May 8 - 2020 M2 Comp ED - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 04-01-2019, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
May 8 - 2020 M2 Comp ED

Hi all,

I'm doing a Welt delivery of an M2 on May the 8th. I've been to Germany a couple times but never had to drive while over there.

Mostly I am curious whether anyone has good info (or a source for good info) about weather in and around the Alps at that time of year. I'd love to drive into Austria (or even beyond into Italy) but I'll be driving on performance tires and if there's likely to be any kind of ice/snow on the roads, that's probably a non-starter.

I'm sure we could stick to the lowlands and be perfectly okay, just looking for options!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 04:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Congratulations on that M2!

You are hitting the beginning of the fabulous season in Bavaria, Lower Austria and Italy. I don't think you should worry if you stick to major Interstates to cross the Alps. I would avoid OMG! passes, there is almost certainty of bad weather beginning of May, stick with Interstates through the Alps. As boring as that sounds, keep in mind that it is about 120 miles max - the rest of it you can drive on normal roads.

Once you get to Bolzano, it will feel like early summer anyway. If you have specific places/towns in Italy to visit, ask. Otherwise, rule of thumb for first timers : stay as little as possible in Venice and as much as possible in cities like Padova and Verona. Good luck and have fun!

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 04-02-2019, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: '19 SG M5
I have a pickup on May 9. I was hoping to drive both the Stelvio Pass and the Grossglockner.

Too early in the year?

I'm picking up an M5 (4WD).

FYI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurnwald View Post
I have a pickup on May 9. I was hoping to drive both the Stelvio Pass and the Grossglockner.

Too early in the year?

FYI
What tires come on 4WD M5? If max performance summers, I (personally) would not go. Just my opinion, not Cosmic Truth. What you CAN do is check weather that same day before going up and be fully prepared to do a U-turn and come down on the same side if stuff hits the fan.

I remember seeing a video on this forum by someone going there in June and getting hit with sleet and there was snow on the side of the road at the summit.

Good luck to you either way and enjoy that ED!

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

Old 04-02-2019, 02:28 PM

Thanks Mark! Why do you recommend staying out of Venice as an Italy newbie? Just congestion and so on?
Old 04-04-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_John View Post
Thanks Mark! Why do you recommend staying out of Venice as an Italy newbie? Just congestion and so on?
Basically, the city is no more. Those very, very few people who are left that actually live there signed multiple petitions to protect them from tourists - to UNESCO included. Frankly, I am at loss to try to explain how bad it is - maybe imagine being around Times Square past 9 PM on December 31st - that might get close. Do you really want to be in that?

I fully understand that, if you go first time (aware it might be the last time), you simply must go. Very few will return if given the opportunity. Just don't allocate two or three days to stay there - that's all.

I haven't been in the city for at least 10 years or more. I land at VCE (Venice airport code) at least 3-4 times each year. At least one time a year I have blank check to go and spend whatever in there because I am with customers - last time, I took them to water taxi at the airport and then waited for them 4 hours later at the airport dock where they arrive. They admitted it was not worth it.

Last edited by Mark K; 04-04-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto:
I just went to my local dealer and was able to get an allocation for the M2C.
They told me European Delivery is not available for the M2C... which I'm finding out is a lie.
Also they want 5k above MSRP...
So thats a 10k swing from ED pricing, plus no great vacation.
I plan to go down tommorow morning to negotiate.

How did you get ED from your dealers?
I live in NorCal.

Thanks guys!!!

EDIT: Also were you able to negotiate standard ED MSRP?

Last edited by Terry_Brogard; 04-05-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:23 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: cars with studded tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
What tires come on 4WD M5? If max performance summers, I (personally) would not go. Just my opinion, not Cosmic Truth. What you CAN do is check weather that same day before going up and be fully prepared to do a U-turn and come down on the same side if stuff hits the fan.

I remember seeing a video on this forum by someone going there in June and getting hit with sleet and there was snow on the side of the road at the summit.

