usually figure out on it's own whether you will be parallel parking or perpendicularly parking. However if it's not sure it will ask you. The scenario when I experienced this was when two or more spots were available next to each other in which case the vehicle offered me the choice.
4) At this point the car will ask you to active your indicator in the direction of the spot that you would like to park in. Once you put your signal on...
5) The car will prompt you to press and hold the parking button on the center console.
6) Hold down the button and let it do it's thing. It will get VERY close to things but the genius assured me that it will never hit anything. Do realize of course that BMW won't be stepping in to pay for any damages if it goes wrong. If you let go of the parking button, step on the brake pedal or in any way interfere with the process it will cancel. I don't know if you have to fully start over or if there is an option to resume in certain scenarios.

If anyone has tips let me know and I'll edit this.

Cheers

Last edited by CCTech; 06-12-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:58 PM

Very helpful description!

As I recall I have interrupted the parking by taking my finger off the button. Pushing the button resumes parking. Same with braking - take your foot off the brake and it will resume parking. YMMV.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto:

Last edited by CCTech; 06-12-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:58 PM

Huge thanks, CC. That's exactly the process I've followed, with the caveat that it rarely spots and signals an available spot. The one thing I can think of that may be throwing the detection off is that I've been trying it in areas that have tons of parallel parking spaces but no other cars in them. (I've been going to empty places at night to test the system before relying on it.) Perhaps it's smart enough to know that I shouldn't need its help parking in an area with a dozen empty parallel parking spots.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Huge thanks, CC. The one thing I can think of that may be throwing the detection off is that I've been trying it in areas that have tons of parallel parking spaces but no other cars in them.

I think that you may be on to something here!
Let me know how it goes with other cars. Other than the fact that it's maddening when you are giving up control to the system to not cause damage to four cars it's really nice.

I hadn't thought about using the system to park in an "empty parking" situation. But it's not an unfair assumption to think that the car's cameras would pick up parking spot lines on the ground and park you in a spot without other cars around. Has anyone gotten this to work? In my three days of ownership I have used the cameras in an empty parking situation just to feed my OCD an find dead center.

In my limited testing several times I drove by six empty spots, past a car in the seventh spot and only then the car alerted. At the time I didn't think anything of it. The spot it alerted to was the sixth spot (as you'll remember it always waits a bit till you're past the spot). Note this was also the time when the vehicle asked if I wanted to go in parallel or perpendicular because it wasn't sure. It would have parallel parked me in spots five and six in this case if I'd asked it to.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:04 AM

I'll post results.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I'll post results.

Any luck? I actually haven't used the system again since the dealers parking lot. Someday I will PP and used it.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCTech View Post
Any luck? I actually haven't used the system again since the dealers parking lot. Someday I will PP and used it.

Sorry for the ridiculously slow reply here. Yes, finally got it to work. My conclusion is that it only spots a parallel parking space if there is another car in front of and/or behind the empty space.

I'd been trying to test the system in rows of empty PP spaces. That doesn't work. Perhaps the engineers figure if you can't PP yourself in a long row of empty spots, you shouldn't be driving a BMW in the first place, LOL?

Old 07-20-2019, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto:
Yea, my guess is that they'd think that you'd just drive into one of those. I had mine park me heavy right in perpendicular spots several more times. PP has been good though.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search