Good luck to you either way and enjoy that ED!
i have the same Michi PS4 that come std on M5 on my '19 Bullitt Mustang. I ran snow tires on the Bullitt this winter, but made the big mistake of swapping back to the PS4 about 1 week early, and found it *impossible* to get back up our driveway. I was amazed how poorly the PS4 do in the slightest snow and ice - I mean traces. Prior to this sad awakening i would have called BS, as I once drove my brand new Porsche 997 TT from Bellingham WA to SoCal in the dead of winter - but that was Michi PS, not the newer, MUCH different PS4.

Have fun with your new ride; it's a wonderful machine.

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 04-06-2019, 07:25 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: cars with studded tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Basically, the city is no more. I am at loss to try to explain how bad it is - maybe imagine being around Times Square past 9 PM on December 31st - that might get close. Do you really want to be in that?
I haven't been in the city for at least 10 years or more. They admitted it was not worth it.
^^^^ Agree 100%, it ain't what it used to be. Venice; where the sewer meets the sea.

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 04-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: Night Rod Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_Brogard View Post
They told me European Delivery is not available for the M2C... which I'm finding out is a lie.

I live in NorCal.

Thanks guys!!!

If you're close enough and are willing to go north, Jim Mannheimer in Salem was really great and knowledgeable with my M240 ED .
Old 04-09-2019, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808dakine View Post
If you're close enough and are willing to go north, Jim Mannheimer in Salem was really great and knowledgeable with my M240 ED .
Thanks for the infos.
I ended up driving 20 min down the road to Sacramento they had 1 allocation left and charged me only MSRP with ED discount. So it worked out.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: F90 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurnwald View Post

Too early in the year?

FYI
Hopefully it'll warm up a little and the GGP will be open for you. I'm going 2 weeks ahead of you and it will still be closed during my time there.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_Brogard View Post

I live in NorCal.

Thanks guys!!!

I had to call around a bit. Without naming names, the local dealer I go to for service (in San Diego) wanted 10k OVER US MSRP for one of their m2 competition allocations and refused to do Euro delivery on it - period. We have several dealers in the area besides them, and I'll likely go elsewhere for future service (and deals) because that's just rude.

About European delivery - It's not because they can't do it, it's because they don't want to. Something about losing an allocation. I'm sure someone more versed in the dealer side of things can explain it.

I'm working with a dealer in the greater LA area instead. The guy I'm working with is very transparent about the whole process and admitted he couldn't give me the full ED discount (see above), but instead 1k below US MSRP. Still enough to pay for my airfare. I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could find a place that would give the full discount, but it's going to take some extra legwork. I respect that dealers are businesses and don't besmirch their right to earn a living. A seamless deal with an honest advisor has a value, and a going-forward working relationship with a guy like that is worth even more.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_John View Post
About European delivery - It's not because they can't do it, it's because they don't want to. Something about losing an allocation. I'm sure someone more versed in the dealer side of things can explain it.

I'm working with a dealer in the greater LA area instead. The guy I'm working with is very transparent about the whole process and admitted he couldn't give me the full ED discount (see above), but instead 1k below US MSRP. Still enough to pay for my airfare. I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could find a place that would give the full discount, but it's going to take some extra legwork. I respect that dealers are businesses and don't besmirch their right to earn a living. A seamless deal with an honest advisor has a value, and a going-forward working relationship with a guy like that is worth even more.
Here is very simple explanation. Most cars eligible for ED are cherry on the cake for smart dealers. Or they used to be. This means that, a dealer can sell as many as they please and BMW will keep making them. On the top of that, they will get all cars allocated by BMWNA to them in their dealership to sell as US delivery. Makes sense?

///M cars were always out of that - meaning, for every ///M car dealer sells (ED or US delivery), they will count against cars allocated to that dealer. If the ///M car is very desirable, they can sell it for over US MSRP and have no incentive to give you ED price for it. On the other hand, they can sell 300 230i coupes and convertibles as ED and still get all other 230i cars already allocated for US delivery. So, even if they made "only" $1,000 per transaction, that's over quarter million bucks in a year - therefore the incentive to sell as many as they could.

I haven't been on Ask-a-dealer forum for a long time, but above is basically it for ///M cars. I think I heard that even some "pedestrian" versions started counting towards allocation, but I am far from sure on that.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search